Author Topic: ?  Am I the only one?  Trigger sticks ...  (Read 10966 times)

Offline shortslide

Re: ?  Am I the only one?  Trigger sticks ...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
My issue is resolved, but in an unexpected way.   After hooking the spring back into the Sear Bar and putting the grip panel back on, everything seemed fine.   Dry fire resulted in perfect trigger reset.   Off to the range on Saturday.   Second shot and no trigger reset.   I drop the mag, and rack the slide to remove the live round.   I open the grip panel and the spring has come off the Sear Bar.   So I re-attach the spring and screw on the grip panel.   First shot is fine, but no trigger reset - darn it.   I rack the slide, ejecting the unfired round, then fire the next round, and again the trigger fails to reset.   I unload and make the R9 safe.   Then take off grip panel and re-attach the spring, then re-attach grip panel.   First dry fire is fine (because I racked the slide to make the gun safe) but now trigger does not reset for the second dry fire.    Unscrew grip panel and the spring as detached from the Sear Bar - this after a simple fry fire.    OK so it's it's off to Williams then.   

At home on Saturday I remove the grips, which look fine.  But remember that Eli sold me two other sets of grips.   So I put the original seemingly brand new grips back on, with shiny brand new grip screws - this after once again re-attaching the spring to the back of the Sear Bar.   The trigger now resets when I dry fire the R9.   So maybe I just needed a new grip (see pic below with new grips installed - the old grips next to the R9).  Back to the range on Sunday because there is no place in my town to take a pistol and squeeze off a few rounds.   And I don't want to chance finding some woods and getting caught by the police, so I had to wait.   

Sunday at the range the R-9 worked fine - but with the different (I think the original) grips back on.   I much prefer the original grips because they are thinner, so besides concealing a bit better  (the former grips bow out a little) the original grips also have a nice grippy texture which allows me to actually keep my ring finger on the R9 for almost all five shots.   The other grips were slick and my ring finger would slide off after each shot.   Not sure why, but the brand new original grips keep the spring in place - I fired 20 rounds with no trigger reset issues.   I wonder if anyone here has had the same problem.   Their grips 'wear out' and they experience trigger reset issues due to loose grips.   I am thinking the inside of my right panel was ground down enough so that the spring was not being held into place on the back of the Sear trigger Bar.

First pic is after the Sunday range session.   R9 next to my Tactical Supergrade  and my 4 inch Colt King Cobra.   Old, seemingly worn out R9 grip panels lying next to the R9.

Second pic is taken with the top slide removed, looking down into the grip.  Note that you can see the Sear Trigger Bar.   I show this because two years ago, I pulled a cleaning rag thru the magazine well in order to 'clean' it.   What I did was knock off the spring which lead to me opening up the grip panel, with the ensuing 30 minute struggle/panic to get everything re-assembled without knowing how it should look.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:21:28 PM by shortslide »

Offline shortslide

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
Just be careful John when you pull the right side grip off. Sometimes, those pins can get worn and slightly rounded off, causing an issue putting things back together. I've had my share of using a small punch to "mushroom out" the top of those pins to keep the trigger spring in place. Not a bad thing to do, if you have the knack and steady hands. Just take your time and you should be fine. . . . . . It is, as you can see, an extremely simply design in there.

Eric R.

John,

Please note that ECR responded to your question on the first page, but my post above became the top of the second page.   Don't want anyone to miss the good stuff from ECR on page one of this thread.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:42:10 PM by shortslide »

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »
  Eric,
  Something tells me to leave well enough alone.
   I have only shot around 150 or so rounds total  through it.And i have kept it clean.
      Take care Eric.thanks.
                                                                                                         John

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
That is a very wise conclusion.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
   Yes Tracker,sometimes I use what God gave me.
   I remember back in 1972 or 1973.My girl friend,who now has been my wife for almost 40 years,gave me a Pluger fishing reel for my birthday.It cost  quite a bit.You know they still try to impress you then,sometimes.
   Well,I just had to see what made it tick and took it apart.Big mistake.Lots of innards.Well,I put all the pieces in some kind of baggie and asked her if she would take it down to Jim's Sportsheaven ,in Waukesha,Wi. where she bought it  and tell them her little brother got a hold of it and took it apart and could they put it back together for her.
     I don't think it flew with her,and probably there it sat.Good thing Glocks are so simple.
      Have a good week tracker! :)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
This is for shortslide:  I just re-read your post here and I see you dry fired your pistol some 100 times or so and you are worried about failure of the firing pin. Well, something to look out for.......We noticed at the factory when one would come back and had the firing pin stuck forward, it was from dry firing without a dummy round or a spent casing (with spent primer) in the barrel. That does damage the firing pin where it is thick and tappers down to go through the firing pin hole in the breach face of the slide. It mushrooms out and gets stuck. Simple. So you will know when you have trouble with your R9 when the firing pin gets stuck and it stands out through the hole in the slide and does not retract back into the slide. Just something to be aware of, but it's not the end of the world guys. In the future ~ Please don't dry fire the thing ok. . . . lol

Enjoy your week.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »
Yes dont dry fire the pos. I mean pup...in fact, dont shoot it. dont even look at it cross eyed. But if you do, rest assured the brothers will fix it. Oh wait, ok well um...yea the company folded. Well im sure Remington will fix it!...oh wait...um...well just hold on to it. Itll be worth MILLIONS cuz the company went under.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
capt., you certainly didn't drink the koolaid. Is this another caustic comment, an objective observation, sour grapes or what? You have been at it for about 10 years now; isn't it time to give it a rest?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
capt...maybe you should change your name to Guyana Koolaid since its obvious that you were late for the party there.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
Yes dont dry fire the pos. I mean pup...in fact, dont shoot it. dont even look at it cross eyed. But if you do, rest assured the brothers will fix it. Oh wait, ok well um...yea the company folded. Well im sure Remington will fix it!...oh wait...um...well just hold on to it. Itll be worth MILLIONS cuz the company went under.

Exactly!

If you're lucking Remington will buy it.  Unless you got is used from someone 5th hand.  I wish guns had a carfax so you could see how many times they've been dumped.  SOP for an R9 lemon is put it on GunBroker. 

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »
"If you're lucking" sounds as though you hit the send button after ti martoonis.