Author Topic: What is your opinion on lasers?  (Read 6546 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
What is your opinion on lasers?
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
I fail to see why one would put a laser on a belly gun with minimal or no sights.  By the time I looked for and my eyes have recognized the dot (especially in daylight) I would have been dead for 10 seconds.  Great for aimed or sniper fire perhaps, but many of my LEO friends recommend against the use of laser in a carry weapon.  Your thoughts?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: What is your opinion on lasers?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:10:05 AM »
Why would anyone want to clearly show the bad guys where you are?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
Cannot see the purpose of a laser on a CCW pistol personally. Its point and shoot twice and twice again if necessary. The basics of pointing and shooting need to be second nature and the use of a laser, to me, would diminish that practice.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:34:38 AM »
I'm not a fan of lasers on hand gun, from what I've seen people become to dependent on them and lose basic shooting skills. I do like them for AR style weapons for close quarter drills, zero the laser at 50 meters and the red dot at 100 meters. That's my take and experience on them.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
I have laser sights on my Colt 1991A1 and Winchester 1300 Marine Defender.  For reasons stated above, they probably aren't too useful.  However, I can envision a few situations in which it might be helpful to activate one, including intimidation under the right circumstances. That little red or green dot focused on a BG's face or torso (or genital area) could have an interesting effect.  8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:29:57 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
I have laser sights on my Colt 1991A1 and Winchester 1300 Marine Defender.  For reasons stated above, they probably aren't too useful.  However, I can envision a few situations in which it might be helpful to activate one, including intimidation under the right circumstances. That little red or green dot focused on a BG's face or torso (or genital area) could have an interesting effect.  8)

I do not like lasers on pistols either.  When I traded my Solo up to get the Solo CDP to get night sights, CT grips and checkered front and back strap, I planned on selling the grips.  I still have them thinking I might want them some day.

When "outfitting" my Keltec KSG, I was going to put a red dot on top and a light on the bottom.  A police friend of mine suggested I get a combination light/laser for the same reason Richard points out.  BG's are not scared by a light, but a laser will send them running he claimed.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
Intimidation factor in the dark, the sound of a 12 ga. cycling.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »

I like this, I never thought of putting a laser on a shotgun, I may need to do this.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »

Especially when there is a full pound of lead (buckshot) loaded up!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
I have an S&W M&P 340 revolver in .357 with night sights and Crimson trace.  I find when using the laser I must first find the dot and while concentrated on that target/dot concurrence I am no longer focused on what is going on around it (unlike looking over the front sight on target).  Lasers may be good for slow aimed fire but not for alert-point-shoot, at least in my hands.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
I have an S&W M&P 340 revolver in .357 with night sights and Crimson trace.  I find when using the laser I must first find the dot and while concentrated on that target/dot concurrence I am no longer focused on what is going on around it (unlike looking over the front sight on target).  Lasers may be good for slow aimed fire but not for alert-point-shoot, at least in my hands.

I have the same problem John.  I think we are so used to using sights that the laser seems strange. 

I think with practice it would get better, but I have never put in the time.

Offline MN Lefty

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
Once I shot my S&W 642 in a IDPA bug gun match.  I was disqualified for using laser grips, but I wanted to see the difference in my shooting.  It was a three stage match.  On one stage I didn't grip right and I shot with sights.  The end match results my total score was two seconds faster than the to next top shooter.  I'm usually in the bottom 1/3 of the pack.  I pulled the trigger as soon as a saw dot on center mass.  I have Crimson Trace lasers on 3 of my bug guns.  I just put batteries in two that had still working lasers after, we'll just say several years (12).

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
Lefty,
Anyone who can shoot a 642 well in competition is pretty darn good, however I would again suggest that target shooting is different in that awareness of surroundings other than the target may be impaired with laser sights.  It would be great to have data from a controlled study of close range combat tests.  Younger quicker eyes and reflexes weaned on lasers may be the answer.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
Quick pull and shoot from the hip or intimidation. Other than that I don't feel they are for me. I don't like the added complexity really. A little extra bulk, batteries, and something I have experience on 2 different sets of CT's now... They lose their accuracy after being fired and need readjusted. I don't prefer them under most circumstances.

That being said, I do like the laser/light combo on the rail of my G21 for home protection which I may also put on my KSG. I like it because if stalking my home it could be useful and takes up 0 more space than a light.

My US marshal buddy/trainer is vehemently opposed as he claims (as others have on this post) that they impede training with the dependence on something other than the front sight.

FINAL THOUGHT FOR CCW: kind of like switching from a 1911 to a Glock it would not be advantageous to go from sight shooting to laser shooting IMO. This could be a reality in the event of a damage to the laser, dead batteries, switch inadvertently off, picking up BG's gun or just using a different CCW from day to day. IMO IMO IMO
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Well stated Josh.  I guess we each stick to what we think works, right or wrong.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis