Author Topic: Test for a Father-in-Law  (Read 18337 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Test for a Father-in-Law
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:34:10 PM »
Thursday evening, my younger step-daughter and her husband stopped by our home to visit and to show me a present she had just received from my son-in-law. She was obviously very excited as she pulled a hard pistol case from a shopping bag, announcing that she was scheduled to take the CCW course and examination. I recognized the case. I had given it to her to use for storing her late father's S&W .38 Special J-Frame "Snubby" Revolver. She opened the case and proudly displayed the contents -- a Hi-Point .380 with trigger lock installed. It could barely fit in the case.

"Where's your father's .38?", I asked.

"I can't shoot it as well as this one," she replied, "and I might want you to store it for me again in your gun safe."

"That Hi-Point is a little large for CCW, even in .380 ACP," I said, "but you need to qualify with a weapon you can shoot accurately -- and I'm glad that you're finally taking the CCW class."

I looked at my son-in-law, who was beaming with pride.

I looked at my lovely little step-daughter, who was also beaming with pride.

I didn't know whether to laugh with joy or derision. I'm just glad I used to play poker.

When they had left, "Herself" looked at me and smiled. Then she said, "I know what you were thinking, but you handled that rather well . . . and don't get the idea of giving her a pistol too expensive for her husband to afford. He meant well, and you would just embarrass him."

I got up and poured myself two fingers of an amber liquid.

:-/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:38:34 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Test for a Father-in-Law
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »
Well played, Richard!    :)  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
   Richard, it's really hard to be quiet sometimes, but very important and well worth it in the long run. Good job!!   Gene
birdman

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »
Well done; I am up to three fingers of scotch trying to suppress memories of encounters with my son-in-law. Surely, she can't enroll in the course with the Hi-Point. Maybe you could offer her some range time with it and if it works possibly give her a quality gun later as a holiday or birthday gift; but I'm sure you have a good plan in mind.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:26:29 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
My bet is, she can.  Our CCW course let you shoot anything you wanted; you just had to qualify.  We had folks from 22's all the way to .45's.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »

Maybe a crossbow in N.C.?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
I do think it had to be a firearm.   ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »
Maybe a crossbow in N.C.?

tracker,
   Now that was uncalled for, all though funny, but I'm just a visiting yankee. ;D

Richard,
    Well played. The good thing about a Hi-Point is, if you run out of ammo you can throw it and kill the perp. (almost the same weight and shape as a brick) ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »

KJ,
Thanks for the impetus to check our minimum caliber: it is .32, very minimal but slightly more than .22 although in some cases I would prefer a .22 magnum.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
I used a Ruger .22LR single action.  Had no problems.  Used this because it was cheaper to shoot.  Not that I really cared, but sure didn't want to waste my .454's, 45LC's, or even .38's.  

It worked out well.    :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »

How could you have any problems with that one? I don't blame you for keeping it simple but that is a bit unrealistic for concealed carry.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »
Why is it unrealistic?  All you have to do is prove you can shoot!   ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 11:08:13 PM »

The .22 proves you are breathing and vertical; reminds me of some of the FAA Doctors I chose for flight physicals: not exactly Astronaut levels.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
Well, OK!    ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! I just had to vent a bit. And as Tracker observes, I'm working on a plan.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"