Author Topic: On The Road...  (Read 2142 times)

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
On The Road...
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
We started planning this adventure early last summer.  We've gotten rid of our house, and virtually everything in it.  We purchased a 5th Wheel RV trailer and truck and are now doing the full time RV travels.

We have a large, nearly 40', trailer, which has two bedrooms.  We converted one of the bedrooms into a "shop" and are able to do nearly everything we could previously.  However, we've streamlined some of those items.  The trailer is a 2011 Keystone Copper Canyon model.  It's relatively easy to pull with our truck ('91 Ford F250 w/460 engine).

We spent the last 2 1/2 weeks in North Carolina visiting with my wife's family.  We also ran up into Virginia and saw some of my family.

Yesterday we traveled over to eastern Tennessee.  Today we got to have lunch with Richard S and his wife, Joyce (Her Honor).  It was a great opportunity to visit with both of them.  Richard and I showed off our R9's to each other.  The ivory grips on his are just exceptional.  This afternoon my wife and I traveled down to the Pigeon Forge area.  The countryside was a joy to see (after being in the flat terrain of FL for the last 20 years).  

Tomorrow we head over to Kentucky to Mammoth Cave National Park (or just outside of it).  We'll be parked there for the summer, working part time at one of the campgrounds.  In exchange, we get a full hook up campsite for the trailer.  On our off days, we'll have the opportunity to visit/see the surrounding countryside, as well as travel to nearby campgrounds.

We envision being able to do this for the next 10-15 years - traveling around the country to see different things and meet all the different people.  I can't think of a better thing to do.  ;D
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: On The Road...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
Kevin:

Joyce and I were delighted to meet you and your lovely wife, and we thoroughly enoyed our altogether too brief luncheon with the two of you. We both wish you all happiness and success as you "pursue your dreams."

And may I state for the record that the acoustic guitar you handcrafted is a total work of art. The lacewood and ivory inlays and accents are breathtaking -- and having it autographed personally by Aaron Tippin, who can only be described as a true force of nature in country music, is a real coup!

Keep us updated on your travels, and permit me close with one of the toasts passed down to me by my Irish grandmother:

[size=10]"May the road rise up to meet the two of you;
May the wind be always at your backs;
May the sun shine warm upon your faces;
May the rain fall softly upon your roof;
And until we meet again,
May God hold you both in the hollow of His hand."[/size]

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:32:47 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
Awesome K-man!

Good Luck and be safe in your travels.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:25:08 PM »
K-Man.  You're living the dream.  Congrats to you and your wife.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
You left out mention of a lot of time and planning to get your show on the road...glad its finally moving!   ;)

You really need to blog somewhere about your travels and experiences.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com