Author Topic: Starting to get braver  (Read 12877 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Starting to get braver
« on: August 28, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »
I've been running around town with my new 1911 "cocked and locked".

Actually, there is an empty chamber, with the Wilson magazine loaded with eight rounds.

If the empty chamber doesn't blow my leg off within a few days, I'll go live.

My hat is off to all the brave souls who have been doing it.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Starting to get braver
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 04:18:16 PM »
Bill, you will be just fine.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »
Bill,

Please go with a round in the chamber right now.  You don't need to have to say to a bad guy, "give me a second while I cock this thing".  Yeah, I know that you are carrying with the hammer back even with an empty chamber to make the motion of chambering a round faster and easier but you get my drift.  Just don't forget to HIT THE SAFETY!

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 07:10:30 PM »
Bill:

Robert Boatman has said it better than I could do in his article, "COCKED AND LOCKED," in Concealed Carry Magazine:

[size=10]
Condition One.

Cocked and locked. Chamber loaded, hammer cocked, thumb safety on. This requires you to snick the safety down before firing and snick it back up when you're finished, a test of manual dexterity that can be learned by any creature equipped with opposing thumbs and probably by a few equipped with paws or hooves instead.

A 1911 in Condition One is comparable to a Glock, which is always in a semi-cocked condition when a round is in the chamber anyway, and the initial pull of the "small trigger" performs the same function as the thumb safety of a 1911. It's also comparable to any variety of double-action auto with the safety off, as the trigger pull cocks the hammer and fires the gun in one single motion, though the long and cumbersome double-action trigger pull is designed neither for control nor accuracy.

The greatest benefit of cocked-and-locked carry in a 1911, besides instant readiness, is the excellent trigger control it makes possible since the only job the trigger must perform is to simply drop the hammer. No other type of semiautomatic can provide the precise and consistent trigger pull of a 1911, a trigger pull as fine as can be achieved with the best revolvers, readily available to the shooter with the thumbing down of the safety lever.

Condition One is obviously the fastest way to get your 1911 into action, the least prone to mistakes, the most direct path to precise trigger control, and by far the safest way to carry and operate the gun. It is, therefore, the only way.

That John Browning intended the 1911 to be carried in Condition One is evidenced by the fact that a major feature of the gun is the thumb safety. There is no earthly use for the thumb safety - the part doesn't even function unless the hammer is cocked. It should also be noted that the up/safe, down/fire operation of the single-action 1911 thumb safety is natural, intuitive and proper.[/size]

The entire article can be found reprinted here by permission of Concealed Carry Magazine:

http://www.smartcarry.com/cocklock.htm

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 07:10:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 08:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone.

I'm still in the Kimber-mandated 400-500 round break-in period using 230 grain Full Metal Jacket.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to temporarily put FMJ in the chamber, and hope it wouldn't go through the bad person.

Mike, I was only trying to get used to the idea of the 1911 cocked and locked.  I'll have a round in there pretty darn quick.

I hope you guys are doing it, too.  I don't want to be the only person.  

Bill
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 08:19:00 PM by Michigunner »

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 09:06:56 PM »
Bill,

You will have no problems as long as this is going to be your carry gun and you do not swap out different guns on a regular basis.  This has to be your only carry gun so that hitting the safety is instinctive, every time.   Just remember when you draw to HIT THAT SAFETY or you could be in for a very bad encounter with a bad guy.

I still don't know how you guys manage to conceal carry an 1911.  I am 5' 10" ,  150lbs and even with my shirt untucked I feel very conspecuous with anything larger than say the R9S.  You guys may think you are incogneto but I bet many more people spot you than you think.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:56:10 PM »
Mike,

My secret is a brand new Milt Sparks 60TK.

The 1911 rides high at 3 o'clock.  I mean it is stealthy.

Moreover, it is pulled in flat and tight against the body.  Very comfortable.  I don't even know it's there.

Lightning Arms Sport had mine delivered in two days.

