Author Topic: Any Truth about Rohrbaugh Problems?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Gramps

Any Truth about Rohrbaugh Problems?
« on: August 02, 2005, 02:23:43 PM »
Hi All!

I'm a new member and hopfully soon to be Rohrbaugh owner. I currently own 2 Rugers ( a 36+ year old Bearcat and a 12+  year old GP-100) and a new Kel-Tec P3AT.
   Several of the gunshops I frequent have mentioned problems that they say are known about the Rohrbaugh R9s.
I have been told that the recoil springs need to be replaced  after 200 to 300 rounds. Also that there are jamming problems. Are there any truth to these statements? The reason I ask, is that there is a considerable investment involved with the Rohrbaugh purchase. Convincing my wife about this purchase is not an easy process. Especially since I purchased the Kel-Tec and had problems with it right from the start.

Gramps
NRA Life Endowment Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Any Truth about Rohrbaugh Problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
Gramps:

Welcome to the Forum.

I know of absolutely no endemic problems with the Rohrbaugh pistols.  My R9s is one of the first ones shipped last year, and it has shown no vices.   The occasional glitches of which I am aware have been limited to a handfull of pistols and have all been promptly corrected by the factory.

Others will add their opinions, but I consider the Rohrbaugh to be a masterpiece of design and function.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:59:23 PM »
Gramps - welcome (another gramps here!) - :)

Indeed, the pup has experienced some teething problems here and there but not I'd say more than any thorobred in its earlier days.  Add to that superlative customer service from Bros R if there are prob's.

Being a close tolerance item it is a tad ''fussy'' - which means for most of us ensuring we use the ammo best suited to our gun.  The recoil spring replacement every 500 rounds is in part a precautionary move - a means to ensure and maintain good function.  I have not pushed mine to any limit but would imagine that figure could usually be doubled without necessarily having trouble... I prefer to stick to recommended measures.

Another thing, and I certainly do not say this as other than a reinforcement of Karl's words - this gun is not designed as a range plaything - not a plinker for huge ammo volumes.  It is as Karl says - ''carry a lot, shoot a little''.  It's prime purpose is defensive as against recreational.

I have settled as others have, like Duane - to shooting thru a coupla mags every month or so, using carry ammo and so then reloading with fresh.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »
I'll just bet none of those shops reporting those "problems" had one for sale or even knew where to get one.  The shop here in my town is just that way,  If he doesn't have it, you don't need it.  

This is not to say there are no problems, I wouldn't expect you to believe that,  all mechanical things have problems.  But what I do say is, The Rohrbaugh has excellent factory support and problems are few..
RJ=

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 03:55:05 PM »
The Internet has a may of magnifying problems....  If I read Glock Talk enough, I would beleive I was taking my life in my hands everytime I fired a .40 caliber Glock.  

The R-9 is a great gun.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Welcome to the forum.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Gramps

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 04:09:17 PM »
Hey!

Thanks for the fast replies. I realise the R9 isn't for playing at the range with. The quality I understand is there, 500 rounds just doesn't seen like a lot. Only firing 24 rounds a month for pratice and a replacement would be needed within a year and a half and two years. My old Bearcat has probably 14 to 15 thousand rounds through it. I have never had to replace anything except the grips. It is a .22 though and the round isn't exactly had on a gun. Grandkids can be a lot of fun can't they RS9Carry? I've 9 of them so far; from 1 year to 19 years old. The oldest (19 yrs) is getting married this month. She may make me a great gramps in a couple of years maybe.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 04:12:05 PM »
Replacing the spring is not a big deal though.  My gun came with my first replacment spring.

Many of the small, powerful pocket guns have similar recommendations on spring replacement.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 05:32:38 PM »
Gramps - oh my - you are way ahead of me!!!  My grandkids have come rather late in life and so far just two - neither yet a year old!  I'll know where to go for advice :D

I know the 500 round spring-change issue does seem rather modest when you consider other guns but worth remembering that this lil' gun is somewhat ''on the edge'' re what it can do with the caliber.  It is of course expressly designed around the 9mm but - to keep size down etc it is refined to the point that shall we say - it has to ''work harder'' to contain this caliber useage.

I think with that in mind - a simple spring ''refresh'' is not too big a deal in order to have a rather ''state-of-the-art'' defence piece.  I can live with that! :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 05:48:57 PM »
Welcome Gramps,  You've found a great place to hang your hat..

You wrote, " Several of the gunshops I frequent have mentioned problems that they say are known about the Rohrbaugh R9s."

I've heard this behavior before, usually at a shop that doesn't have a Rohrbaugh and don't know how to get one.  Most are just lazy and don't want to order from anyone they don't already have an account with.  So they bad mouth every thing that's not in their Show Cases..,...but that's just my view on it.   This is a Fine little pistol., no doubt about it.. and a fine group of guys that will tell you the same.. ;D

There have been a few problems, but getting them taken care of is NOT one of them..  Hang around, you'll see..
RJ=

Offline Gramps

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 05:49:07 PM »
Well...

The recoil spring replacement can be accepted as a "preventative" maintainence precedure. The jamming issue is to ONLY utilize higher quality ammunition in a high quality, cutting edge firearm. OK! You have me convinced. Know I have to start working on convincing the wife ;)

Y'all have a good day and an even better evenin'.

Gramps

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 06:21:48 PM »
The Internet has a may of magnifying problems....  If I read Glock Talk enough, I would beleive I was taking my life in my hands everytime I fired a .40 caliber Glock.  

The R-9 is a great gun.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Welcome to the forum.

Being another GT regular, I've heard negative scuttlebut about several firearms; some of which I own and have had function flawlessly for years.

Course we all remember all the 'Plastic pistol', 'Tupperware' horror stories. ;)

Offline privatejoker86

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 12:49:33 PM »
Plastic pistol?  Man i'd never own one of those.  I heard that since they are neither single action nor double action, they are always half-cocked.  And if you've ever heard the adage about not going off half-cocked.... sounds like something I want nothing to do with.   8)

By the way, i'm a new guy .... thinkin' about a purchase.  You guys seem to run a great forum.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 12:58:29 PM »
Thanks! And welcome to the forum...
Duane (DDGator)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2005, 02:45:46 PM »
Gramps and privatejoker, Welcome to the forum. Enjoy posting and seeing whats going on.  The R9 is a great pistol and is just right for a deep cover carry gun.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline cobb

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 11:02:44 AM »
I guess I can't understand the issue of replacing the spring every 300-500 rounds in a quality firearm.  So what is the issue, replacement?  I would have to think you would have to clean it a couple times within firing those 300-500 rounds, replace the spring then, what's the big deal.  Cost of the spring?  Well folks, fill one of those high cap 9mm  magazine with quality ammo and that may have just cost you more than the cost of the R9 spring, and you only got 17 shots out of that mag compaired to 300-500 with a spring.

So, what am I missing here?  ::)
"Pain and discomfort are a great teacher." - cobb

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING - Mankato, MN. - DPS/BCA approved training organization.
NRA & UTAH certified instructor.
www.RiverValleyTraining.com