Author Topic: .357 Sig. question  (Read 10106 times)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
.357 Sig. question
« on: October 23, 2004, 05:42:27 PM »
Does anyone here have any experience with the .357 Sig, particularly with the Glock 32?

I presently carry a Glock 26 and am considering an upgrade in the near future.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: .357 Sig. question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 11:20:31 PM »
Superb accuracy with 125 gr. Speer GDHP at 1350 fps or more.  The most superb combination of power and accuracy available in such a small package that I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 11:21:53 PM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 12:18:48 AM »
Dang it Jodey - that equates to an MV of around 500 ft lbs .. that is IMPRESSIVE!  What length tube might we be talking about with these figures.  Something around 4" - or even less?

This is one cal and platform (what do you consider ideal) I have never explored but heck - that is some mighty fine energy there!  WOW!  Even a stoked ...357 mag with a 158 is only getting up to about 680 ft lbs .. and that'll mean bags of recoil - that is assuming a ball park vel' of 1400 fps.

Thoughts?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 10:04:05 AM »
In my Keltec P-11 converted to .357 sig I get 1350 average with the GDHP 125.  There is a bit more velocity in the smallest Glock .357 the G33.  In a 4.5 inch (don't recall the gun, it may have been a Smith) it was about 1385 if I recall but not being my gun I did't keep the chrono tape.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 10:10:44 AM »
Chris the recoil is not bad at all.  The .357 sig round seems to have  been made for very short barrels and does not increase speed as much as I would have thought in longer barrels or decrease as much in short ones as I would have guessed.  There seems to be more of a push than a snap in the powder used and the recoil from .357 sig in my Keltec does not seem to be as much as the recoil in my Rohrbaugh.  The grip is much wider and longer in the Keltec, spreading the recoil impression over more surface area.  The Keltec P11 is much larger than the Rohrbaugh.  The Rohrbaugh is the same size as the Keltec .380.  

I LOVE my Keltecs in each caliber and size; in .380, 9mm, .40 and .357!  However one of the .357 conversions did split the frame of one of my pistols.  Keltec of course replaced it, no charge, no comment from them.  Keltecs are not thousand dollar guns but the support is fabulous there.  I shoot my Keltecs a lot and have sent some of them back for repairs.  I've never sent one back twice however and some have had many hundreds of full power rounds through them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 10:14:03 AM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 11:06:03 AM »
I did some tests at the old AmmoLab a couple of years ago and we shot numerous calibers and numerous loads from several different guns, into calibrated geletin during a long day of testing all manner of premium loads and bullets, etc.

We tested from .32 (no expansion from any round), .380 (HPs expanded little if any), dozens of the best 9s, 40s, 45s etc. to 9x23 and virtually every other pistol round in between.  AmmoLab did testing for military, police, federal agencies and private security consultants at the HIGHEST levels of professionalism.

I learned that there is little difference and no meaningful difference, in geletin, between any premium rounds from 9mm up to 9x23... EXCEPT the 357 SIG from the Baby Glock which performed in a way that was a multiple of power above anything else we shot all day!  There are two rounds I have learned that perform far, far, far, more effectively than expected; they are the standard power 357 SIG and the original power 10 mm (difficult to obtain now).  I also learned that the polygonal bore of the Glock gives speeds that are far higher than rifled barrels of the same length.

I was stunned by the performance of the 357 Sig from the Baby Glock at AmmoLab testing.  Since, I've found that this unique caliber is designed for service size, that being short, barrel length is FAR more than people speak of.  My friend, who worked at Smith at the time, got our Delaware State Police to use the 357 SIG and they still do!  The performance has been exemplary!  

Rohrbaugh 357 SIG anyone!!!!!  I will take one for sure Eric!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 11:12:51 AM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »
Thx for all that info and comment Jody .... I really had not realized quite what a versatile round this was. I must look into it further - and may also if time allows chat about it a bit when I see you.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 12:01:40 PM »
The .32 NAA , Corbon 60gr@ 1200fps is one I am looking at.
             [.380 necked to a .32 cal.]
---------------
But not in a NAA 380 frame, I under stand the recoil is rather unpleasent.  It is rumored that KT may have an offering soon,   Shot Show maybe,   I hope so.!!.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry for jumping in here, but it just reminded me of this..
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 12:05:19 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 12:46:05 PM »
Well, Kel-Tec has all the parts already!  Another upgrade.  Perhaps another limp-wristing failure however - as the .40 and 357 were!  Where in the dickens do you get ammo and how much and do they make it with GDHP.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 12:47:56 PM »
Chris,

I'll try to make certain I bring several of my Keltecs in variuous calibers to the PA meet where I expect to see you.  Even though it is a very long drive for me as well - I plan to arrive well before anyone else.  Please send me your cell phone number if you will and I'll return same for both of mine.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 12:48:22 PM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 02:22:10 PM »
You have PM Jody.  Be glad to see your KelTecs.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 03:40:35 PM »
Very cool... I'll see you there and you have return PM.  

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
Mr. Jody Hudson,

Thanks for the comments.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 10:12:50 PM »
You are welcome Bill.  Enjoy your new Powerhouse Glock! ;D

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 11:00:20 PM »
Haven't finalized the decision yet.  Will probably get my wife a model 19 soon - she shot that well yesterday.

I am still deciding between the models 19, 23, and 32.  I really am not convinced that the .40 has any significant advantage over the 9mm, so I will probably rule out the 23.  My concerns with the .357 Sig. are primarily cost of practice ammo and pressure - it seems like most of the kabooms I hear about are .40's and the rest are .357 Sig.  I had also read that if a case shot in an over-throated .40 was reloaded, the chances of a kaboom are greater than with many other calibers, and I do shoot a lot of remanufactured ammo.

The success of the .40 and .357 Sig. among police tends to mitigate these concerns, but they get to practice with the same ammo they carry.