Author Topic: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground...  (Read 21330 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground..
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
Bit of an update..

MICHIGAN

HB 5192, by Representative Scott Hummel (R-93), which would lower the hunting age from 14 and 12, to 12 and 10, for big game and small game respectively, has passed the Senate and is now in the House awaiting concurrence.  The companion bill, SB 1105 by Senator Michelle McManus (R-35), passed the House Natural Resources Committee yesterday and now moves to the House.  The House "Castle Doctrine" package comprised of four bills - HB 5142 by Representative Tom Casperson (R-108), HB 5143 by Representative Rick Jones (R-71), HB 5153 by Representative Leslie Mortimer (R-65), and HB 5548 by Representative Tim Moore (R-97) - is awaiting concurrence by the House. The two Senate "Castle Doctrine" bills, SB 1046 by Senator Alan Cropsey (R-33), and SB 1185, by Senator Ron Jelinek (R-21), are on second reading in the House. All the bills listed above are expected to be up for a vote in the House this coming week. Please call you State Representative and ask him or her to support HB 5192, SB 1105, and the House and Senate "Castle Doctrine" packages. The general phone number for the House of Representatives is (517) 373-0135.
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2006, 12:26:30 AM »
1st thing that comes to mind...  "COOL..!"  Although I've never concerned myself with this matter prior to...  

Eric   ;D
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 03:20:41 AM »
MICHIGAN

The House "Castle Doctrine" package comprised of four bills, HB 5142 by Representative Tom Casperson (R-108), HB 5143 by Representative Rick Jones (R-71), HB 5153 by Representative Leslie Mortimer (R-65),  and HB 5548, by Representative Tim Moore (R-97), is awaiting concurrence by the House. The two Senate "Castle Doctrine" bills, SB 1046, by Senator Alan Cropsey (R-33), and SB 1185, by Senator Ron Jelinek (R-21), are on second reading in the House.  All the bills listed above are expected to be up for a vote in the House this coming week.  Please call your State Representative and ask him or her to support the House and Senate "Castle Doctrine" packages.   The general phone number for the House of Representatives is (517) 373-0135.
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:42 PM »
Going to the Democratic Gov...
Expected to sign..It is an election year!!
;)

Legislature sends self-defense bills to Granholm
6/27/2006, 7:25 p.m. ET
The Associated Press    

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The state House signed off on legislation Tuesday aimed at fortifying and clarifying self-defense rights in Michigan.

The bills would allow people to use deadly force, with no duty to retreat, if they reasonably think they face imminent death, great bodily harm or sexual assault. They could use deadly force on their property or anywhere they have a legal right to be.

The legislation also would protect people from civil lawsuits if they have used force in self-defense.

The package, mostly approved on a 90-17 vote, now heads to Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who is expected to sign it.

Critics have said the legislation is dangerous and not needed because prosecutors already don't charge a person who has justifiably used deadly force to protect themselves.

But a sponsor of one bill, Republican Rep. Leslie Mortimer of Horton, said the bills "put to rest any ambiguity regarding our protection against intruders."

One bill would require judges to award attorney fees to those who are sued when it's determined they had reasonably used force to act in self-defense.

Another bill would create a "rebuttable presumption" — a legal advantage that assumes, unless there's strong proof to the contrary, that people honestly and reasonably believe they face death, rape or great bodily harm when someone breaks into their home.

The presumption, however, would not apply in certain domestic violence situations, disputes involving the police, and if the person using force is breaking the law.

Supporters say the legislation is needed partly because current law requires people to first retreat, which supporters say puts them at a disadvantage.

Critics worry the legislation could spark a shoot-first, ask-questions-later mentality that ends with innocent people getting shot.

Democrats who voted against the bills were Marsha Cheeks of Detroit, Brenda Clack of Flint, Paul Condino of Southfield, George Cushingberry of Detroit, Morris Hood III of Detroit, Tupac Hunter of Detroit, Chris Kolb of Ann Arbor, Gabe Leland of Detroit, Alexander Lipsey of Kalamazoo, Bill McConico of Detroit, Andy Meisner of Ferndale, Michael Murphy of Lansing, Alma Wheeler Smith of Ypsilanti, Virgil Smith of Detroit, Steve Tobocman of Detroit, Aldo Vagnozzi of Farmington Hills and Mary Waters of Detroit.

___

The self-defense bills are House Bills 5142-43, 5153 and 5548, and Senate Bills 1046 and 1185.

___

On the Net:

Michigan Legislature: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2006, 10:02:07 PM »
That's wonderful news, Brenden.

Thanks for posting it.  We have been on a little vacation and did not know the status.

Good for Michigan.

Bill

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2006, 08:17:02 AM »
Brenden, thank you for keeping us apprised.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2006, 06:30:38 PM »
Monumental "Castle Doctrine" Package Heading to Governor's Desk!

On Thursday, June 29, the "Castle Doctrine" package........ passed overwhelmingly by the State Legislature and are en route to the desk of Governor Jennifer Granholm (D).

It's a great time for Michigan!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »
Now if we could just put a sock on Senator Carl Levin.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2006, 09:02:54 PM »
Now if we could just put a sock on Senator Carl Levin.

It's hard to take Senator Levin seriously -- until you remember that he is the ranking minority member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.  That's just a thought to bear in mind for those of us who will be voting for candidates seeking election to the United States Senate next November.  

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:04:54 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2006, 12:04:50 PM »
Chris, Dave, Bill, and other Pennsylvania members of the Forum:

Heads up!  http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=2302
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2006, 12:28:21 PM »
Texas is also working on the Castle Doctrine. It should be the standard deal thru out our land. The hell with the bad guys.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Georgia on my mind...
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
Since I started this thread, I had no idea it would generate such a response. Now that I think of it, though, it's no surprise.

It is my GREAT PLEASURE to note to you all (or ya'll, in this case) that
Georgia has a new law that took effect on July 1st, that finally allows us to "Stand our ground!"

I can only say that there is hope for America. I wasn't so sure a while back. I'm still staying on my toes.

Congratulations to Georgians everywhere;^) We should all be like us...

Hayword N. Edgewise (um, Gunwise;^)

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2006, 10:04:54 PM »
Richard - thx for the link - I have been watching this and actually get daily NRA-ILA email updates.

Very handy when trying to stay in touch with PA legislative moves.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2006, 12:35:05 AM »
Get Calling MICHIGAN people..

She doesn't have the bill yet but her staff is "polling" callers.
Please call and voice your support for this set of bills.

Governor Jennifer M. Granholm
P.O. Box 30013

Lansing
Michigan
PHONE: (517) 373-3400
PHONE: (517) 335-7858 - Constituent Services
FAX: (517) 335-6863

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2006, 11:19:38 PM »
She has it on her "Desk" as of the 6th of July..

Please make the calls as you feel.. :)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe