Author Topic: 1st time @ the range, and some mixed feelings.  (Read 1788 times)

Offline KTamez

1st time @ the range, and some mixed feelings.
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:37:18 AM »
Took my new R9s Stealth for the first time today, and I am getting some mixed feelings. Started off with 2 mags of 147gr Win Ranger T-Series which she ate with no problem. I couldn't get on paper which was abit demoralizing.... I am by no means a great marksman, but I am seemingly way off with this piece. I was in good shape with my HK P30, and Walther P22. I am not supremely worried about this as I expect if I ever actually need this one it will be in closer quarters... But a disappointment nonetheless.

Next step was trying some plinking ammo. Had two FTEs in 10 attempted rounds with some Remington stuff, and didn't bother to try the Brown Bear stuff I had, as I didn't want to put steel cartridges in this new expensive Barrel/Gun.

I am low on HPs so I put it away for the day, figuring on getting some 115gr Gold Dots everyone here seems to love, and see if we can give her another go.

What are you guys using for FMJ ammo with your R9s?

Kurtis
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:40:54 AM by KTamez »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: 1st time @ the range, and some mixed feelings.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!  Advice from Dino, Tracker, Corey, and Richard here on the Forum, use Winchester Silvertips 115 gr. HP or Gold Dot 115 gr. HP not FMJ.  Have used that advice and never had the first problem.

It works!   :)   ::)  Some have used Winchester White Box 115 gr. HP with no problems, but since the above two work for me,  I'll just stick with what I know does the job!

Happy shooting!!

Ken
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:52:17 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline KTamez

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »
Yeah, thanks to this forum I went into it knowing the R9 could b abit finicky in regards to ammo. The somewhat comical part to me is *most* semi auto handguns have a harder time eating HPs in general with FTF issues.

Now I just have to find some Gold Dots (normally my 2nd choice to Ranger T-Series that I keep). That will probably be interesting.....

Offline olpanrider

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:31:44 PM »
With ammo being scarce right now, I wanted a comfort level that my R9 would perform with more than one or two kinds of ammo. Mine feed six different kinds satisfactorily. See my range report for more details.........

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Pup!
As others have said, 115g WWB is a good choice for plinking.
Pups can be a bit snappy, and it's easy to flinch. Have
someone load a mag for you with a snap cap hidden inside.
It can be a real eye opener, and doing this has helped me.

Rick

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:15:06 PM »
Rick.  Good information!!    :D    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln