Author Topic: Well my new carry R9S Stealth runs PERFECT, BUT....  (Read 3919 times)

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
Well my new carry R9S Stealth runs PERFECT, BUT....
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »
I grabbed a late production R9S Stealth off of Gunbroker. (60XX)

On the outside it looks 98%, on the the inside it’s a different story.

Quite a bit of the anodizing is gone off of the rails and there is some peening in the frame.

Based on the wear on my other Rohrbaugh, I’d venture a guess of 3,000+ rounds.

Well, I throughly detail cleaned it and it was FILTHY! In addition all four grip screws were not even finger tight.

I greased it with Mobil 1 synthetic red bearing grease and oiled the recoil spring guide with Mobil 1 0W-40 oil.

I suspected that evidently it runs great or it wouldn’t be so well used, fortunately I was correct.

I’d picked up a couple of boxes of the new Federal 9mm 150 gr HST Micro, it’s designed specifically for short barreled 9mm’s and is designed to expand even though it’s below 900 fps.

Well I ran a box of 20 rounds through it with ZERO issues.

I wish it wasn’t quite so used, but it RUNS!

I do need to order a new recoil spring assy. (The rod is half screwed out of the base)

And I have to deal with the firing pin stop, it won’t come out. I suspect the metal rail the hammer rides against in the slide has peened over the base of the stop. (This happened on my first R9S)

Overall I’m very pleased and will probably have the frame refinished in Type III Hard anodizing, NP3, or Industrial Hard Chrome.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:18:32 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Well my new carry R9S Stealth runs PERFECT, BUT....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
My father used to have a saying. " No matter how many times you wash a donkeys head, you will always still have a donkeys head". My advice to you, because I am OCD about my guns, is sell it & buy a perfect/near perfect one. You'll be happier. JMO
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
Looking at the wear on this R9 Pursuit. . . . . it is a runner without any issues I can see here. Use the tar out of it and don't worry about her. She'll be just fine. Nice late model "runner".  Looking like everything has just "settled in", that's all. Oh, and Congrats!

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:28:26 PM »
THANKS, with you “blessing” the wear, that lowers my worry level. And even with the amount of shooting this R9 has been through, it still looks new.

It goes to PROVE how well designed these are, now off to Headley Holsters for a Front Pocket holster, and off to VZ Grips for a set of checkered red G10 grips.

I’m hoping to convince my wife to give up her beloved HK P7 for a R9S. (The HK is too heavy)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:30:55 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
THANKS, with you “blessing” the wear, that lowers my worry level. And even with the amount of shooting this R9 has been through, it still looks new.

It goes to PROVE how well designed these are, now off to Headley Holsters for a Front Pocket holster, and off to VZ Grips for a set of checkered red G10 grips.

I’m hoping to convince my wife to give up her beloved HK P7 for a R9S. (The HK is too heavy)

Good choice, I run both on my CCW permit

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »

Niiiice!
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
California so sucks on gun laws. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 06:11:34 PM »
California so sucks on gun laws.

Yes, we got it good for now tatoo. 

With all the people fleeing Cali, we are getting too close to tilting that way ourselves.  But for now, I enjoy the overall lack of repression in our gun laws.  The idea that your have to have your carry weapon listed on your CHL makes me shake my head.

But if I had to have only two, those posted above would not be too far from ideal.