Author Topic: FBI and the "New 9mm"  (Read 3196 times)

Offline 72AV8R

FBI and the "New 9mm"
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
Interesting article on the FBI returning to the 9mm. Looks like those of us who prefer the 9 are not as under gunned as some would have us believe.

http://concealednation.org/2014/10/fbi-decides-on-9mm-as-their-1-choice-and-have-tons-of-science-behind-their-decision/

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: FBI and the "New 9mm"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
Interesting...thanks for posting.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Very good read. This is actually quoting a lot of what Douglas posted a few weeks ago. It's what actually got me thinking very seriously about carrying 9 with great confidence and not needing other calibers.

Thanks for the link.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »
Good article.
Makes me feel better about my own choices.
It never occurred to me about the additional wear & tear on the gun with a .40 though. 
It was just uncomfortable to shoot compared to the 9mm for an extended range session.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
That is a very informative article.  Thanks for posting it.

Even reported tests of some recently developed ammunition for the .380 ACP (or as the Germans call it, "9mm Kurz") show improved ballistic levels for that caliber raising its eligibility for consideration as a personal defense round. Unfortunately, SAMMI doesn't provide +P ratings for .380 ACP. 
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »
While I've never been a huge fan of the 380 or the 9mm Kurz, I did manage to pick up a very minty East German Makarov with a bunch of mags, a .22 conversion kit and about 1500 rds of ammo.  Much of the ammo is older Russian...not really branded for marketing as they do now.  While it's all FMJ...and doesn't look much different...hang on 'cause it's about 15-20% hotter than what most of the domestic suppliers offer and gives the shooter a bit of a surprise.  I also found out from the old gentleman (ex E.German military officer) that only FMJ ammo was available to 95+% of the few (including military) who were allowed to have guns at all.  The other 5% were basically the hit-men/women for the alphabet soup groups like the CIA, etc.
Point of all this...if you've got a Mak and want hot ammo....find older Russian, Bulgarian, Polish, E.German ammo.  The guns from the 50s, 60s and early 70s were built to handle it (from what I'm told)...but after that, I do not know.  If you find some old commie branded hollow points...hang on to it...it's rare.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
The 9mm is great from the viewpoint that you can buy it.