Author Topic: Want a new holster  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
Want a new holster
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »
I have used a Hedley pocket holster for a number of years now.  It is well made but I wish I had purchased the version that has a ridge of leather extending from the top side of the gun so it will hook on my pocket as I draw.  

I am close to ordering a new Hedley holster but there is one feature that most pocket holster have that I am curious about.  Why do most pocket holsters, including the Hedley, have the muzzle end open?  It seems that closing the end would help minimize lint and dirt entering the muzzle.

One solution is a small piece of tape on the end of the barrel but why not just close the leather off at the muzzle?

What are your favorite pocket holsters?

Craig T.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Want a new holster
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Howdy Craigt

Maybe a holster maker will get on and state the purpose of the open bottom of the holster.   My understanding has been the opposite of your thinking - to actulally keep dirt, lint, water, and oils out.
By being open, these debris are not "trapped", and do not accumulate.  And in some instances believe it or not, some guys do no maintenance whatsoever, which can lead to a "wad" of crud lodged in the barrel.

Some of my favorite pocket holsters are Meco stitched only, no rivets, Graham,  Ahern Pocket Natural , and a few  I can not remember.

The reason I do not like rivets is two fold.  One, if it pops, then you gotta get it repaired.
Two , I am a purist, and Love leather and fine craftsmanship.  In my opinion, the leathermaker just took a short cut, the easy way out by using rivets, and they just look plain cheap!

In my opinion, it looks like the beginner uses rivets, the craftsman stitches.

Just my opinion.

Bueno Suerte
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »
Don't worry about that open bottom of the holster.
I imagine in order to close that hole the holster would become longer.The maker would have to taper the leather, then there is adding leather an attaching it to the holster, can all this be done? Of course it can, I really don't miss having the bottom closed.Keep your pockets clean and wipe the pocket gun down, and clean it a little more often.

I have an RJ Hedley for my Seecamp and R-Nine, I also have pocket holsters made by MECO, Matt DeFatti, Ron Graham, Milt Spark, Uncle Mikes and Aker.

We like to keep the Hedley name going with Lisa K and I believe she'd be able to accommodate you with the wing on the top to keep the holster in your pocket, I'm thinking it too difficult to block the bottom hole.

Good luck, and let us all know what your choice was.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
I read on one holster makers site that forming the leather to close the opening will raise the holster up in the pocket and they want to keep it as low as possible. ???
  I agree with Reinz on the rivets although most makers charge more for just sewn it makes a much better looking holster.
  Also I have seen the rivets on a holster rust.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Yep!  I agree on the open end; let that lint and etc. have a way out; like full stitching, too.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
I am not a holster-maker anymore...  ;)

The open bottom is easier to make, and does allow the holster to sit lower in the pocket.  Its also more "traditional" to the design of belt holsters.

I have both types, but most are open muzzle designs.  The lint accumulation is not a big deal, but pocket guns do need to be regularly inspected and at least "dusted" with a check for bore obstructions.

please don't put any tae on the barrel -- that would seem to be asking for trouble.

Although there can be places for rivets and chicago screws and the like, a holster that is glued, sewn and bunished on the edges looks much better and takes more equipment and more work.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
I have a Milt Sparks pocket holster for my R9. It has a closed bottom. It is easily cleaned out with a Q-tip. I ordered a second just to have and waited 8 months. It was well worth the wait.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Milt Sparks is as good as it gets. I have a shark one for my R9. It has a wire inside so you can shape it to your leg. Also have the pocket mag holder. I think it is to large. I have one of their ISWB holsters and use it a lot.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

Never thought that open lets the lint out!

Tape on the muzzle is something I have never tried and do not like the concept but have heard it works and some folks use it.

Del Fatti pocket holster looks good, very agressive wing for grabbing pocket but it looks like he is working on 2 year old orders.

Graham pocket holsters have a smooth rounded wing, does not look like it would grab the pocket very well.

Hedley works for me but never thought about rivets vs. stitching.

Meco Double-Wing looks good.

The search is on...

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
I just ordered a Meco double wing and batman. They should be here in 8 weeks.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
I also meant to say -- don't get too caught up on catching the holster on the pocket on the way out.

A properly fit pocket holster does not need a lot of retention.  Its easy to push the holster off with the ring finger, if necessary, as the gun comes up.  Its more efficient than rotating and dragging the gun back across the pocket edge.

If you really need assistance keeping the holster in the pocket, something like a Desantis Nemisis or the equivalent will work well -- although it won't be too pretty.

Obstructing the muzzle with anything (like tape) seems like an incredibly bad idea to me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:47:10 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »
"Graham pocket holsters have a smooth rounded wing, does not look like it would grab the pocket very well".

I carry in one of the two Grahams I have all the time and love both of them, they have a finger push off, grab the grip, trigger finger pushes the holster down and as gun comes up the trigger finger ends up in perfect position along the trigger guard.
Unfortunately Ron Graham is not making or selling holsters anymore.
 I had the "Batman" it was a nice holster but a little too large for my pocket.

John
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:30:46 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
My Milt Sparks closed bottom pocket holster raised my R9 up about 1"

I recently purchased a Graham open bottom pocket holster (thank you Yankee 2500). This allows for a more comfortable carry in pants with shallower pockets.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »
We do pocket holsters two ways - meaning on some we rivet and stitch; on others it's all stitching.   We've never had a rivet "pop".  A properly "set" rivet will require a drill to get it out.  The reason we use rivets on our 2n1 holster is because the sewing machine cannot get into the area surrounding the profile of the gun due to the location of the snaps on the backside of the holster.  We stitch around the surrounding edge of the holster though.  I don't consider the use of rivets to devalue the holster.  If they didn't work, I wouldn't use them - period.  We stitch wherever we can, and we don't charge extra for it.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
This gives me the opportunity once again to endorse Kevin's work. It is superb! To wit:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"