Author Topic: Wisconsin Concealed Carry  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Wisconsin Concealed Carry
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:19:01 PM »
Go Wisconsin..
Call your reps!!!

Concealed Carryhttp://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jan06/386668.asp
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Wisconsin Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:37:05 PM »
Brenden:

As I understand it, Doyle vetoed a similar bill two years ago and the legislature fell one vote short of overriding the veto.  Let us hope that this year will be different.  

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:37:30 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:42:29 PM »
Agreed!!!

If the Dems that voted for it stand fast,they can overide the veto!!
Last time,I believe it was the co-sponsor,was the 1 that voted NOT to overide!! :(

Hope it is different this time for our Brethern in the "Cheese" state.. ;)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:50:54 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys - I'm afraid we're in the same situation as last time. The state Senate will override Gov. Doyle's veto easily, and we need exactly 66 votes in the Assembly to succeed there, which is exactly what the vote was when it was passed to get it to Doyle's desk - 60 Republicans and 6 Dems voted for it.

Every Republican has vowed to override, and today I called all six Dems. Four said they'll vote to override, and two won't commit. Doyle is as sleazy as they come, just an abomination (- one of his top aides was just indicted in a bribe investigation and the prosecutor is inches away from getting to Doyle) and he is using every trick in the book to get Van Akkeren and Steinbrink to switch their votes.

As Brenden said, last time Doyle flipped a Dem co-sponsor - the same Rep that actually wrote editorials in favor of CCW and then turned around and upheld Doyle's last CCW veto. One vote short then, and thanks to more arm-twisting and sleazy politics, we may be one vote short this time. :'(

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. The silver lining is that our State Supreme Court all but begged for a CCW in their last concealed carry case and they have a few more cases in front of them that may further enhance our 2nd rights. Our state constitution guarantees the RKBA and we may end up with Vermont style laws yet as the WI SC seems intent on honoring it, thankfully. Also, Doyle is up for re-election and he's quite unpopular so his chances are slim. With a Republican gov and both houses we could get a bill through that may just be the best in the nation.

And how's this for irony - we can open carry here but can't carry concealed - completely backward!!!

Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 07:27:05 AM »
We are hoping for you.  It sounds like it will be coming, one way or another.

Bill  

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:00:39 PM »
Update - we lost today, once again we had democrats - Steinfink and Van Asseren, that had previously voted for the bill, campaigned on a promise to vote for it, and promised the bill's author they would vote for it - flip-flop and vote to uphold Doyle's veto, we lost by those two votes.

I'm having a very hard time balancing my Christian faith and upbringing with these political realities - I really have a profound dislike for these turncoats!!!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:01:54 PM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 08:23:07 PM »
Firebreather:

I know it's easy for me to say (living here in Tennessee), but keep the faith and stay the course.  From a distance, it would appear that Wisconsin voters may well send a few legislators "out to pasture" in the next election.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:25:57 PM »
I am so sorry to hear.. :(

I was just looking for an update on how the vote went and found this..

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4435999

All I can say is vote the Bastages out, and get what close to 40 states have found to be the proper thing for their citizens!!

It will happen,but not till "they" understand that the results of their votes DO have consequences!! ;) :o ;D

Shall issue surrounds WI,it will come... :)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
It's all the talk on the net tonight and I am disgusted.

The turncoats have let WI down and as for Doyle, well - not printable what I think!

I emailed some of the critical voters myself - hoping to get them to see sense but two of those decided to accept control instead of common sense. >:(

Get rid of Doyle and just maybe third time lucky - hell it's about time.  Is 37 shall issue states now?  is that not something of a testament for heaven's sake.

<shakes head, muttering>
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:45:43 PM »
I don't want to wish bad things on anybody, even liberals who abrogate our constitutionally guaranteed rights.
BUT (here it comes) don't you just hope some of those people who voted down WI concealed carry end up in a situation where they really, really need a handgun to defend themselves?  Better yet, a small weak family member gets mugged or robbed!!  
Of course, your governor doesn't need a gun.  He has an armed security detail 24/7.... >:(

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 12:47:29 PM »
Steve - I have long been of the opinion that all anti's should exprerience something ''life altering'' to open their eyes.

I fear tho even then in many cases ''the gun'' would be the sole recipient of blaim - nothing to do with criminals.

I try to counter my feeling of despair sometimes.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 12:52:09 PM »
The tragic events of 9-11 should remind all lawmakers that we have additional reasons to protect ourselves.

It seems to me that a CPL makes license holders more gentle than ever.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
The two times in my life in which I have been "set upon and defeated by superior forces" (i.e., "beaten and robbed") were in two African countries in which I was required to go unarmed.  [I believe it was John Connor who aptly noted in one of his American Handgunner columns that there are three types of countries in Africa – (1) those in which you’re are apt to be shot by military or police if you’re found to be carrying a weapon; (2) those in which you’re apt to be shot by rebels or bandits if you’re found not to be carrying a weapon; and (3) those countries in which both (1) and (2) apply.]

As a result, these days, I carry a concealed weapon wherever and whenever it is legal for me to do so.  

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil . . . ."   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »
Have you ever noticed the people that are against concealed carry (anti-gun) are the exact same people who do not want to punish the criminals?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Have you ever noticed the people that are against concealed carry (anti-gun) are the exact same people who do not want to punish the criminals?

And my nomination for "Poster Boy" of that idiocy goes to Marion Barry, former Mayor and current Councilman of Washington, D. C.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/03/AR2006010300279.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:51:18 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"