Author Topic: 2nd Range Report  (Read 3544 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
2nd Range Report
« on: June 11, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »
Hello again everyone!

For the prelude to this thread, read the Speer 147gr GDHP thread.

2nd range trip.  25rds Speer 115gr GDHP, 25rds Speer 147gr GDHP.  50rds Winchester 115gr Silvertip.

My pistol still jamed with both of the Speer loads but not nearly as bad as with the ammo I took to the range the first time(see above mentioned post).  

What I have found:  My gun definately likes the Winchester Silvertip 115 gr JHP over either of the 2 Speer loads.  I also find that the Rohrbaugh definately requires a break in.  With the last of my Win. Silvertips I managed to get 6 magazines fired with only one failure to feed.  At 12yds I saw no evidence of bullet tumbling on the target, even with the Speer 147gr GDHP.

I am going to clean and lube my gun up, get about 5 boxes of the Winchester 115gr Silvertips and hopefully get back to the range this comming Sunday to shoot again.  This second range trip was a relief as I think the Winchester 115gr Silvertips may be the ticket with my R9s.

If anyone has any recomendations on a type of ammo whatsoever, like Glazer's or anything please post as I am willing to try it but as I said before the Winchester 115gr Silvertips seem to be the load my gun likes.

The next range trip will be the real test.  I am optomistic that my jam problems are going away and I will be confident enough to trust the R9 as my carry gun.

I will be in touch and am open to ALL ammo suggestions.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: 2nd Range Report
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:02:05 PM »
I can only say that in mine, the GD's perform well - and it also eats about any FMJ I give it when practicing.

That said - I think for any individual and gun - what works is what should be used and kept for carry.

I had IIRC no real probs with Silvertips but just found they were less impressive re expansion, compared to GD's - minor point really when after all - gun function is everything.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

ronc

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:46:15 PM »
as i said one time before,  i have only had my pup for a little over a week.  I was disappointed in my first firings but there was such an improvment by the 2nd trip to the range that i think by the 3rd or 4th trip, all is going to be well.  I believe my guy needs a little breaking in.  By the way, how do you fire this gun that much at one setting?  about 30 firings and i have to go home.  My hand is sore for about a week.  ;D Ron C

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 09:01:43 PM »
ronc,  
Welcome to the forum.

My R9S, a July 2005 build, has 700+ rounds thru it.
This gun definitely prefers Winchester Silvertip 115 gr ammo.
Thru about 300 rounds, Speer Gold Dots fed well.  Then they became a bit "iffy" feed-wise.  I switched to the Silvertips and now have 100% reliability.

For more comfortable shooting, I & a lot of forum members have found skateboard tape on the front & backstraps helps - A LOT.  I used the tape for a while, then noticed some people were recommending using a slip-on grip sleeve.  I had a Pacmayr #4 in my box of stuff.  It fits perfectly, works as well as the tape and looks better.  (Personal preference here, but I don't care for finger swells on my grips, so I ground the single finger swell off the Pacmayr sleeve.)

Hope this helps,
Steve