Author Topic: Ammo Shortage...  (Read 13956 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: Ammo Shortage...
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
Ditto where I live. I have not run out of places to look but I have not faced this issue to date. I have multiple boxes of ammo in multiple calibers. However, an attempt to get 9MM today (high test as recommended for R9) proved futile.

I thought this was other people's problem until today.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline M380

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
President bomma-mama said last year, that he wanted to make ammunition hard to get as a way of controlling gun related violence. It looks like he is well on his way ::)

BTW I didn't vote for him :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:41:33 AM by mikabika »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
I just got back from a 60 mile excursion and found shortage of 9MM and .380. I did manage to find 50 rounds of Hornady TAP HP 147 gr.

As to political comment, I am not a conspiracy theorist but it is tempting to believe that shortage of ammo is induced by government. They have their hands in everything else, right?

People are also hording ammo; that much is clear. I never thought I would see they day when I would pay $1.00 per round of 9MM.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
Me either, but I am happy to pay it for premium ammo because it
is so difficult to find in the normal outlets.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:06 AM »
Cabela's has 9mm 115gr. Winchester Silvertips for $37.99 but on back order.  They say it will take 3-4 weeks to ship.  I put in an order so we'll see.   :(   :(
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »
Sportman's Guide has Winchester 9mm Silvertips on backorder, availability June 29th, 09 for $36.47, club price $34.65.  It's always good to put in for the backorder as the date finally arrives.  However, they do, sometimes, push the backorder on out.  Cabela's does that too!

I had some Hornady 44 Mags 300 gr. on order since Dec 24th, 08, from Sportsman's Guide and got them 2 weeks ago.  They do arrive.   :)   :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »
I can affirm the comment about Cabela's; they are very good and
courteous--no charge until shipment.

Offline PakWaan

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »
Cabela's has 9mm 115gr. Winchester Silvertips for $37.99 but on back order.  They say it will take 3-4 weeks to ship.  I put in an order so we'll see.   :(   :(

Take that with a grain of salt - I placed the same order 2 months ago with a 3-4 weeks "expected" shipping date, and every 2 weeks since then they have sent me an email with a new expected ship date that is 30 days later.....

-------
Rohrbaugh R9S, S&W 1911PD Commander Scandium

Former LEO and USAF Security Police

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
Silvertips may be the difficult one in the supply chain; I had a very
positive experience with another premium 9 mm. order from
Cabela's.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »
Today I spoke to a gentleman in charge of ammo production at Remington.  He said they are running full bore. Production is up 80% over last year and they are sold out for the rest of the year already.  Thank You Mr  Nobama
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:19:15 PM by DTM_39 »
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »
If Remington's production is way up, I'm assuming the other manufacturers are cranking the stuff out as well.  Makes you wonder who's getting all that ammo.

Last time I spoke to the manager of the Sporting Goods Department at my local Wally-World, he said they're getting only a fraction of what they are ordering.

I'm even having trouble getting hand loading components.  Everything's on backorder.  

How many zillion rounds do the hoarders need before they feel comfortable?  ???

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »
In a weird way this is good news. While we are all experiencing hardship and extra cost as to ammo, I have heard nothing but mainstream grocery store comments from people, (not known to me), who want to become first time gun owners.

We are not alone in our reasonable fear of "leaders" who continue to grind out laws that are antithetical to human freedom and seek to disarm those who would defend what was hard fought and won.

Fear is now opportunity for government to intrude and I believe it was Lincoln who stated "you cannot fool all of the people all of the time".

The premise of the second amendment is that it is important for a government to fear its people rather than people fear their government and we are witnessing historical attempts to erode this view.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
Well said, ACP.
I'm gonna have to steal some of those well-chosen words.

Maybe we should all have "Kumbaya" engraved on our R9's.  That should make the pacifists feel more comfortable....  ;D

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »
Hey, I'm here to help and thank you for your compliment.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »
Can you help us with a solution?