Author Topic: Neighborhood controller  (Read 2463 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Neighborhood controller
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Several members who own a Desert Eagle .50 A.E. will be pleased to note that a gentleman in a suit and tie heard a neighbor in distress in Bellaire TX. He stepped outside, saw the burglar fleeing, fired one shot of the hand cannon into the ground to get his attention, and the 20 year old perpetrator threw up his hands and said, "Don't shoot me." This happened yesterday and youtube footage is widely available. I heard he also paid a visit to Starbucks later but that is unconfirmed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:09:08 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Neighborhood controller
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
It'll definitely get his attention.  Thanks for sharing.   
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:58:27 AM »
Several members who own a Desert Eagle .50 A.E. will be pleased to note that a gentleman in a suit and tie heard a neighbor in distress in Bellaire TX. He stepped outside, saw the burglar fleeing, fired one shot of the hand cannon into the ground to get his attention, and the 20 year old perpetrator threw up his hands and said, "Don't shoot me." This happened yesterday and youtube footage is widely available. I heard he also paid a visit to Starbucks later but that is unconfirmed.

That story alone is reason enough to own a Desert Eagle .50 A.E.  8)  It prompted me to retrieve this photo of one being fired at night. It was originally posted to the Forum some four or five years ago by another member of the Forum ("R9SCarry", if memory serves -- and my apologies if it was another member) and saved at the time to my Photobucket account. 

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
Had a .44mag pistol that looked like a flamethrower at dusk.  Great weapon...you could kill it and cook it with one shot!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
cant seem to find it on youtube.  can we get a link?  would love to see this.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
It was available yesterday on the Houston local newspaper website, Houston Chronicle, and local news stations but it had been deleted when I tried to cut and paste it. The reason I didn't send the link initially is that there were also a lot of controversial and some inapprpriate reader comments. The main link showed the alert neighbor reenacting the incident with his Desert Eagle for the reporter. The local sheriff commented that they couldn't have caught the thief without the vigilant citizen's help. 

Apparently, the news media couldn't take the heat, perceived or otherwise, of showing a concerned citizen brandishing a Desert Eagle in defense of his elderly neighbor.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:09:40 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »
Actually, if the burglar was fleeing, the man who fired could have been charged with forcible felony if either the burglar or the police opined that he fired AT the perp.  You cannot use a weapon in defense of property, nor if the perpetrator is fleeing (retreating), even if from a forcible felony.  Although he acted appropriately, in some areas he would have likely been in BIG trouble.  Also note that having fired the weapon, he opened himself up to returned fire that might actually have been considered justified in court.  Just not worth the capture of a 20 year old burglar who at that time threatened no harm to life or limb to any individual.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
I'm just reporting the incident, but, apparently, the police had no problem with his actions. He fired into the ground directly in front of himself, not in the area of the burglar but it was substantial enough with the Desert Eagle that he stopped and put his hands up. I don't disagree with you that some minor incidents just do not justify discharging a weapon. There was a case just south of here where a homeowner saw a break-in at his neighbor's house, went outside with his shotgun and fatally wounded the burglar after warning him to stop. I think he went to trial but was acquitted or posiibly no billed at the Grand Jury. As you can imagine there was quite a stir over that one and he probably will regret it for a long time.

In Texas, a Castle Law State, one can use a weapon in defense of one's own property on the property after dark or in the residence at all times. For example, if someone is caught stealing a vehicle in the driveway after dark, deadly force is justified under the present law.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:38:34 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:22 PM »
Gotta love Texas...I always enjoy being there...have friends in San Antonio.  Tennessee is another state where generally weapons are valued...some states are full of liberal idiots, but they do abound in small enclaves in many states...don't go to trial for a weapon issue in those areas, even if you are in the right!

The shotgun incident just shows how lucky some people can be...in many areas he's be in jail for murder for a 20 year stint!  This book is a great read and has pertinence even for those who don't carry in Florida.

Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:52:25 PM »
Oklahoma gun laws are quite similar to Texas.  It sure is nice.  I can't imagine how they jump through all the hoops in IL, NY, and CA.  Reason enough for me to not want to live there.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington