Author Topic: 1st time firing my R9-I must be a wimp...  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Phlip

1st time firing my R9-I must be a wimp...
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:35:39 PM »
Y'all all know this but I'm late to the party...Y'all remember y'all's 1st time?

So, the Rohrbaugh R9 I found last year, had to stay in the safe until Christmas...and I didn't cheat. I put some checkered G10 grips(pink was all I could find but hey, it is for CONCEALED carry, right?) on it, added a new recoil spring in it, dug through my 9mm ammo and got out some Remington UMC 115 gr ball and some IWI 115 gr standard pressure hollow points. I fired 3 mags full plus 1 of both ammo. That is a very lively gun!

I'm a big guy and have very large hands and the gun was beating up a couple of fingers and the web of my hand. I have small and tiny guns from Seecamp and Keltec and on the large side I have 45 acp and 10 mm pistols and revolvers ranging from small to large frame 41, 44 and 45's and the R9 seems by far to recoil the most of any of my guns.

The R9 was reliable with 1 small exception that I don't think counts...I fired 1 mag full weak hand only and the last round failed to eject after firing. Not the guns fault and really, not a problem. I was shooting at a Bates Boots box from about 20'. The box didn't survive.  ;D I am very pleased with my little Rohrbaugh.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: 1st time firing my R9-I must be a wimp...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 09:32:49 PM »
Thanks for the report. Please do not fire Remington UMC in it or in anything else. There are a lot of recommended ammo choices here such as Federal 124 gr. HST or Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. Speer Lawman has siimilar ballistics to use as range ammo.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »
Firm grip required.  Hand position is important and a grip extension really helps (if you can score one!).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 10:01:20 PM »
Sounds like a good day at the range Phlip!

Stay safe out there!

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.