Author Topic: "Cell Phone" holster  (Read 11903 times)

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
"Cell Phone" holster
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »
I'm sorry. I've seen this information in another thread somewhere on the Rohrbaugh Forum but I can't find it.

Someone makes a holster for wearing on your belt that completely hides the gun; like a cell phone case.  I believe this would constitute legal concealed carry even if the holster were in plan sight and, as such, could be a great way to carry.

Can anyone comment on this and maybe offer a link to the provider of such a holster?

Thanks
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
Re: "Cell Phone" holster
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »
http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206244304

Check this out, I think this is what you are looking for.

Check out the seecamp.com forum and the hoslter subforum for good info on hosters.

Good luck.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »
Great.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  I sent them an email asking if they could make this case for a Rohrbaugh (their website says they only supply for the Seecamp 32/380).  I'll let you know what I find out.

Do you know if anyone else makes (or could make) this IPS (In Plain Sight) holster?

Thanks again...
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:15:49 AM »
I think Ron Graham makes something similar but he has terrible problems with order followup and delivery.  Read on the Seecamp forum about Graham holsters but I would never buy one based on MANY complaints from folks buying in stock holsters and not getting them months later after having paid for them.  Buyer beware with this one.

Good luck.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »
I have no experience with Ron Graham but I contacted Leatherandstuff and they are sending me an IPS for my evaluation.  They do not show this case for the Rohrbaugh on their website but they say they used to make one and this was remaining stock.  Apparently, it's slightly larger than the one they make for the Seecamp and people were put off by the larger size.  Well, let's see... slightly larger pistol = slightly larger holster...  Hmmmmm...

I'll give feedback in a week when I've had a chance to check it out.

Offline X-Pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
I have no experience with Ron Graham but I contacted Leatherandstuff and they are sending me an IPS for my evaluation.  They do not show this case for the Rohrbaugh on their website but they say they used to make one and this was remaining stock.  Apparently, it's slightly larger than the one they make for the Seecamp and people were put off by the larger size.  Well, let's see... slightly larger pistol = slightly larger holster...  Hmmmmm...

I'll give feedback in a week when I've had a chance to check it out.

Chinook, when I read your post, I thought that I had written it and was having a senior moment. Jim at leather and stuff is mailing me one tomorrow to try and if I like it send him payment. I thought that I got the last one left over. Did he send an old advertisement with pictures comparing it with the seecamp?

God Bless America!

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:53 AM »
Actually, Jim told me he had just sent what he thought was his last one but that he had just found another.  This is the one he says he'll send to me.

If anyone else comes along and says he bought another of Jim's "very last ones",..., we can start to be suspicious..

Later

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:58:54 PM »
I'm back from my week away and, exactly as promised, the IPS holster from Jim Powell (Leather & Stuff) was waiting for me.  At first, I was a little off-put by its size and I thought the inside was a little tight for easy extraction.  But closer examination shows this holster is really well made.  It's lined with a softer leather so the level of protection for the R9 is pretty good.  It is a tight fit but after using it a few times, extraction is acceptable.

I don't know if I can use it in Texas because even when the R9 is pushed fully down, the top can be seen if you look down the side and under the flap.  I need to get more information on what constitutes legal carry here.

One of the problems I have is how to decide what is the best type of carry for me.  I bought the R9 to have a pocket gun and it rides nicely in my front jeans pockets.  I was actually looking for a pocket holster when this IPS concept popped up.  I'm going to start another thread on the subject.  Meanwhile, I'm going to send Jim the money for this holster because I've got to start somewhere...

James

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »
Can we see some pictures?

Rick

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:24 AM »
Is there an easy way to import pictures to one of these messages?

Thanks

Offline jeffgraham

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »
Have to comment on the negative comments regarding Ron Graham holsters.  I have no expierence with ordering from him, I bought my ostrich  front pants pocket holster from a gun dealer.  The quality is impeccable.  I couldn't bre happier with it.  I carry it every day in suit pants, jeans, shorts - everything.  It still appears brand new after over two years of carry.  It is comfortable, hides the gun and has a very this finger push disc on the outside that helps with the draw.  If you can get your hands on one, buy it.  Whether I'd order one direct from Ron, I don't know.

Incidentally, I am not related to him even though I am a Graham as well.

Offline maverick01

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
Graham makes his "boxster" for the R9 and it works well ,but he was very slow at delivery.m He did respond to email ?? tho.
It works well for hidden belt carry in hot weather,etc.

Offline eddie_c-clamp

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »
The In Plain Sight is a very well made holster........I aint from the great State of Texas but it sure looks like a concealed carry to me 8)

Offline MrsFosforos

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
I have Jim Powell's IPS for my seecamp - shown here beside my blackberry for a size comparison. This is the larger, original version.

Jim doesn't market it for this use- but I like the larger one because I can also add an extra magazine into it.

He has an newer one now that is a bit narrower. I have both.
Here is a pic from his website:

It is amazing how much difference it makes, just being a little more narrow on the belt. It is almost imperceivable.The narrower one is also dual duty at our house too. My husband sometimes uses it to carry two full sized 1911 magazines in it!!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:34:43 PM »
It looks a belt loop on the back or is it a clip?; also, could
you post his website and does he make one for the R9?