Author Topic: Range report need assistance  (Read 8192 times)

Offline jpshag

Range report need assistance
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
I went to the range today with my new r9s with federal 115fmj and 115wwb fmj and could not get a full magazine through the gun. The problem was that I was getting failure to eject the spent round, it would just stay in the chamber. I shot an r9s stealth a friend of mine owned and put 50 flawless rounds of the federal 115fmj's through it. I spoke to Maria at Rohrbaugh and she suggested american eagle fmj, so I picked up a box of that, and gold dot 124's. I made sure I wasn't limp wristing when I went to the range with my r9.  I cleaned and lubed it prior to shooting it, so I know that wasant the problem. Any suggestions.  I will try the differant ammo tomorrow. Thanks

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Range report need assistance
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
JP - welcome to the forum and congrats on your R9!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

It's obvious that you know how to shoot the gun, but we need a little bit more information.

How are the  FTE's not coming out ?

Not budging from the chamber at all ?

Stove piping upward?

Stove piping to the right?

Is the case coming out from the ejection port most of the way with the mouth catching on the slide causing a big dent on the case mouth ?

is it doubling-  the empty almost all the way out of the chamber while a fresh round is trying to come in ?

Something else ?

Thanks
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
jp a welcome from me and sorry to hear about the issue.
    It sounds like an extractor issue if it is leaving the round in the pipe, check to see that there is no debris in or around it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:02:01 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »
jp.  Welcome to the Forum and sorry as well, about your R9's problem.  Hopefully, you'll get it resolved very soon.  Wish I had more to offer, however, maybe the other ammo will work better.    
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline jpshag

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the repilies, basically the fired casing would stay in the chamber, so the next round could not be loaded. I did not see any big dents in the casing but I see a little marking on the rim. It sounded like an extractor problem to me too, but I don't want to jump the gun. It would be a shame to have to send a new gun back to rohrbaugh. I feel I should be at least able to shoot 40 or 50 rounds without a malfuncntion even from a pocket auto. Hopefully the new ammo works. Thanks again.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
My first R9 did the same thing with every ammo I tried except some Baser Aluminum.  The extractor was clean and looked OK to me.  These jams were extremely hard to clear without a slide latch.  I went home with blood blisters all three trips I took it to the range which didn't endear me to that pistol.

I sent it back to Long Island for good.

I did obtain a second R9 and have had zero problems.

Offline jpshag

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
That sounds just like my experience, I hope it does not have to go back but I think it will.  Hopefully the new ammo works.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
Sounds like a tough diagnoses over a forum and needs a looksie by a gunsmith.

If a round can be ejected manually, then that would make me think that the ejector is working and maybe the chamber is too tight when the case swells after firing.

And/ or the ejector spring is malfunctioning, or a combo of things.  

Small burr in the chamber as well maybe.

Just needs a close inspection by  someone  of knowledge.

Good Luck!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »
It should have worked with most of the ammo you used!  Even if it works with the new ammo, I would not use it for carry.  If it were mine, I'd send it back and ask for a replacement.  Just sayin'.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline jpshag

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
Problem solved. I shot 37, 124 grain GDHP, and 25 American eagle 115fmj's, with zero malfunctions. I guess it did not like WWB and Federal red box. I did clean it it and lubricate it with break free. Thanks for everyones help.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
That was a easy fix!  Happy for you.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »
Great, jp.  Glad the new ammo worked.  Excellent!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
Good deal, that's gotta be a load off of your mind.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
Maybe after a few hundred rounds it will be less fussy but if not you have a good combo for range and carry. :D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline jpshag

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
True, I am happy withthe present combo.