Author Topic: r9 with failures  (Read 17880 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: r9 with failures
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
R5700 series serial numbers:  Double check the magazines for FTF FTE failures. Remove the baseplate and count how many full coils are there. The best mag springs have 12 coils. Check that there is no dirt behind the extractor in the slide. Sometimes dirt accumulates behind it making the grip edge much smaller and sets up a "ramp like motion" between the extractor and the spent ammo casing, there by not grabbing the casing well enough. Also, do as you mentioned. . . . . give her a good cleaning and oiling. Get back to us Bell when you have time and check these things out. Ammunition, in the case, I would start off with what we used in the factory for test firing:  American Eagle 115 FMJ 9mm

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
I cleaned it and replaced the spring. Im waiting for the amo you suggested to arrive and I will take it to the range. Thanks for all the help.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 10:11:57 PM »
Hey,
Don't leave us hangin after the little R9 runs sweet..we want a full report after the range. ;)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »
Good luck with it bell. Looking forward to hearing your range report too.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
Just got back from the range...

Magazine 1-2 no problem.
Magazine 3-5 failure to feed on the second round
Magazine 6-7 no problem

I'm not sure if that would be considered successful. The mag does have 12 coils, I oiled and cleaned everything. I do have pictures of the three ftf's.

I'm super surprised at how accurately I can shoot this gun at 20 yards.

On a side note, the slide on my seecamp 380 flew off and landed next to the target. I'm sending it back to seecamp, they seem helpful, we will see how it goes.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
Bell. . . . . Good to hear your report here. Well, let's see now: 

About 42 rounds through 7 magazines ....... check

3 FTF on 3 different mags (just one per mag) ....... check

Shooting to 60 feet!? ........  amazing   ....... 
       Keep in mind this is NOT a distance gun, no "snubby" is. . . but rather designed for up close and personal. Just saying.

Sounds like, overall, you should be good to go. . . . IMHO.

What ammunition did you use for this range report?

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
Eric.

Thanks for the reply, I ordered what you recomended, the american eagle 115 fmj. it was actually the full 50 rounds, i must have lost count somewhere... but, the failure to feed, I took a picture of everyone... a total of 3, no falure to eject or fires...

Its better, thats for sure. I ordered the spring sets from wolf, so I will replace all the springs, clea and oil it and just run 3 mags thru it once a month or so. I will try and post pictures

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 06:59:47 PM »
the 3 failure to feeds and my see camp that came apart.

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
The seecamp recomened an amo that I couldnt find, so I orederd what I though was the closest thing, train and defend winchester low recoil 95g hollow points. they recomend 90g silvertip hollowpoints and a few others on thier website, I did check and couldnt find any of thier recomended amo at midway or cabellas, it was on back order with no order date...

I love that little gun but, not if it comes apart in my hand. They seem great to talk to, hopefully we can get it resolved.

I love the r9 too, it is a bit big still for a wallet holster, I might try and carry it while im waiting on the seecamp, since i have a hedlley holster for it, Im having them make a front pocket holster for me now.

About shooting at 20 yards, I was hitting the silloutte...two bulls eyes out of sh$t luck, a few arm shots and a lower abdomin but all hit the siloutte.. I grew up on a farm in upstate new york, shooting a little 22 riffle every day in the winter. i got pretty good at 100 yards or so. with a pistol, I litterally couldn't  hit the side of a barn.

I watched a you tube video of an old guy that was a competative shooter with a pistol. He gave some advice/instructions, that I've found helpful.

Instead of getting into a postition or stance for stability, and holding your arm straight and moving your head to look down your arm and to the sight. stand with your knees slightly bent, dont close your week eye, just bring the gun to your dominate eye and fire.  that little bit of advice made all the difference in the world.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »
My Seecamp has never been an issue, but I always shoot high because I tilt the barrel up looking for a sight line...still, a great belly gun.

As regards the R9, if you are accurate at 20 yards you are a better shot than most of us for sure!  One piece of advice that helped me more than anything else...I was keeping a stiff wrist and arm, gripping tightly with my right hand and putting about 60% of the grip with the left hand overhap, but was not putting my right thumb tightly along the pistol, ie: it was not really a tight grip but rather a lot of finger pressure.  With a right thumb tight along the pistol, everything got steady and X-ring shots became much more likely.  It also helped on my full size .45's, allowing my relatively small hands to ride the finger safety and when it was pushe down still activate the grip safety.  We all have a lot to learn and each handgun requires a different education for sure.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
Bell ~ From the photographs you showed here, it looks like the slide is not retuning quick enough nor with enough force. I would suspect if you changed out your outer recoil spring for a fresh one, along with a good wipe down and oiling, you should be even better. The small number of failures you encountered since your first run with your R9 shows you are on the right track. Let us know how she does once you get the springs from Walter. Looking better all the time!

Eric R.

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 04:44:11 PM »
will do, Im carrying it right now, I have to wear a long shirt as its visable with a hedley wallet  holster in my levi's. if you stand a few feet behind me you can see it, if youre looking. be another month before I get the hedley front pocket holster.  Be about the same time i get my seecamp back.

I'll clean it up and replace all the springs again, how many rounds would you consider a good test?

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
Lisa Hedley is a very accomplished holster maker; the apple didn't fall far from the tree in this case.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 06:57:37 PM »
will do, Im carrying it right now, I have to wear a long shirt as its visable with a hedley wallet  holster in my levi's. if you stand a few feet behind me you can see it, if youre looking. be another month before I get the hedley front pocket holster.  Be about the same time i get my seecamp back.

I'll clean it up and replace all the springs again, how many rounds would you consider a good test?

We used to put 3 to 5 mags through any "problem child" R9s that came in after we went over them top to bottom. Basically pulled the entire gun apart, checked the condition and specs on all parts, reassembled it and test fired the thing. Put between 3 - 5 mags through her without issue. . . . Clean it, oil it and put it in your pocket and forget about it. They don't "go bad" by sitting ready to go somewhere. She'll be ready when you need it Bell.   ;-)

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:29 AM »
I  pulled the gun apart, the spring did not compress after 50 rounds, however upon further inspection, I found this part cracked, any idea where I can find one?