Author Topic: Guntest Magazine  (Read 1714 times)

Offline shooter_9mm

Guntest Magazine
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
I was totally enthusiastic when I saw this pistol at the NRA show in Pittsburg, it was brand new at the time. I usually follow the advice of Gun Tests magazine as the consumer reports of firearms. they did not rave about this pistol, mentioned a lot of keyholeing which turned me off. This is a close quarters gun but I still need the rounds to stay straight, even at 20 feet. Has anyone had this problem, also are the new springs installed in this product at this time.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Guntest Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
As I understand it, the new springs are standard fare for all R9s now being shipped.

I haven't had any problem with keyholing or bullet tumbling with my R9.  Chris discusses the subject on his FAQ site:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/tumbling.htm
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:44:59 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »
Keyholing can happen with a heavy bullit weight. I have'nt had any problem with 124gr but did see keyholing with 147gr. which is nonrecommended ammo. (Just had to try it once ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
Same, had problems w. 147 gr, but I don't think 147 gr. 9MM bullets are advised for ANY 9MM pistol
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline shooter_9mm

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
Thank you all, for the info on keyholeing, it most certainly helps. Now how about felt recoil, I remember one of the Rohrbaugh brothers mentioning an older woman using one of their pistols with no problem. There is no point spending a lot of money and not using the firearm and with autos, for whatever reason there is always a breakin period, so one must go through a lot of rounds for safe functioning.  As with vehicles one would think the breakin period for autos would be passe.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:52:45 PM »
I agree with you that no break-in should be necessary to
ensure functionalty. The only thing I can think of is that the
pup is built with such tight tolerances that a break-in is
desirable to smooth all surfaces to each other in the firing
process.  

Offline shooter_9mm

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 08:49:45 PM »
When I return from Vegas I will look into purchasing a couple of these for my wife & I. I purchased a surgical lubricant from Dillon a while back, used it on my grandson's Pinewood Derby entry, it worked wonders on the axles, perhaps it might do the same on the slides. Usually I use a Teflon type but I will try this first.  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 09:08:55 AM »
* * * Now how about felt recoil, I remember one of the Rohrbaugh brothers mentioning an older woman using one of their pistols with no problem. * * *

With the caveat that felt recoil is highly subjective, I would describe the recoil of my R9 as "stout" but entirely manageable as long as I maintain a firm grip.  At the range, I occasionally fire a few rounds off-hand just to maintain familiarity but otherwise employ a two-handed isosceles stance.  I will admit, though, that after running five or six magazines through the R9, even with a time out to let the pistol cool down a bit, I'm ready to move on to a "less spirited" handgun.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 12:42:01 PM »
Guntest article?

Are you talking about the old article-or is this a new one?

I do not get the magazine so was wondering if there was something 'new"..

Recoil is all relative-I normally shoot no more than 3-5 mags worth at a session,same as I do with the Seecamp..

I do not really "enjoy" shooting either more than that-nor do I feel the need to-but I am not shy about doing so when the time arrives!!

My Seecamp .32 does' the keyhole thing occasionally(.380 has not),but have not noticed this with the pup(115s)..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline shooter_9mm

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
Again Richard & Brenden, thank you both. As I stated earlier, this is a close quarters firearm but one still must practice. I prefer a cowboy type 22 such as the Rugers or Heritage Arms for plinking and having fun, the Rohrbaugh would be only a carry piece. It's size & weight are ideal, as we all know if it's too heavy we will not carry it for long as was the case with my SP 101.