Author Topic: What put Rohrbaugh out of business?  (Read 9028 times)

Offline johnny

• Master
What put Rohrbaugh out of business?
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:11:44 AM »
   I have had an R9 for about 6 years. Nothing that I have had comes close to the comfort of it for carrying.
        I had no idea they were out of business until I got reacquainted here on this forum. I was wondering when I saw no changes on their website for the last many months.
        The quality is top notch, so what gives? I have my suspicions, but was there a concrete reason given by the company for the demise?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: What put Rohrbaugh out of business?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
Johnny:

Welcome to the Forum.

As for Rohrbaugh Firearms, it is inaccurate to describe the company as having had a "demise." Remington simply made the Brothers Rohrbaugh an offer that would have been poor financial judgement on their part to refuse. Karl and Eric had designed the smallest and lightest 9mm handgun in history and successfully marketed it for a decade. In my opinion, it was almost inevitable that one of the "majors" would seek to acquire the company.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »

The Rohrbaugh brothers have never given a reason for the sale, nor are they permitted to discuss it at this time.

Whilst I agree with Richard, I think there was ample evidence to conclude that the old Rohrbaugh company had difficultly maintaining a consistent stream of production.  The reasons why are complicated, but not all that unusual or difficult to understand.  It can be hard to compete with much larger companies that dominate the supply chains and such.

I hope that someday the whole story can be told.

However, nothing put them "out of business."  They sold their business as a going concern.  What Remington chooses to do with it, is up to them.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »
     I think it might be time to clean it up and put it away. I did buy a half dozen main springs around the time I purchased it.
  I had some feeding issues with it when I first got it but after a hundred rounds or so, never had an issue with it.
       Sorry, I don't have a whole lot of faith in what Remington has in mind, but, have to wait and see, I guess.  I am curious how many they produced. My serial number is in the real low 5,000's.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
Here is a thread giving the production totals and history.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7470.0

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:16:04 PM »
   Wow-it looks like less than 7,000 then. A rare breed!
      Thank you for the info.