Author Topic: #119 (no R) on GB  (Read 7025 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
#119 (no R) on GB
« on: May 23, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
Lots of miss-information in the ad but #119 with no R prefix is on GB now and looks to be in good shape.

I have #117 and #118 and if I picked this up I would have a neat little run of 3. Interested to hear thoughts on if folks think 3 consecutive SNs would be worth it. With 117 and 118 I have both a sightless "R9" and sighted "R9s" model so no benefit there. Paired guns also seem harder to sell for premium prices so 3 guns may be impossible to unload together.

Thanks for your input.

Ryan.
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: #119 (no R) on GB
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »

I have always been a sucker for consecutive pairs but in reality, I do not think they really add much to the value, but they are neat.

I own 6 sets of consecutive serial numbered Auto Mags and some are very rare versions.  I just recently added #628 to #626 and #627.

The problem is when you go to sell them you have to at least double your price as there are two.  Every time the price doubles you lose 90% of the perspective buyers I always figure.  Triple and lose another 50% of the remaining 10%.

Here is a very rare consecutive set I bought.  I have had lots of offers for one of them but no one wants to put out for two.  There were less than 1500 total Brens produced and less than 50 of the Dual Masters.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=8541.0

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
Only about 48 of these non-prefix R9 pistols were ever produced. Rare birds of the very first run. This one looks unused and uncarried. A very clean specimen.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »

That is a fine looking handgun.  I don't think that is a bad price to ask for one in that condition, low number and all the extras that go with it.

So Eric, you got to field Karls email along with those directed at you?? 

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »

I have always been a sucker for consecutive pairs but in reality, I do not think they really add much to the value, but they are neat.

I own 6 sets of consecutive serial numbered Auto Mags and some are very rare versions.  I just recently added #628 to #626 and #627.

The problem is when you go to sell them you have to at least double your price as there are two.  Every time the price doubles you lose 90% of the perspective buyers I always figure.  Triple and lose another 50% of the remaining 10%.

Here is a very rare consecutive set I bought.  I have had lots of offers for one of them but no one wants to put out for two.  There were less than 1500 total Brens produced and less than 50 of the Dual Masters.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=8541.0

I have to agree that the increased price of a set immediately drops the number of possible buyers.  I bought a pair of Farmingdales for less than what two would have cost individually. 

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 03:43:53 AM »
That is a beauty to add to any collection in my opinion! And at a steal of a price to boot!!
Personally  don't think a threesome would be worth any more of a premium,but it sure is cool!!
Of course I love the Farmies and the blues are beautiful!!
B
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »

That is a fine looking handgun.  I don't think that is a bad price to ask for one in that condition, low number and all the extras that go with it.

So Eric, you got to field Karls email along with those directed at you?? 

Yes I did Mike. Karl wanted no part of the internet and still hates it to this day. I was the guy who was doing all of the promotion online for the gun back in the early days. Then, Karl and Maria decided I shouldn't be talking to the clients or answering questions anymore and stay in the shop and just make the guns. I was never happy about that and now that the company has been sold, I can talk about it. Many people were upset about not being able to speak with me, but I had NO SAY in it. That was Karl & Maria's thing, not me.

(just saying.....)

Eric R.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:19:23 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »
Many thanks for coming out of the closet, Eric.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 06:55:38 AM »
Thanks Tracker. . . . . and I felt upset back then, and now, for not being there for "my" customers. Sadly, some left because of it.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:53 AM »
Back on track now guys! . . . .  ;D . . . . This 119 is rare indeed! Again, a little more than just 48 R9 Pistols were serialized this way, which is how many frames were in one tray at the shop when they came off of the C.N.C. machines. The revised frames had the "R" prefix to the serial numbers.   ;)

ecr

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
Thanks Eric, glad you are able to do things today you were not able to back in the day.

I would not lose sleep over the past, just think about the increase in knowledge you have added to the firearms community since those days.

The auction seems to have a number of bidders and is creeping up a bit.  Still a good price IMHO.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/645778277

I also see that another low numbered gun is being offered, R250 is up for sale.

Lots of ads for the little gun up, got 9 on Gunbroker right now.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=ROHRBAUGH

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:08:44 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 08:33:20 AM »
I hear you Mike and I agree with your sentiments. Hopefully, I have helped some of the members here with any issues they come upon with their pistols. I do what I can. I understand that that is appreciated here and I am really humbled by that. Sometimes I wish I could do more.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
What are your opinions as to purchasing earlier versions such as this one, versus later iterations of the R9 for carry purposes, as far as durability, reliability, and overall function?

I would like to have one of these with the blue carbon fiber grips, and this one looks pristine, but is it inferior in any ways to later models?
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »
This discussion could actually go on for a while, and would be best if we could get together, hang out and have a nice conversation. Unfortunately, we all live too far apart for that to work, so I'll keep it simple here.

The early no-prefix R9s can be used, but at this point would be better suited for a collector as only roughly 48 were made of those. The reason being as we went along, we were constantly upgrading these pistols. For carry, I would look for something around the R4500 serial numbers up until the last ones we made in the R6000 area for carry as those have all of the upgrades done to them. Others in the R101 to R4500 are also a good choice, but have fewer upgrades than the latter. The none-prefix jobs are more collectable, mostly due to those being the very first ones made and the few numbers produced.

I hope this explanation helps.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »
Eric, could you refresh my memory as to what was modified when the USA was added to the slide and what was done when U.S.A. was added?  Phil