Author Topic: My Wife -- Followed by Motorist  (Read 3829 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
My Wife -- Followed by Motorist
« on: August 23, 2004, 05:13:51 PM »
Today my wife was driving to pick up our daughter.  She had a driver make an aggressive, or she thought just ignorant, move to get in front of her at an intersection.  The person then drove in front of her at less than the speed limit.  In an appropriate passing zone, she passed him.  No vulgarities were exchanged.  She told me she thought he was just a slow driver -- but in fact he was trying to control her speed.

She noticed the man was agitated and seemed to be following her.  In good form, she made a series of three right turns and confirmed that he was following her.  She drove past our daughter's school and right into the local police station.  Unfortunately, there was no one immediately outside.  She stoppped, but remained ready to honk and make a fuss to attrack attention or leave as necessary (like if any kind of weapon appeared).  

The guy pulled up next to her and rolled down his window where he screamed about her "reckless" driving and speeding.  He said he had already called the cops, and that his brother was a cop, and she was going to get her due.  He then peeled out and left.  My wife was shaken, but had the presence of mind to get his tag number and went immediately into the police station to make a record of the fact that this nut job had chased her for 3 to 4 miles and threatned some kind of retaliation by his police officer brother.  The desk officer told her nothing would come of his complaints, but took down her info in case.  It was not clear that he was going to figure out who the guy's brother was -- but I wouldn't doubt it.

Overall, I think she handled it well.  I was proud of her.  Amazing the determination and temper of the nut jobs out there.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline gunner930

Re: My Wife -- Followed by Motorist
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:32:23 PM »
 I can see why your wife was shaken. She odviously handled the situation right. My guess is that he was full of sh__ about calling the cops and probebly his brother being one or he would have gone into the police station himself.
 In a perfect world, they'd trace his tag and send an officer to his house and charge him with harassment or one of the road-rage charges. Probebly without witnesses, she'd have to press charges and go through all the court red tape.
 Plenty of nut-jobs out there. Thats for sure......

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:37:54 PM »
Strange thing, a young woman driver did this "deliberately slow down in from of you" thing to me a couple of weeks ago. I had done nothing at all to offend her, and never saw her before or since. But for three blocks she slowed down to about 5 mph, watching me in the rear view mirror all the time to see if I'd try to pass her in another lane, I guess.

Since she was in front of me, I just turned left on the street that I wanted, and she continued on, speeding up to normal speed as soon as I turned. I figured she was mad at her boyfriend or something else, nothing to do with me, but just looking for someone to annoy.  

It's interesting how differently the different genders react to such things. I just thought "silly girl, grow up," but if I'd been a woman and it had been a guy deliberately slowing me down and then yelling at me, I can see why that would be cause for concern. And I didn't get her license number. Duane, your wife did better than I did.  

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:52:59 PM »
My best guess:  the police will send a couple of officers to give this idiot a warning along the lines of "Do it again and next time you are coming with us."

His brother is a cop?  Sure he is.   ::)

Unfortunate that the fact that she was going to a school limited her preparedness options.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 09:05:23 PM »
Duane - strikes me she handled this with aplomb ... hard to fault her decisions.

Sounds like BS tenfold - she parked at Police Station and he comes to mouth off about reporting her (for what, of course!) - sheesh.  It really is incredible the creeps that exist out there ... it exemplifies yet again our need for not only observational skills but also restraint ... where and whenever we can excercise it.... hard tho that may be.

Glad it was an OK outcome.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 11:32:27 PM »
Duane:

Your wife acted exactly as she should have done.  She demonstrated one of the most noble qualities which we humans can display -- grace under pressure.

These creeps who masquerade behind false bravado and anonymity -- whether in real life or on the Internet -- give me a collosal pain in the "backside."  

My congratulations are extended to your wife!  I know you are proud of her.

RS
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:19:10 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 01:41:22 AM »
Very good decision making under pressure.  Good for her!

Seems to be all kinds of wackos out there on the road these days.  A few days ago, a man harrassed my wife on the interstate for over 30 miles.  Seems driving motor vehicles bring out the worst in some people.