Author Topic: How can Californians get a Rohrbaugh R9  (Read 6556 times)

Offline RomeoAlpha

How can Californians get a Rohrbaugh R9
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:07:43 AM »
Hello,

I live in California and am dead set on getting a Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth but am getting conflicting information on how to do so legally. It's clear that I must acquire it via a private party transfer (PPT) in CA since we're not permitted to travel to the seller's state to compete the PPT.  What's unclear is whether the seller needs to be a California resident or just needs to physically come to California to complete the transaction at an FFL that faciliates PPTs.  Also, do I need to physically modify the gun to be California compliant?

Any help clarifying the process for CA residents and/or finding a Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth for sale close to California is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: How can Californians get a Rohrbaugh R9
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »
RomeoAlpha,
I can't answer your legal question.  I would suggest consideration of  relocation from Kalifornia to Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Virginia or other similarly reasonable states before your state outlaws steak knives and baseball bats "for the common good".  Welcome to the forum and good luck finding that R9.  Your first step might be to check the California rules as to whether the R9 is legal there now as I see no way it could be modified.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
RomeoAlpha,
I can't answer your legal question.  I would suggest consideration of  relocation from Kalifornia to Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Virginia or other similarly reasonable states before your state outlaws steak knives and baseball bats "for the common good".  Welcome to the forum and good luck finding that R9.  Your first step might be to check the California rules as to whether the R9 is legal there now as I see no way it could be modified.
John
great post.....made me giggle....

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!

I echo John's sentiments. Move - preferably to Tennessee, Texas, or Florida, in all of which states the Second Amendment is overwhelmingly revered.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »

I don't know for certain but I don't think the R9 is California compliant or approved. It is not on their list. Possibly contributing to this is no magazine disconnect safety and i don't think that Karl wanted anything to do with California by submitting one to them for testing. It did pass the drop test in states like NY, I believe, but at this point if it is not on CA's approved list there are no modifications possible to make it so. No doubt, some may exist in the left coast state but not with their approval. I may stand corrected if anyone knows otherwise.

Offline RomeoAlpha

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi, thanks for your responses.  The Rohrbaugh R9 isn't on California's list of approved firearms so a resident can only purchase it via a PPT. I  guess I'm hoping for input from someone in California who's very familiar with the laws because I get conflicting information from forums, local FFLs, etc.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
Fortunately, I live in Texas and am not familiar with CA law. However, this part of the law seems clear that a PPT must arrange for the delivery of the firearm to the dealer in person by both parties.

Generally, it is illegal for any person who is not a California licensed firearms dealer (private party) to sell or transfer a firearm to another non-licensed person (private party) unless the sale is completed through a licensed California firearms dealer . A “Private Party Transfer” (PPT) can be conducted at any licensed California firearms dealership that sells handguns . The buyer and seller must complete the required DROS document in person at the licensed firearms dealership and deliver the firearm to the dealer who will retain possession of the firearm during the mandatory 10-day waiting period . In addition to the applicable state fees, the firearms dealer may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting the PPT .
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:08:40 PM by tracker »

Offline RomeoAlpha

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
Thanks, I understand that the transfer must occur at a dealer in California. My questions are whether the seller in the PPT must be a California resident or can be a resident of another state who brings the Rohrbaugh to California for the PPT.  My other question is whether the Rohrbaugh must be physically altered.  I ask this second question because I read a posting on another forum that said "I had one [Rohrbaugh R9] for a few years and just sold it to a fellow in Ca. who has to have it altered to fit the Ca. spec's for a "mag fed" gun = LOL."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
I don't think that a CA dealer can legally sell a non-compliant gun like the R9 which would make moot the questions about transferring one through a dealer under the PPT transfer. The R9 could not be practically modified at this point to be compliant.

When the S&W Shield first went on sale it was compliant with a slide safety; then, at a later date they offered one without a safety to market it to those customers outside of CA who wanted no safety. The R9, with no safety, would appear to be non-compliant and not legally marketable in CA.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
I lived and practiced law in the District of Columbia when that jurisdiction began its creep toward outlawing gun ownership. At first it was just a registration law. "That's all we want," the DC City Council assured its citizens. Then came the inevitable escalation each year or so, finally resulting in a ban on ownership of firearms within the jurisdiction. Seeing the handwriting on the wall after the first two years, I gathered up my guns and moved to the Maryland countryside. Now, forty years later when I and my guns happily reside in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee, I watch with dismay as Maryland also increasingly becomes an anti-gun jurisdiction.  Of course, the US Supreme Court in the Heller case finally struck down DC's draconian gun law, but the DC City Council is doing is best to circumvent that decision.

So it goes.

I've lived and worked in Third World countries where the dictators or military juntas du jour found it their personal best interests to disarm their citizenry. Unless a  majority of our next generation can get their heads out of their Apple devices and stop relying on the few and the proud to protect their freedoms, I expect the "Nannys" among us to prevail and the Second Amendment to be repealed.  And California and its elected officials are leading the way, along with some from New York, New Jersey, and Illinois.

May God help our grandchildren.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:39:37 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
Amen, brother. The California gun laws are some of the most convoluted and complex in the lower 48. Each county has its own discretion and most of the state is under a "may carry" edict . All of this is done to confuse and discourage individual gun ownership. I am proud to say that with the recent election of Governor Greg Abbott the state of Texas legislature is considering unlicensed open carry. The best thing about that possibility is that law abiding citizens will have the same right as thugs on the street.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:55:07 PM by tracker »

Offline mbscdh

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
Tracker, what part of Texas are you in?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »

I live in Houston but travel to Dallas and McKinney on occasion.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 07:11:13 PM »

I live in Houston but travel to Dallas and McKinney on occasion.
i live in houston also....

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
Grab a life jacket....Open up the San Andreas fault and see how long the libs can tread water. 
At that point, I don't think they'll care much an R9 coming into the state.
 ;D

Welcome!