Author Topic: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground...  (Read 21309 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground..
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 12:25:27 PM »
Brenden,

I found this upbeat post about the Castle Doctrine bill in Michigan.  It was on Glocktalk in the States section.

Leslie Mortimer (who sponsored one of the bills) and Rick Baxter were at our meeting last night in Jackson and they expect it to pass through the Senate sign, and that the Governor will quietly sign it.

http://www.firearmsalliance.org/

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 03:13:42 PM »
MICHIGAN
The House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed important self-defense legislation on Tuesday, voting in favor of the four-bill "Castle Doctrine" package that had broad bi-partisan support.  HB 5142, by Representative Tom Casperson (R-108), passed on a vote of 91-15.  HB 5143, by Representative Rick Jones (R-71), HB 5548, by Representative Tim Moore (R-97), and HB 5153, by Representative Leslie Mortimer (R-65), all gained House approval on a vote of 90-15.  This legislative package allows law-abiding citizens to defend themselves in places where they have a right to be without fear of criminal prosecution or civil liability.  The four bills have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Please call your State Senator at (517) 373-2400 and ask him or her to support the "Castle Doctrine" package.
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »
I sent an email to my state senator.  Hopefully, that will also have the desired effect.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 06:58:08 PM »
Bill,
All is good...
Sometimes though they "measure" snail mail response and also phone response!! If the Anti's are heard from more,"who knows"..

I always try to call and E-mail at minimum..On the very important bills-I do ALL 3.. ;D

I am doing all 3 this time-again.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2006, 12:06:27 AM »
 ;D

OKLAHOMA GOVERNOR SIGNS
NRA-BACKED "CASTLE DOCTRINE" BILL INTO LAW

Today, Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry (D) signed HB 2615, the NRA-backed "Castle Doctrine" self-defense bill, into law.

"I want to thank Governor Brad Henry for signing this victims' rights bill into law," said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.  "When you're confronted by a criminal, you don't have the luxury of time.  This bill states that if victims choose to stand their ground and fight, their decision will not be second-guessed by the State of Oklahoma.  The ability to protect yourself, your children, or your spouse from harm is important, whether you're in your home or outside."

HB 2615 simply states that if a criminal breaks into your home, your occupied vehicle or your place of business, you may presume he is there to do bodily harm and you may use any force necessary against him.  It also removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a legal right to be.  

Further, HB 2615 provides protection from criminal prosecution and civil litigation for those who defend themselves from criminal attack.  The "Castle Doctrine" bill met with overwhelming, bipartisan support, passing 96-2 in the state House and 83-4 in the Senate.  Oklahoma joins eight other states that have signed similar legislation into law this legislative cycle.

"On behalf of all NRA members in Oklahoma, I want to thank Governor Brad Henry for signing this important bill into law.  I'd also like to thank the bill's chief sponsors, Representative Kevin Calvey (R-94) and Senator Harry Coates (R-28), for their leadership in passing this vital measure," concluded Cox. "The 'Castle Doctrine' bill is about putting the law back on the side of the victim, the way it's supposed to be."

;D
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2006, 08:44:31 PM »
;D

OKLAHOMA GOVERNOR SIGNS
NRA-BACKED "CASTLE DOCTRINE" BILL INTO LAW

Today, Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry (D) signed HB 2615, the NRA-backed "Castle Doctrine" self-defense bill, into law.

;D

As a transplanted "Okie," I can testify that we always assumed that to be the law anyway.  Still and all, it's good to see the "Castle Doctrine" finally codified into Oklahoma law.   :D

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
I am out of state and have heard no news about Michigan's "Castle Doctrine". Has there been any movement?
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2006, 10:50:44 PM »
Capt,

It was passed in the House, and is in the Senate now.

Bill

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2006, 12:40:55 AM »
An update on MI from the NRA...

http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2231

Calls will help with the full Senate...

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2006, 06:48:51 AM »
Thank you for the update.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2006, 11:22:28 PM »
UPDATE ON MICHIGAN....

June 6, 2006 - 3:19PM  
LANSING (AP) - The Michigan Senate has approved legislation aimed at fortifying and clarifying self-defense rights.

The measures would allow people to use deadly force -- with no duty to retreat -- if they reasonably think they face imminent death, great bodily harm or sexual assault.

The legislation also would protect people from civil lawsuits if they have used force in self-defense.

The six-bill package is backed by the National Rifle Association but opposed by anti-gun groups.

Critics say the legislation is dangerous and not needed because prosecutors don't charge a person who has justifiably used deadly force to protect themselves.

Supporters say some people have been sued by people who tried to break into their homes.

Back to the House because of Amendments!!

Politics - Politics... ;)

Brenden

« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 11:24:55 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2006, 07:44:38 AM »
Great news, Brenden.  Thank you for the update.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2006, 07:54:16 AM »
Just returned to Michigan. Thanks for the update.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2006, 11:58:15 PM »
Heard this today - "SC Gov. approves and signs SC4301 Castle Doctrine "

Other stuff -

Arizona Governor Signs Right-To-Carry Enhancement
Daily Courier
Governor Napolitano signed House Bill 2076 which says the state may not prohibit firearms in public buildings unless those buildings provide secure but readily accessible storage for firearms carried by people using the building.
http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=36&SubSectionID=73&ArticleID=40015&TM=25733.64

Florida Governor Jeb Bush Sets Record by Signing Six-Pack of Freedom

We are very pleased to tell you that yesterday, Governor Jeb Bush (R) signed into law, SIX pro-gun and pro-hunting bills supported by NRA and Unified Sportsmen of Florida.  That is a record number of major pro-gun & and pro-hunting bills passed in a single Florida legislative session under any Senate President or Speaker of the House and signed in one ceremony by any Governor in Florida.  
Read More: http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2262
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.