Author Topic: R9 Covert is back in action!  (Read 6648 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
R9 Covert is back in action!
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:58:29 PM »
In several previous posts my poor ol’ Covert got real sick.  First a broken slide retention pin allowed the pieces to bang up the rails...had to bang the back of the slide with a rubber hammer to break it free (Eric’s advice: “Hit it with a hammer’, my kind of mechanic!).  After smoothing everything out several times, I fired it a couple of times, then suddenly the trigger just flopped around (previous post).  Eric again rode to the rescue for a broken hammer bar...replaced.  Unfortunately, when I had the pistol completely apart, I mixed up the hammer pin (shorter) with the trigger pin (longer).  In consequence, the right grip did not sit as tightly at the rear, and did not keep the trigger bar on the hammer....fiddled around ‘till I figured that one our (thought about the rubber hammer trick, but could not where to hit it).   After that it worked fine with snap caps, but the first shot at the ranged resulted, again, with a loose trigger, corrected by turning the pistol on one side...trigger bar still slipping off the hammer.  Tightened the trigger bar spring with needle nose pliers.  Went to the range again today, EUREKA!  40 rounds down range with one failur to eject/feed (limp wrist for sure).  THANK YOU ERIC FOR YOUR PATIENT ASSISTANCE.  I do hope you are feeling better.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: R9 Covert is back in action!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
Well done, John. In aviation we called the fine art of hammer maintenance: Malletizing.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
Yes John, after almost 5 weeks, my chest has seemed to clear itself of a nasty bout of bronchitis. Thank you for your "behind the scenes diagnosis", most informative good Sir!
I'm glad to see your ole' gal is kicking once again also. If you have any other issues along the way, please feel free to contact me.

Best to you John.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »
Eric, I must say that having the pistol (almost) completely apart was an education...what a simple genius design!  The only thing I could not do was get the broken hammer bar off of the hammer.  I had a pin driver but just could not move the pin...the extra hammer and bar were much needed.  Is there a trick other than a stronger hammer?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »
Eric, I must say that having the pistol (almost) completely apart was an education...what a simple genius design!  The only thing I could not do was get the broken hammer bar off of the hammer.  I had a pin driver but just could not move the pin...the extra hammer and bar were much needed.  Is there a trick other than a stronger hammer?

Hey John,

If you take a look at the hammer / strut assembly, you will notice that the machined hole that the hammer strut pin goes in to has two sizes. We installed the strut pin from the right hand side of the hammer. When we manufactured the hammer, one of the program parameters was to drill from the right hand side and stop short of going all the way through the left hand side of the hammer. That gave us a smaller hole on the left side allowing us to install the hammer strut pin from the right hand side in a jig holding the assembly together while we taped the pin through to the other side. Being the left side was not drilled all of the way through, it acts as a stop so the pin actually is pressed into place not allowing it to come apart. If you take a flat punch that is thin enough to fit into the hole on the left hand side of the hammer while it is in a vise, you can tap the pin out, replace the strut and then put the pin back in place from the right side. It’s that simple.

Hope this little explanation helps everybody out there. I’m sure it will come in handy one day when I’m no longer around, although, I’m sure you would have figured that out anyway once you gave it a more thorough look.

Regards,

Eric R.

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
That hammer strut pin had my dad and myself cussing 🤬

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:03 PM »
Ps we modified a punch to make it possible. lol

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
I actually tried to remove it from left to right, but either the pin punch was marginally too large, or I was afraid to take a good whack at it.  Will try again later.  Thanks all!  I am so glad to get the Pup back in my pocket.  I really enjoy the P365 and will carry it, but IMO there is still absolutely nothing like an R9 for comfort, fit, size and power.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »
John. . . . . . Just hit the dammed thing will ya!? . . . . lol. . . . . That pin will come out. . . . . just remember:  From left to right.

If you look at the hammer assy, you can see the hole on the left is smaller than on the right.

If it doesn't come out, yes, a bigger hammer should work. It always worked at the shop.  lol

Eric R.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
$#&!...Went to the range yesterday...first shot from the Covert at 7 yards in the X, but no second shot...dang trigger just moving around freely.  Took the grip off when I got home and the trigger bar and spring were in proper position and the trigger was again engaging the hammer...bent the spring a bit more, dry fire with a snap cap X 50 without problem.  Back to the range today with proper tools for field maintenance if necessary. 

Will also take the spare R9 and a Kimber Ultra CDPII.  The Sig P365 is now my EDC (until the R9 is rehabilitated) and has 450 flawless rounds through it.  I do like that Sig!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis