Author Topic: Someone tell an airplane story  (Read 10431 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Someone tell an airplane story
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2006, 09:40:09 AM »
My advice in Central
America is: 2 pilots; 2 engines; and daylight VFR conditions.

Good advice!

In 1979, I was in Haiti, which was then in the clutches of Jean-Claude ("Baby-Doc") Duvalier and the group of thugs established by his father and known as the Volunteers for National Security (better known as the Tonton Macoutes or "bogeymen").  I needed to get from Port-au-Prince to Jacmel on the southern coast.  The distance between the two cities is only about 35 miles by air and 65 by road – but the road was in such poor condition that the drive could take more than 6 hours even on a good day. A small airline called Haiti Air Inter was offering service between Port-au-Prince and Jacmel using a Britten-Norman BN-2 aircraft – a twin-engine turboprop, capable of carrying about eight passengers at a time – one similar to this:

When I boarded the aircraft I found myself sitting by a man carrying a loosely-woven straw basket which appeared to contain a live chicken.  On second glance, I noticed that it was not just any chicken but actually a very angry fighting cock apparently offended by his present circumstances.  

During takeoff, I shifted my attention from the fighting cock and turned to look out my starboard-side window expecting to enjoy a view of the Haitian coast and the mountains in the distance.  What I noticed instead, however, was the tire on the fixed landing gear just below my window.  More particularly, I noticed the six-inch bald spot on the tire -- no tread, no rubber, only some frayed cords of the carcass body.

Although we landed at Jacmel without blowing the tire, I rented a VW Beetle for the return trip to Port-au-Prince.  It came as no surprise when I later read that a BN-2 owned by Haiti Air Inter had crashed in January 1980.      

Reliable aircraft.  Lousy maintenance.  Recipe for disaster.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:07:14 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Someone tell an airplane story
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
[size=13] "Ladies and gentlemen, Captain Crash will now slide what is left of the aircraft up against the jetway.  Please try to pick yourself carefully through the rubble and into the terminal building."  [/size]
2star - that was worthy of some good chuckles ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.