Author Topic: Drawing practice  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Drawing practice
« on: June 04, 2005, 11:17:40 AM »
My obligatory Hedley holster and R9S are expected soon.

I just finished a search on pocket drawing, and would like to begin practice with good fundamentals.

Do you think the holster should always stay in the pocket following the draw?  Is that the only acceptable result for the practice session?

Is the practice still considered successful if the holster comes out, and you have to separate the holster and gun?

That seems like a fine opportunity to shoot your weak hand.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 11:18:39 AM by Michigunner »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Drawing practice
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 01:52:56 PM »
To work with a pocket holster to get familiar is wise indeed.  A Pocket holster of my making, has a very light retention.  This is necessary, as there is not much to make the holster 'Stay" in your pocket.  Each of the different models have something to work with to accomplish a successful draw.  The Standard and LE model have the top band thumb push off,  the  Back pocket has the anti-print panel that serves to mask the gun shape and anchor the holster when drawing, it forms a wedge in the pocket.  It truly works well.   But, as with many things, the user must do their part.    There is NO magic here.   :)

.........this tread needs moving I think
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 05:44:13 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 09:00:32 PM »
I have always considered it important that the holster stay behind. Should you need to draw it when it's real, you would want it fully capable of firing and cycling - something with which the holster may interfere. If you determine that your gun needs to be drawn - presumably you may need it in that very instant!

And, as always, you WILL act as you have practiced - every time. This has been shown many, many times. I have read reports about some police officers, some years ago, trained with revolvers and were taught to empty their spent brass into their hands and put them in their pockets to save from cleaning up after practice - and then in real shoot-outs officers were found to have pockets full of brass after the event. In some cases the delays incurred in collecting the brass led to injury and even death.

The point is - practice means something, do it right and when it counts you will be on 'auto-pilot' and do almost everything as you practiced. Most people in high-stress events report that they 'didn't even have time to think - "I just reacted".
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 09:15:17 PM »
A good post, good points.  Practice includes every asspect of the shot,  from the "DRAW" to the "rolling through" of the trigger.
RJ=

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 09:17:59 PM »
Excellent.  Thank you both.

I hope to make the R9S my "always" gun.  The others will be for having fun at the range.

IWB holsters are great, but sometimes it's a little awkward to keep the shirt untucked for concealment.

I'll always insist that the holster remain in the pocket during practice.

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 04:40:48 PM »
Wallet holsters are illegal in many states. A wallet holster looks like a wallet, which can fool an officer that asks for ID, but the gun can be fired through a hole in the wallet.  Just another reason to leave the holster in your pocket. (Note the Hedley holster covers the trigger so it cannot be pulled.)

An alternative to the very good Hedley holsters may be a DeSantis Nemesis holster which is available for the R9. (http://holster.com/n38.html)
"Never before has there been a material this viscous. It's so sticky it's almost like fly paper. This pocket holster will absolutely not move out of position in your pocket. The inside is made of slick pack cloth for a no friction draw. Ambidextrous design."

Re: FireBreather01
I second his reference about dead police officers being found with brass carefully saved in their pockets.  We all make mistakes.  It is unbearably ironic to train to die, instead of training to live.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 07:58:00 AM by gr8guns »

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:02:08 PM »
IWB holsters are great, but sometimes it's a little awkward to keep the shirt untucked for concealment.
I carry in the front pocket.  When I can, with an untucked shirt.  I found I can actually put my hands in both pockets with the shirt hanging down and no one is the wiser.  An untucked shirt does wonders for pocket carry too!  :D

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 03:52:18 AM »
I wonder if anyone thought about putting some velcro on their holster, and having another piece sewn onto the pockets so that the holster would be stuck to the pocket liner

Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 09:11:46 AM »
I would have to second the vote for the DeSantis Nemesis for total pocket retention. I have Hedley & K&D Leather holsters and the are great too!
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.