Author Topic: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground...  (Read 21312 times)

Offline CaptBW

• Master
Re: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground..
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2006, 07:54:36 AM »
Made the call. Now to wait.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »
I made the call, too.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2006, 12:08:04 PM »
Michigan's Governor signs Castle Doctrine Package into Law!

Positioning herself for maximum press exposure may have delayed her signature, but the Governor did finally sign the 'Castle Doctrine' into law today. 8) ;D

Will post more details later!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2006, 08:58:44 PM »
NRA-Backed Castle Doctrine Bills Become Law in Michigan

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fairfax, VA-Today Governor Jennifer Granholm signed into law a package of six self-defense bills backed by the National Rifle Association (NRA), bringing  “Castle Doctrine” protections to law-abiding Michigan citizens.

“I want to thank the Michigan Legislature and Governor Jennifer Granholm for working together in making this victims’ rights bill into law,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA’s chief lobbyist. “When you’re confronted by a criminal, you don’t have the luxury of time. This Castle Doctrine package states that if victims choose to stand their ground and fight, their decision will not be second-guessed by the State of Michigan.   The ability to protect yourself, your children, or your spouse from harm is important, whether you're in your home or outside.”

The six-bill Castle Doctrine Package passed with bi-partisan, supermajority support in both houses of the Michigan legislature:

Ø    SB 1046, sponsored by Sen. Alan Cropsey, outlines rebuttal presumptions for justified use of self-defense.  The bill makes it clear that there is no “duty to retreat” if a person is in a place where they have a legal right to be.

Ø    SB 1185, sponsored by Sen. Ron Jelinek, allows for the award of court and attorney fees in civil cases where it was determined a person acted in accordance with the Self Defense Act and where civil immunities apply.

Ø    HB 5548, sponsored by Rep. Tim Moore, gives civil immunities to persons acting in accordance with the Self Defense Act, preventing criminals and their families from suing law-abiding citizens.

Ø    HB 5153, sponsored by Rep. Leslie Mortimer, puts the burden of proof on the prosecutor to show that a person acted unlawfully in the application of force, rather than the person using the force having to prove they acted lawfully.

Ø    HB 5142, sponsored by Rep. Tom Casperson, expands the definition of “dwelling” to include a person’s garage, barn, backyard, etc.

Ø    HB 5153, sponsored by Rep. Rick Jones, creates the Self Defense Act and specifies that it is not a crime to use force or deadly force to defend oneself if that person is not breaking any laws when defensive force was used.  The person must be facing imminent threat of death or great bodily harm.  

“On behalf of all NRA members in Michigan, I want to thank each of the bills’ chief sponsors for their leadership in seeing these measures become law,” concluded Cox. “The Castle Doctrine is about putting the law back on the side of the victim, the way it’s supposed to be.”
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2006, 06:34:14 AM »
YES!

I returned to Michigan yesterday to find this excellent news posted by the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners.

I thank everyone involved in this successful outcome.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2006, 01:29:06 PM »
Wonderful news for Michigan.  Thanks to all who made it possible.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2006, 06:42:34 PM »
I have been delighted to hear about this - and wait patiently for PA to go the same route.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2006, 08:49:50 PM »
Hey!
I reported the same news for Georgia, and no one congratulated me! (Or Georgia, to be more exact!)

Can a Brother get a moment?

Calvin Cooledge
(BTW-I travelled for the first time with the R9S, and it was a breeze. More on that later.)

Wonderful news for Michigan.  Thanks to all who made it possible.

Bill
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2006, 09:25:24 PM »
Calvin,

Congratulations to the Great State of Georgia.  I'm delighted that the law makers recognize our need for self-protection.

Bill

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
Hey!
I reported the same news for Georgia, and no one congratulated me! (Or Georgia, to be more exact!)

Can a Brother get a moment?

Calvin Cooledge
(BTW-I travelled for the first time with the R9S, and it was a breeze. More on that later.)

Calvin,
Please forgive as I believe we were all looking out for "ours"!!

Thank you my Georgia brother!! ;D

We are all in this together..As it has been said by the wise ones,if we do not stand together,we shall most assuredly hang together... ;)

This appears to be a "sweeping" mandate in the FREE STATES.. 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline twostar

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2006, 10:36:46 PM »
I am SO glad to be out of the People's Republic of Massachusetts (where I had a CCW and a Machine gun permit) and would get into very serious caca if I defended myself or my family.  Here in Florida my CCW is now accepted in 27 states with more to come. It's a great thing BUT, if you are fortunate enough to live in similar circumstances, make very sure you check the local laws before you cross that state line with a weapon.  It might be legal, but you had best know exactly how that state defines what you can and can't do if you like your freedom.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.