Author Topic: My PayPal account was hacked  (Read 1531 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
My PayPal account was hacked
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
A person, who we will call:

Rex Walters
6044 Bluffs Dr
Liberty Township, OH 45044-8670
1-513-759-7921

decided it would be a good idea to access my paypal account tonight and charge me 52.38 to purchase a 12 month Xbox Live Gold membership on Buy.com.  What they did not realize is that I am also somewhat computer savvy and have been able to acquire all his information, along with that of his wife and daughter.  I have since cancelled the order he placed, submitted his name to PayPal, Buy.com, the ICC (International Chamber of Commerce) and the United States Department Of Justice Internet Fraud division. 

I also politely gave him a call this morning to explain that I have thwarted his attempt to steal from me, giving him his Buy.com invoice number, reciting his name, wifes name (I kept the daughter out of it), and address.  Told him that his order was cancelled and that I have turned him into the authorities, at which time I was promptly hung up on.

I was mad at first, but the more I dug up on him, getting all his info (including his tax record on his nice 4 bedroom home he purchased last year from the Butler County Ohio Tax Office's website, of which he still owes $377.24 in property taxes from 2011 ), the more it made me smile knowing that I could simply just cancel his order and get my money back, but putting the fear of god in him is much more satisfying.

A deep sense of satisfaction is with me as I type this out, and I hope it gives you guys and gals chuckle today.

-Adam
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:59:27 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: My PayPal account was hacked
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
Excellent recon! :)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Lesson: Don't mess with an "Okie" (which I am proud to be even though now hanging my hat in East Tennessee).   8)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:28:28 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline olpanrider

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
Hmmm.....that's disturbing. PayPal is touted as being one of the more secure sites.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:44:52 PM »
That really doesn't fit your typical hacker profile...neither the person nor the crime.  I wonder if this is a legitimate screw up somewhere at PayPal where wires got crossed?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline gunthorp

• I do what the voices in her head tell me
    • Gunthorp
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
It's pretty easy to put a hold on a paypal transaction pending resoluton.  Of course, paypal still gets their cut of the payment out of the seller.  If it's not a mistake, and if a scam or fraud is reasonably suspected, the full payment will be reversed and kudos for going on the offensive.
The nick of time comes right before the moment lost.