Author Topic: Glock News ??  (Read 3811 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Glock News ??
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »

« Prev / Latest Industry Insider Water Cooler Rumors / Next »

LATEST INDUSTRY INSIDER WATER COOLER RUMORS
5/18/2010
While some 72,000 NRA members enjoyed a grand time of browsing the many guns and accessories on display at last week’s NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Charlotte, N.C., the Insider was hanging out at the water cooler. I corralled some of my best industry contacts and caught up on the latest inside gossip.
The best tid-bit concerns The Freedom Group, the umbrella organization under which private equity group Cerberus Capital Management has bought numerous companies in the shooting industry in the past four years including Remington Arms, DPMS, Bushmaster, Marlin and H&R 1871.
t’s long been an open secret that Cerberus, one of the largest private equity funds in the U.S. with approximately $24 billion in holdings, has been wanting to buy a handgun company to complement its long gun-dominated stable of gun companies. A lot of rumors swirled when it was reported that Freedom Group was sniffing around HK, that they made an overture to Para USA and even poked around at Smith & Wesson. Unconfirmed rumors but with that much smoke, something’s got to be burning.
The latest bombshell is that Freedom Group is supposed to be buying Glock. While at first blush this might seem preposterous, I have a couple of reasons to suspect that the grapevine is pulsing true. First, Dr. Gaston Glock, who is approaching 80, is in failing health and might be logically looking at how to best manage Glock Inc., for estate planning.
Anything is for sale at the right price, and Freedom Group is one of the few entities that could write a check to Dr. Glock at whatever the price might be. (Somewhere in the $600 million neighborhood, I would guess.) As long as I’m on the subject of Freedom Group, the Insider picked up another juicy item. Last month, in April, the private equity company bought DynCorp, one of the leading military contractors in the private security industry.
Changing gears, another of my insider sources told me that L3 Communications has formed an umbrella division not unlike The Freedom Group. It’s called the Warrior Systems Group and includes EOTech, EOS (formerly Litton, a manufacturer of night vision devices) and its latest acquisition, Insight Technology. L3 bought Insight, a leading manufacturer of infrared lasers and other tactical products, for a reported $600 million.
L3 Communications has annual sales of approximately $14 billion, which puts it in the same league as the third Big Dog on the shooting industry porch, ATK. The annual revenue for Freedom Group is unknown because it’s a private company, unlike L3 and ATK.
So there you go, the latest from the water cooler in Charlotte and the rousing good time had by all at the 2010 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Glock News ??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
John.  Thanks for the information.  Very interesting!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline JHatmaker

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
Seems like more and more companies are buying each other creating these mega-brands.

Pretty soon, every firearm sold will pretty much be related to each other through a parent company of some sort.  Guess I better get an HK I've been wanting before it turns into a Smith and Wesson-GlimberSigeretta...

Is that a 9mm in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »
Yep!  Have to pick your firearms company very carefully!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:24:49 PM »

With some rare exceptions mergers, downsizing, and outsourcing doesn't seem to produce a product as good as the original.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »
Those are some really interesting "water-cooler" discussions. Thanks for passing them along.

I'm with Tracker. The thought of having our domestic firearms industry globalized and outsourced is disturbing. I can just see the stuff which could result -- frames and magazines stamped out of recycled beer cans in Lower Slobovia, slides and barrels forged out of "unobtainium" in Long Fong Dong, and ammunition manufactured in a plant somewhere even the Lord Himself has forgotten.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
I'm with tracker, too.  Just don't know what this world's coming to.  Every company thinks they have to become bigger.  Then when they buy out another, the results are as tracker says.  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:24:13 AM »
Also makes things easier to "control", if you know what I mean!!

Out of the hospital after 2 weeks,good to see you all are on top of things!! ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Brenden.  Great that you're out of the hospital.  Hope your health continues to be good.  Thanks for letting us know.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:42:29 AM »
Brenden:

I am truly thankful to read that you have broken out of that hospital, my friend! We need you around this campfire.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »
Great when anyone gets out of the hospital, welcome back.
   Just in time for a Memorial Day BBQ.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
Brenden,. good to see you on the outside, enjoy the weekend.  ;D Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
I thank you all, on this weekend of big thank yous!!

It will take me a week to settle all the snail mail,local news,let alone all the e-mail!!

And I am happy to be able to do so!!

Will have to hold off on the grilling this weekend,still weak and the O2 doesn't agree with it ;) It can be done,but must be propane 8)

Once again,thanks for the well wishes..And sorry for the thread drift..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »
Welcome back here and I know you are happy to be home, Brenden; your thread drift is always most welcome. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:30:13 PM by tracker »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:13:02 PM »
Gun companies will become especially easy to control, if they become public.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.