Author Topic: Checking In!! CARRY QUESTION.  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Douglas

• Expert
Checking In!! CARRY QUESTION.
« on: June 05, 2021, 02:30:29 AM »
Duane gave me a bunch of help to get back here.

I locked myself out, six months ago.

Humiliating.  :-[

Anyway, I've had an R9 for a decade-plus, and for everyone else, meaning Eric too (-and as far as he knows Karl...)

...are you still carrying your R9s or have you changed to something else, and if so, why?

Fair is fair, I'll fill you in on my current situation, but I'd like to hear some truths first...

Go!

-As, I think that I can log in now.  :) ;D :-[

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: Checking In!! CARRY QUESTION.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
I still carry my R9 in a holster, front pocket, everyday.

When the political situation got tenuous, I did prepare to carry a more substantial sidearm.  Fortunately, where I am at, it has stayed calm.  Haven't seen a need to make any wholesale changes to my normal state.

Welcome Back

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 08:38:45 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
I carry mine daily, if I leave the house it goes with me.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 09:03:09 PM »
I have owned numerous Rohrbaughs and have the greatest respect for the guns and the individuals behind the making of them. I do have one problem with them, and it is not the gun...it is me. I am a terrible shot with it. I have tried everything. When I shoot a Rohrbaugh out of my holster at a target close by...it is not a pretty sight. I am fine with it in a controlled situation like at the range not in a holster. Long story short, I switched to a Sig P938 Legion. My groupings with it are spot on.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 09:25:48 PM »

And this is the way you thank me, Douglas?  LOL.

I'll take the 5th for now and see how this goes.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »
I carry my LWS .32 most summer days here in Florida as Amelia Island is a safe haven with little in the way of violent crime, especially here on the south end.  I pocket carry my R9 almost as frequently as it lends itself to concealed carry OWB, IWB, pocket better than anything I have experienced other than the Seecamp. 

As with the Seecamp, the R9 was originally made without sights and was intended to be a “belly gun” used as a last resort at bad-breath ranges.  I, like Cargaritaville, am not very accurate with it, nor with the Seecamp, but I practice snatch/grab/point/shoot while looking at the target without aiming at 3, 5 and 7 yards and can get two center mass predictably with a third to the head which is about 1/2 the time centered, but other times hits a bit left.  I get the same results with both of those pistols and am satisfied that this is adequate if the “Rule of 3’s” holds true (most gunfights:  3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds).

When traveling or forced to go into downtown Jacksonville, I carry a Sig P365 (12+1) with a spare 15 round mag.  If I am feeling a bit “fey” based on local news reports, I may, as my moniker suggests, have an R9 as backup.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 01:49:26 AM »

And this is the way you thank me, Douglas?  LOL.

I'll take the 5th for now and see how this goes.

:) :) :) :) :)

Guilty, as charged!

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 02:28:05 AM »
I'm glad to be back here, among Rohrbaugh aficionados!

The pistol has never failed me on the line. Not once.

Reloads are a different story. I've told it here before.

Fact is, I've been carrying my S&W M&P340 most often. 5 vs. 7 obviously.

In the pocket, the Smith is lighter than anything else I have. But of course, larger than the R9S.

The R9 draws faster; from a Desantis Nemesis. Talking pockets here. Why bother seeking anything smaller if you plan to carry on the belt?

I also have the sexiest leather Hedley holster you ever saw.

You could see it clearly every time I pull the R9 from my pocket, because the holster will not stay there. I could wave that magnificent leather at you...

-But I couldn't shoot you. Not until I shook the holster off. ; )

I've carried my R9S for more than a decade.

But, ultimately I may prefer revolvers; for bad grips, bad angles, for in a fight, contact shots, etc. Reloads are not very fast, but they are familiar. With speed loaders or strips, I'm pretty quick.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with it these days.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:19:12 PM by Douglas »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »
Welcome back to the fold Douglas.

Well, here you go:   The local scene on Long Island is such that I don't feel the need to carry much at this time. However, when I do, I usually slip my old 1965 Charter Arms .44 Special with Pachmyr grips in my belt. I happen to like big-bore revolvers. I have had one since the late 1970s and with defense ammunition, it just fits me right and I don't feel under-gunned at all. When a more discreet carry is needed, I don my personal R9 with 115JHP Gold Dot ammo and call it a day.

Brother Karl carries a Glock 43 in his belt. It's pretty much his everyday carry at this point.

Hope everyone is enjoying the unmasking! It is finally opening up here on The Island.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 02:35:05 AM »
Hey Eric!

Yes, nice to be back. It's like visiting a ghost town these days unfortunately, compared with days past.

Anyway, another late night post; a Charter .44?!

Anything like this one?

I've seen this one in person.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »

.44 Special is no joke!   ;)

Being kind of identifiable, I try not to talk about specifics too much.  I am partial to j-frame revolvers in an old K&D Holster or a Glock 43 these days.

Nothing wrong with carrying an R9, for sure.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 05:22:23 PM »
That's the one Doug. Mine had a "Bobbed" Hammer and trigger job done to it. I know exactly where it points. Love the sidearm and caliber. I've owned a Bulldog .44 since the late 1970s.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:24:00 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 09:26:19 PM »
Nice!

But that must be like carrying a Volkswagen, vs. an R9!  ;) ;D

The one I posted is the actual Son of Sam gun. It's interesting how many infamous guns (modern history) have been Charters.