Author Topic: Sig vs. R380  (Read 8438 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Sig vs. R380
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
I just looked at Sig website based upon my interest sustained in another string on this forum and, lo and behold, Sig has come out with a new gun - their P238. The bad news? It's a .380.

It is my guess that Sig is answering the popularity of the Rugar LCP. It is small and has the advantage of a slide release, frame mag release and positive safety. But, it is still a .380.

This took me by surprise, nonetheless. Anybody seen a Sig P238 or had one in their hand?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Sig vs. R380
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
a report is that it shoots great.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
Thanks Tom. My favorite Sig is the P239 as I love the wedge frame. (Please tell me that I don't have to defend that opinion, considering the R9 frame configuration!)

Sigs are bulky, as I previously stated. Had Sig been able to shrink the P239 by 25 to 30%, with a decent caliber, I would be there pronto.

I think the proliferation of the .380 (R380, Ruger LCP, Micro Eagle and now Sig P238) is a reflection of new gun buyers, particularly women, who may be intimidated by more potent calibers.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
Please note: I did NOT place that avatar in my last post. Are avatars taking over the world?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 04:27:46 PM »
Please note: I did NOT place that avatar in my last post. Are avatars taking over the world?

ACP:

Was an avatar added to your post by some "hacker"? Only you are supposed to be able to modify one of your own posts. If that happened, please notify the Administrator. He has no tolerance for "hackers" or trolls" on the Forum.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
I am not sophisticated enough to know if the avatar was placed there by a hacker or a vagary of the website.

I am comfortable with conventional useage of my desktop and very comfortable with my blackberry. However, what happens "underneath" is foreign to me.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

I picked a SIG P238 with night sites up but have not fired it.

Very well made, but having my LWS .380 (I got from Tom theirishguard)  in a back pocket holster is the .380 I usually carry.

Got the SIG for the fun of it   :)

cell pix
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:16:49 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »
Mountain Man

Thank you for the post. Wow; it is smaller than I imagined. Sigs are great guns but I am not a fan of the .380, as previously stated.

I wonder if Sig will reverse Rohrbaugh's activity (R9 to R380) by using their P238 platform to graduate to a more potent caliber?

In any outcome, I like the trend.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
I picked a SIG P238 with night sites up but have not fired it.

Very well made, but having my LWS .380 (I got from Tom theirishguard)  in a back pocket holster is the .380 I usually carry.

Got the SIG for the fun of it   :)

cell pix

Good looking gun.  It's good to do things for the fun of it.  Keeps life interesting.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »
I am a Rohrbaugh partisan which is easily told by my posts and support of this website. However, did any of you, (besides Mountain Man who already bought one), get a load of Sig's pricepoint? It is HALF the cost of an R380, with options and features that many of us want.

The last thing I want is for Rohrbaugh's business to suffer. However, maybe this chess move will accelerate the advent of the R45!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
Yes, I did notice the price, and liked the features.  Maybe the Rohrbaugh 45 will have some of these.  We can hope.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln