Author Topic: Hornady Critical Defense  (Read 14672 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Hornady Critical Defense
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 12:09:31 PM »
Finally got to the Gunsmith's shop yesterday to check the headspace on the R9, Colt Pocket Nine, and the PM9 as a comparison.

The results are I suspected with all being well within specifications.  The chamber of the R9 was cut a little deeper than the PM9 but still within specs.  The Hornady CD ammo is on the "short side" of the tolerances also.  The result was about .010 inch free play which in my Gunsmith's opinion should not cause problems.

Soft primers could also be a factor but that is just speculation on our part.

Thanks for the update, MRC.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:11:13 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
Just an update.  I got ahold of a different lot of the Hornady 9mm CD ammo to run some more tests.

I took  the R9. a Colt Pocket Nine, and a PM9 to the range to test.  The results with the R9 were the same, 'fried egg' looking primers but all firing on the first trigger pull.

The Pocket Nine shot the CD's well with normal looking primers but on the light side.  I have had trouble with 'fried egg' primers in the past with some ammo in this particular pistol but not with the CD's this time.

The PM9 shot really well with the CD's and showed good, strong hits of the firing pin to the primer typical of striker fired pistols.

I am 98% sure that the R9 would function well with the CD's but I will not take a chance with them.  The CD's look like the ammo  I will carry in the PM9 and the P380 though.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Don't know if we will ever solve this mystery.  :-/
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 07:49:35 AM »
I spent some time at the range yesterday and sent 50 rounds of Hornady FTX Critical Defense through my pup.  Flawless and 49 centerd holes in the paper's head.......... ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »
Great.  Very good news on the Critical Defense.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »
I also shot some guard dog and must say that it too ran flawless and with much less recoil.  I just wish that round did better in the jello tests..............