Author Topic: Ammo options  (Read 1990 times)

Offline jcannady

Ammo options
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
So I've owned my first R9S for all of 3 hours now and I'm looking for ammunition.  I called Rohrbaugh and got the recommended ammunition, but I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with Sellier and Bellot 115 gr and Speer Lawman.  Still looking for the good stuff but wanted to see if these should work.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Ammo options
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:31:10 PM »
Jim.  Welcome to the Forum.  Congratulations on getting the R9s.  Have not tried either of what you mentioned, but really like the Winchester 115gr. Silvertips.  Again, welcome.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
Anything BUT +P or +P+ should work. Grain weights can be finnicky depending on bullet type. (and obviously no unjacketed stuff or wadcutters)

S&B stuff should work as I have fired some of it in mine at the range. And remember, some ammo is "dirty". I have not tried Speer Lawman in either of mine.

There are a crapload of threads here that discuss a miriad of ammo options. May I suggest going thru using "ammo" as a search function.

Enjoy the "pup" and feed it good food! Its a thoroughbred... 8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 06:50:55 PM by P7Enigma »
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
Jim,

Congratulations on your new R9s and welcome to the forum.

I've fired a box of Speer LE, law enforcement, Gold Dot 115 gr. They performed flawlessly.  I don't know how close they are to the "Lawman".

I've also had no problems with good, old WWB from Walmart.  I'd say if you've got some of the S&B or Lawman rounds on hand to give them a try.  And, let us all know how they performed for you.  My guess is that you won't have any problems.

Regards, Quiet1
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline FloridaCCW

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
If you are looking for self defense rounds, I recommend 115g Gold Dots.  They can be easily found on the internet (Cabela's). Just be sure that you do not buy +p ammo!  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:17:01 PM by FloridaCCW »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
Jim:

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new masterpiece.

I've used only Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Silver Tips and Winchester "White Box" FMJ (the latter for range work) in my R9. As for the S&B, while I've used it in .380, and .45 ACP without complaint, I've never tried it in 9mm.

Check out the ammo test section of the FAQ site of the Forum for some good information:

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/data/R9-ammo-data.htm

[size=10]Edit: Typo.[/size]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:53:20 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
Jim,
   Welcome and congrats on the new pup. Try any 9mm ammo you like as long as it is standard pressure, and find what works best in your gun.
  I have fired at least seven different brands in my pup and all worked fine.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:10 AM »
Jim, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new pup. Try the speer lawman, it should be ok.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline oakmax1

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
I run wwb 115 grand 124 speer gdhp in mine.