Author Topic: Also 1st Range Trip - Major Malfunction!  (Read 6989 times)

Offline Paindoctor

Also 1st Range Trip - Major Malfunction!
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
I too, just had the good fortune of purchasing a brand new R9S Stealth Elite from a very reputable dealer in South Florida. Took the pup to my local range, and by golly - the first round wouldn't detonate! Then the third, then the fifth, and so on...It got so scary, because I waited an appropriate length of time, before unchambering the non-fired round, and sometimes there would be smoke inside there, along with what looked like a half detonated live round.

I had the owner of the gun shop - very experienced with Rohrbaugh, etc. shoot some different ammo - self defense rounds and the same things were happening to them. I ultimately packed it in for the day, as I thought by continuing, I would be risking a major injury either to myself, or the gun.

Before I ask for advice - the gun was cleaned, lubricated, different kinds of "correct" ammo was used ( so it's not the ammo), different magazines were used (so it's not the magazines)...it just seemed like the the firing pin was very light on some of these rounds. What do you all think and suggest I do? Also possible is that the rounds weren't being chambered and seating properly?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I am going back to the place I purchased tomorrow for his response as well.
Paindoctor
"...and when you run (a legit pain clinic) nowadays...your Rohrbaugh is never far away..." - Thanks to Karl, Maria, and Jim of Hiddenholsters.net - 'The Very Best' in custom concealment

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Also 1st Range Trip - Major Malfunction!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
Welcome, Paindoctor: I can feel your pain. Some of us had problems with light strikes on hard primers with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I don't think that is your case but you didn't stipulate which ammo you used. Small .9mm guns may have a tendency to be light strikers, especially with hard primers. This could be a light hammer spring but I would contact Rohrbaugh first and foremost.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:29:45 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »
Paindoctor.  Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry you're having problems with the Stealth.  Sounds like you may have touched on the problem with the light firing pin strikes.

Could be a weak hammer spring, as tracker suggests, don't know.  I would call Maria at the factory soon as possible at 1-800-803-2233.  She can give you advice or get you an answer on what to do.

Others here on the Forum, too, may know the answer.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

jhs27275

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »
I would be interested in knowing the type of ammo that was being used.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »
     Paindoctor, first of all welcome to the forum, although you probably don't feel too happy about things right now, I can assure you that it will work out. Call Maria at Rohrbaugh and she will take it from there. Like you, that smoke floating around in there scares hell out of me. Like you, I was a little unhappy with my first outing. I now have four of them and think that they are the best guns in the world!    Gene
birdman

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »
When you go back tomorrow try shooting it again.  This time pull the trigger with authority, you dont have to yank it but pull it quickly and see what that does for you.  

Offline Chihuahua TN

• Denial, after all, is a powerful thing!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »
Paindoctor (anesthesia or dental service?) I could call the factory and inquire about a light hammer spring and avoid ammo with a reputation for hard primers (were you shooting  Hornady CD's). I have two R9's and the only issue I had was a FTF with a "single" gold-dot that also did not fire in my hi power and 92fs, keep us informed.
Mike

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
WOW! I can see in a matter of minutes...I am part of a fraternity. All of your comments have been so appreciative, and helpful. I will call Maria tomorrow pronto, and see what she says. I would probably rather have the factory themselves fix it, since they really know the gun better than any one else, such as a community gunsmith, etc.
Keep you posted and thanks again.
Paindoctor
"...and when you run (a legit pain clinic) nowadays...your Rohrbaugh is never far away..." - Thanks to Karl, Maria, and Jim of Hiddenholsters.net - 'The Very Best' in custom concealment

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
Paindoctor, Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your problems and the other replies on the matter seem to have covered all the things I could think of.
 A call to Maria will probably bring a satisfactory result.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 07:50:46 AM »
First, let me also welcome you to the Forum.

Without knowing the brands of ammunition you used or having photographs of the pistol's internals to examine, it is difficult to offer a diagnosis with any certainty. However, it would appear to involve a problem with the firing pin assembly. I would give particular attention to that area to see if I could identify some obstruction there. It could be something simple -- dried lubricant, a brass shard from test firing at the factory, etc.

One thing is certain. If there is a mechanical problem with your R9, the "Team Rohrbaugh" will make it right.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
First, let me also welcome you to the Forum.

Without knowing the brands of ammunition you used or having photographs of the pistol's internals to examine, it is difficult to offer a diagnosis with any certainty. However, it would appear to involve a problem with the firing pin assembly. I would give particular attention to that area to see if I could identify some obstruction there. It could be something simple -- dried lubricant, a brass shard from test firing at the factory, etc.

One thing is certain. If there is a mechanical problem with your R9, the "Team Rohrbaugh" will make it right.

+1 !

Welcome to the forum Paindoctor and don't be discouraged.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
WOW! I can see in a matter of minutes...I am part of a fraternity. All of your comments have been so appreciative, and helpful. I will call Maria tomorrow pronto, and see what she says. I would probably rather have the factory themselves fix it, since they really know the gun better than any one else, such as a community gunsmith, etc.
Keep you posted and thanks again.

Good decision, Paindoctor.  It will be interesting to see what Maria had to say.  Hope all goes well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Paindoctor

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
Well, I got through to Maria, and she is definitely knowledgeable about Rohrbaugh. She looked up my serial number, verified that it was, in fact, an Elite and created in 2008.
She told me how to send the gun back to Rohrbaugh for fixing, and I will FedEx it Monday. (She said not to overnight it on a Friday.).
I will keep you all posted along the way, and again - I want to thank each and every one of you. Your support and kind words of encouragement meant a lot to a newbie, who just dropped a bundle (and was very upset and disappointed). The fact that many of you have had kind of similar experiences, only to go on to owning several Rohrbaughs - gives me optimism, and hope.
(and by the way - that's Anesthesia Pain Management to the person who asked).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:17:56 AM by Paindoctor »
Paindoctor

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »

They will take care of it and you will be a happy camper. I was wondering about the gun being made in 2008 and your just recently buying it new. That seems like quite a time gap to me.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
PD:

If I were betting, I would put my money on fouling in the firing pin channel due to lubricant gumming during the two years that Elite sat on the shelf. Those Elites are works of functional art.

Please keep us informed.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"