Author Topic: colt books  (Read 2121 times)

Offline ford999

colt books
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
Anybody have a suggestion for a book that I could get to educate myself on older colt revolvers? Am interested in them but don't want to make a mistake in a purchase that I could have avoided. I have been reading the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and have found it very interesting and informative. The history of these older revolvers is intriguing. Would like to have a few of them but want to make a smart purchase. Thanks to all. Ron

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: colt books
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Books by C. Kenneth Moore and R.L. Wilson stand out as good sources. I have one by R.L.Wilson, "Colt  An American Legend", that is quite good and not too expensive. I think I only paid $18 for it several years ago.
It is just a primer on Colts but some of his others like, "The Book of Colt Firearms", contains more specific information and commands a much higher price. You may want to focus on models like the Single Action Army for more detail.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:40:33 PM by tracker »

Offline ford999

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
Tracker, Thanks for the reply, think I will get one of Wilson's books and get to reading. 

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:34 AM »
Excellent suggestion Tracker.  http://www.wilsonbooks.com/ is a great place to start. 

I've purchased a few books from them, including one high dollar book that in my humble opinion is worth it's weight in gold.  If you ever decide you want to take the massive dive into Colt firearm history I'd highly suggest the following book:

http://www.wilsonbooks.com/BkCltFir3rdEd.html

The Book of Colt Firearms, Third Edition

by

R. L.Wilson

Updated and expanded Third edition of the landmark work, The Book of Colt Firearms (originally published 1971, 2nd edition in 1993). Now a monumental 648-pages and weighing over 7 lbs., the volume was referred to by distinguished antique arms dealer Herb Glass as "the best gun book ever published." Approximately 32 pages of specially commissioned color photographs of magnificent Colt firearms, by Dennis Adler. With updated serial number tables and dates of manufacture, through c. 1998, as well as expanded Historical Outline, revised index and index of models, expanded and updated bibliography, and more.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington