Author Topic: The Elephant in the Living Room  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
The Elephant in the Living Room
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:55:30 PM »
OK guys, I can't hold this in any longer.  I've been biting my tongue for many months now and I feel everyone has been totally ingnoring the "Elephant in the Living Room".

What I'm about to say will P O some  and cause some to puff up and roast me.   Go ahead and flame away.

When new members post range reports, many times they talk about light primer strikes (lps), dud, fail to fire (ftf).
Invaribly, a board member will blame the ammo, talk about hard primers, bad ammo, that brand is known for that, etc.

I'm here to say that is BS.  I know nothing is 100%, but factory ammo is as close as it gets.  I shoot between 4-5 thousand rounds of factory ammo per year(most common brands) and can only remember of one round that was bad, and that came from their generic "yellow box " line.   Now this was before I got my pup. Now all of a sudden, I get 2 lps per mag.  And some of you guys want to blame the ammo?

I also shoot action competition and go through over 10 thousand reloads a year.  Last year I had 3 ftf.  I traced it to the ammo.  One- a piece of cleaning media from the tumbler blocked the primer flash hole, thus the primer did not function properly.  The other two, similar situation, but bug parts got solidly smashed in the primer hole by the primer swager.
My point is on this is, even with reloads, which have a bad reputation with some people, is be very reliable when loaded by the right people.

Now you will say, but what about the obvious hits on the primer?  

I had the same thing with one of my race revolvers 3 years ago.  Good primer hits (dents), but no BANG!   I pulled the round apart and the components seemed all good.   I would take the gun to my smith and he said he ran 100 rounds through it and it was fine.  I go to a match, and bang, bang, click.

All I ended up doing was putting in a stronger hammer spring and that solved it.

Please read this part carefully:  for the primer to blow, it needs a sharp, hard, strike.
What was happening in my race revolver was it was hitting just hard enough to PUSH the primer dent in, NOT sharply STRIKE!    
And that is the key.
To prove my point, save those "duds".  Sometimes they will fire in another gun.  But it depends on how long the firing pin is, since it has to reach past the dent to strike further; or unless it is maxed out.  Like I said, "sometimes" they will fire in a different gun.

Now some board member told me when I first joined that, the lps would work itself out.  I much prefer that honest advice.   That makes sense.  Maybe the firing pin springs are a little too stiff and need to settle in.  I can accept that.  But don't insult my intelligence with kneejerk reaction like "bad ammo".
Come on guys , this board has a great reputation for good reliable, honest information.   Don't back off now.

The Elephant in the Living Room is a little  bitty four footer we all love.
And the food is not the problem.

Reinz

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: The Elephant in the Living Room
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »
Point taken! It seems to me the lite primer strike issue is recent and I don't remember it being a big problem early on. Maybe a closer exammination of firing pin length and spring strength is in order. I personally have not had the problem in either of my two R9's which are both early, blue grip, guns. :-/
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »
Could it be because of a lighter hammer spring in the newer models?  I've read earlier posts about heavier trigger pulls in the older models and how much better the new models trigger pull is.  It should be an easy fix if you've got that problem.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:19:10 PM by Hk-Itch »

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 01:32:21 AM »
....But getting back to Reinz' original post.  There are those who can look at things with objectivity and scrutiny, but because of our infatuation with this gun and it's ground breaking design, I think there could be the tendency to make excuses for any short comings or a tendency to overlook the obvious.  There are those whose guns have reached their full potential and those whose guns are close.  Mine was a simple fix.  I'm fully satisfied with my purchase.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 02:10:02 AM »

I remember that originally only Golden Sabers had problems with hard primers.

For two light primer hits per mag it would seem it would be the spring and/or firing pin length, set, and etc..

I remember way back someone taking out the firing pin and cleaning it and the problem went away.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline artec

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 02:05:55 PM »
Hey Reinz! Good job. I'm in your corner on this topic. I first commented on this on 3/8/07, reply #11, under the 'bad purchase" topic. Thankfully my gun has been working flawlessly when fed silver tips, and I agree that using ammo that works in the gun is only a "band- aid". I plan on sending mine back to Rohrbaugh to have it looked at along with some spent cases.  ... Steve