Bill

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
Bill,

If cocked and locked makes you nervous, talk to Matt Del Fatti about the holster he made for my 1911.  Instead of a sweat shield, it has a reinforced tab that fits under the thumb safety and holds it in the on safe position.  Also look into the Cylinder & Slide SFS system that Richard is using.

If you don't have an ambi safety, the sweat shield may totally prevent anything from wiping off the safety until the gun is drawn.

Mike,

Your size is not much different from mine (5' 8" tall, 175 lb., 34" waist, 42" chest).  I carry at 3:30 (belt buckle is 12:00).  In this position, a 15 degree cant will keep the end of the grip close to my side as I bend at the waist.  Any more angle, and it becomes difficult to grab the gun.  I use less angle (5 degrees) with more compact guns.  I also use belt loops that are spaced far apart so that the gun stays at this angle.

That, with a sturdy belt and well-chosen clothing, hides the gun pretty well.  My cell phone bulges far more than the gun.  Still, it isn't my first choice when I really need to be discreet.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 09:57:40 PM »
I forgot to mention that my untucked shirt is one size too large.  That puts my mind at ease.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone.

I'm still in the Kimber-mandated 400-500 round break-in period using 230 grain Full Metal Jacket.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to temporarily put FMJ in the chamber, and hope it wouldn't go through the bad person.

Mike, I was only trying to get used to the idea of the 1911 cocked and locked.  I'll have a round in there pretty darn quick.

I hope you guys are doing it, too.  I don't want to be the only person.  

Bill

Bill - don't worry about "cocked and locked" - you'll be fine.  My brother has carried a Kimber 4" Compact Stainless "cocked and locked" for awhile and really likes it and has put thousands of rounds through the gun.  He carrys it concealed most of the year.

My brother did accidentally shot himself but relax - it was with a Glock.

Below is my Kimber 4" Compact that I've posted before.  In truth I'm still a small gun carry guy - R9 and Seecamp.  The Kimber with the night sights (may put on a laser grip sight also) is my house protection gun.  Also with coyotes around I take it outside some times at night when the dog goes out.

The Kimber is very accurate and easy to shot.  I don't worry about the 500 round break in Kimber lists.  I feel it is ok to carry JHP in it after a few boxes of FMJ.  I may try carrying the Kimber more in cold weather  -  the R9 is a powerful gun though and has me spoiled.

Dave

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:29:08 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
Mountainman,

Geez, going out at night with the dog with Coyotes around and for a house defense gun, wouldn't something like a Mossberg 590 fit the bill a little better?  Don't get me wrong, carry the pistol too but a short shotgun is the best home and property defense arm and critter gitter!

My opinions only,  Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »
Mike - you're right about the shotgun being the best overall house gun -  outside though don't want to take the chance of hitting my own dog using a shotgun if he is trying to fight off the pack of coyotes we have howling some nights.  I figure a 1911 with laser sights should do the trick.

Haven't had an encounter with them yet and it may never happen.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:13:25 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Starting to get braverserration
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 11:12:36 PM »
Yeah, I may stop the FMJ break-in at 200 rounds.  It's getting to be too much.  It works perfectly now.

I may declare the JHP confirmation successful after shooting 15 Golden Sabers and 15 Hyra-Shok.

Premium factory rounds are so good, this should be OK if the gun doesn't burp early on.

I'll pull out the new Wilson Combat 8-round magazine and validate it with all the test rounds.

Dave, I don't like those serrations near the Kimber muzzle.  They are pretty tough on the holster.  Time for the file to come out.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:13:33 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 11:16:40 PM »
Bill,

I couldn't wait for Matt's holster.  He has other people in the queue.

I feel pretty safe with the 'cocked and locked' business.  I consider it much safer than the Glock I had.

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Starting to get braverserration
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 11:17:32 PM »
Dave, I don't like those serrations near the Kimber muzzle.  They are pretty tough on the holster.  Time for the file to come out.

Bill

Bill - what model Kimber do you have.  The CDP II of mine is as smooth as a baby's bum.