Author Topic: Is anyone still making the R9 "takedown" pins ?  (Read 696 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Is anyone still making the R9 "takedown" pins ?
« on: December 31, 2023, 09:29:15 PM »
Also called "locking pin" or "barrel pin"...

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Is anyone still making the R9 "takedown" pins ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 09:59:02 AM »
If they do make them, they need to be titanium….I’ve had two break over the years both in the same Covert, eventually destroyed by the 2nd episode which suggests the problem was with the gun, not the pin (note to all, the Covert version was bulk purchased from Rohrbaugh and then sent to Wilson Combat for black coating and “tuning”).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 06:19:28 PM »
Also called "locking pin" or "barrel pin"...

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one makes the barrel / take-down pins. 

The pins measure .156" x .620"
The actual blueprints called for .1558 (+.000" / -.003")
Yes, the measurements were that exacting for parts of the R9 pistol
Make them out of carbon steel instead of stainless and Rockwell them to 50 - 60 

Another thing I noticed while finally finding the time to read this thread is a whoops by backupr9
that we were Handgun of The Year for 2003. Actually, we were Handgun of The Year for 2005.
We were considered The Handgun of S.H.O.T. Show 2003. Otherwise all good! 
Thank you all for taking an interest in the pistol and preserving their information here on the forum.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:25:39 AM »
Eric, I would contradict your statement in that IMO the Rohrbaugh R9 was handgun of the year in 2003 and every year since, so there!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 08:32:35 PM »
Eric, do you think you could take a #22 drill bit and gently spin it down a few thousands, cut to length and use it??

Thinking about this one a backup project.
https://www.amazon.com/Drill-America-GLBCOX1222-Aircraft-Extension/dp/B00B2QYWMS/ref=sr_1_31?keywords=22%2Bdrill%2Bbit&qid=1704590956&sr=8-31&th=1

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 07:12:13 PM »
Eric, do you think you could take a #22 drill bit and gently spin it down a few thousands, cut to length and use it??

Thinking about this one a backup project.
https://www.amazon.com/Drill-America-GLBCOX1222-Aircraft-Extension/dp/B00B2QYWMS/ref=sr_1_31?keywords=22%2Bdrill%2Bbit&qid=1704590956&sr=8-31&th=1

Yes, Karl even mentioned that to me the other day, but I was keeping things easy. If you have the way and means to do that operation, by all means go for it! 
That should work just fine.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 07:13:56 PM »
Eric, I would contradict your statement in that IMO the Rohrbaugh R9 was handgun of the year in 2003 and every year since, so there!

Thank you backup. . . . . . . . I'll take that comment with honor. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 10:33:24 AM »

Yes, Karl even mentioned that to me the other day, but I was keeping things easy. If you have the way and means to do that operation, by all means go for it! 
That should work just fine.

ecr
[/quote]

By way and means I was thinking of just spinning it in a drill while I applied some emery cloth to knock it down by .0012.  A drill, a good set of calipers and a Dremel with a cut off wheel ought to make what you need....................I am thinking.

Off to Amazon....