Author Topic: Which would you recommend, and why?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Griff

• Expert
Which would you recommend, and why?
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:39:52 PM »
I carry front pocket.  I have an R9 on order that I hope and believe will be the answer to this. But, until then, there are situations where the Kel-tek Pf9(sorry for the language) just prints.
The question is, if you were choosing between an American Derringer 45/410, and a kel-tec
P-32(sorry,said it again), which would you go with? Why?
Two shots,single action of .45 colt/410 or eight rounds double action .32?
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Which would you recommend, and why?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:48:21 AM »
If those were the only choices I had, which aren't the greatest, I would have to do a testing/training session with a timer and targets.

I would see which one was the most accurate, for distance parameters and which one was the fastest.  The main thing -  which one is the safest to shoot and the most comfortable to shoot.

Before Kel-Tec came out with the 380, I carried the 32 some and it was a very accurate gun and comfortable one for me to carry and shoot.
On the other hand, as much as I loved my American Derringer 45Colt/410, it took 2men and a boy just to pull the trigger!  I realized how superior the Bond Derringer was in EVERYWay and got one of those  and sold the American Derringer.  Hopefully, yours is a better speciman than mine was.

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline gunthorp

• I do what the voices in her head tell me
    • Gunthorp
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
From your choices, I would take the 45 Colt for a walk in the woods and the KT32 for a walk in the park.  My derringer requires two thumbs to cock and two fingers to pull the trigger.  Congratulations in advance on your R9 and welcome to the forum.
The nick of time comes right before the moment lost.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
There is little of value I could add to the two posts by our very knowledgeable members above. Instead, I shall simply welcome you to the Forum, congratulate you on the choice of the R9, and offer the prediction that you will find it to be exactly the pocket pistol for which you are seeking. With a pocket holster from either Meco or Recluse, both of whom are members of the Forum, you will have an ideal combination you can carry with complete confidence that your weapon will remain undetected until such time (God forbid) that you need to draw it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:03:14 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »
 Ditto to what Richard S said! You are one smooth talker Richard I thought your wife is the lawyer? hahaha

;) Robar233

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
Richard IS the silver tongued Counsler!

Her Honor is DA Judge!

:)

p.s.  retired judge
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:31:57 PM by Reinz »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
mistake

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
Yes, she's the judge, now on retired status. I'm just the lowly semi-retired lawyer . . . semi-retired because old lawyers are like old actors -- we'll always come back to work if the pay is right.   8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:12:09 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for your responses.
 Reins,  it is too bad that your American Derringer had such a heavy trigger. Mine is crisp, but light.  (The trigger on the 45/.410) ;).  I had been carrying a NA .22mag mini for years, and shot it a lot, and it was so easy to carry that the biggest danger might very well have been forgetting it was there in an emergency. This is to say that I was moving from a five shot single action to a two shot single action, so was already trained in the basic operation. I had carried the derringer like you said, for walks in the woods, fishing, etcetera.  While it's size is easy on the pocket, I imagine scenarios that two shots with a slooow reload might be a problem.  On the other hand, the first two shots are quite substantial considering size of the delivery system. 
I also have to consider the extra time it takes to cock for single action to get it into action.
That is when I started working the .32 into the rotation.  After having a chamber of.45 colt followed by one of the new .410 shells that have come out for the Taurus Judge in the bottom barrel, the .22mag just seems not enough firepower.  The .32 from Kel-tec, I think, may be the next smallest and lightest option, next to the NAA mini.  While the .32 round may be considered anemic, it allows for discreet carry, quick response of a double action triggered pistol, and greater volume of fire with the stock 7+1 magazine.  My main concern for this choice is it's inability to penetrate hard tissue.

So, after lots of research, and gun juggling, I found the Rohrbaugh on the Internet.
It is going to be a while for the one I ordered to be made, hopefully before Christmas.
Until then, I am gathering holsters, gold dots, snap caps, and carrying the Pf9 when I can, and usually the .32 if I have to compromise.
I really do appreciate everyone's input, and can tell that there is quite a bit of brain power, experience  and good info here.  Thank you for the kind and gracious welcome, and I hope to be able to contribute to the benefit of the group.
Keep your powder dry, and God bless,
Griff
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »

Thanks for the input, Griff, and welcome to the Forum and future R9 ownership.

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
Congrats on the incoming new R9!  Like the others have said, I think you will find it to be tough to beat for front pocket carry.  I also prefer front pocket carry and have carried a KelTec P32 for years.  I had practiced with it enough that I felt very confident in my proficiency and was mostly content with the gun, but I also had my reservations about the .32acp cartridge.  In my opinion, switching from the P32 to the R9 was the logical thing to do.  The biggest difference in carrying is the extra weight as the R9 is about twice as heavy as the P32, and slightly thicker.  I use a Recluse front pocket holster for my R9 and it is hardly noticeable.  I wear pants one size bigger than my actual size to allow for greater room in the thigh area to minimize printing and to allow for me to carry IWB with my larger guns. 

I still carry my P32 if I wear dress slacks that have smaller pockets or if I go out jogging and must have minimal weight.  A fellow Rorhbaugh forum member, Ljutic, has an excellent blog detailing gel tests of a few .32acp cartridges.  Based upon his tests, I like to carry Fiocchi Extrema 60gr. XTP JHPs in the summer time and Buffalo Bore 75gr. HCFN rounds in the winter months.  The Buffalo Bore rounds managed to penetrate 14+ inches of gel after punching through an inch of denim.  Pretty impressive for the little .32acp. 

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:32:21 PM »
Thanks Ghost. That is what I am looking for, and what I think is what is the best of the best of what we can offer to each other; helpful information, shared wisdom, and thoughtful guidance. Thank you for sharing yours. I'm new to this forum posting thing,and it is cool that other gun guys want to share and help each other.
Thanks for the good advice.
- C. S. Lewis