Author Topic: A Grip ..."first hand" impressions 😏😏😏  (Read 3373 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
A Grip ..."first hand" impressions 😏😏😏
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
okay this is supposedly some kind of space age material to go on your gun grips etc. It seems more effective than skateboard tape and according to the inventor (Brook at Brooks tactical (253) 549-2866 BEWARE OF BROOK- he's long winded and kooky) it is better gripping after it gets wet and wears quite durably. Time will tell for me but my first impression is that this stuff is awesome.

I put it on my R9 and it really helped me get a better purchase on the pistol especially with the moe grip extension. I think I may put some up at the hammer area as this is now the only place that beats me up when shooting the powerful, little R9.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:28:26 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: "A Grip"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
I have bought and installed several sets of "Talon Grips" on other guns as noted in some previous posts. It would be interesting to compare the two. Talon Grips are very thin do not add any more real estate to the grips.

http://talongungrips.com
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:06:02 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
I also like the talon and have them on an xds and my G27 and wouldn't want to replace them neccesarily, but think this makes a good replacement for the skateboard tape. Love the talons!

I'll see if I can get a full grip wrap set for a Glock to compare though.

Do you use rubber or grit tracker? I only have the rubber.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »

I only have the rubber. Their rep talked me out of the more aggressive version. I am happy with them but as with skate tape I have found that I can soften them with a few brushes of sandpaper.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: A Grip ..."first hand" impressions 😁😁😁
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:02 PM »
Ok this is (so far) the best pistol grip I have ever put in my hand.

FYI: the pics are comparing a set of Talons grips on the left and the A Grip on the right.

I really like the 3 guns I have Talons on, but this is a whole new level of grip!

So I was on Brownells the other day and saw that they had A Grips for a Glock 19. I thought after Tracker asked the question about how they compare to Talon I would try em out on a full grip set (really liked what I put on my R9)

I will say they don't look super tactical. They look unique and different, but I kinda like the look. Kinda like a nicer stipple job.

They are a pain to install compared to Talon. Probably took me 30-40 minutes honestly.

At this point I am not sure how they hold up. I will put some on one of my concealed carry options that doesn't have Talons and give it a try.

Now for what I experienced that is remarkable...

This is like a luxury grip. I mean they grip on every square mm of your hand. It's like 100% traction. I have not yet test fired it, but I can't wait to. This Glock 19 instantly feels better than any pistol grip I've ever palmed. I'm not the biggest fan of the G19 2X4 grip normally. Not that it's terrible, but no one is going to call them ergonomic.

Well I can't wait to see if it endures.

Oh, one weird thing is that they have you cover your magazine release. I must say though there was no problem finding it or pressing it. Worked like a champ.

Worth $30-$35 to me to try. I will keep you posted.

For what it's worth Nut-n-fancy likes them and that's where I saw them.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:48:05 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Well I have an update on the longevity of the Agrip. Not the best.

The pistols that have this on them that are carried in the pocket or IWB have started to come off in places. The heat of the body makes the glue break down. And I haven't even used them through summer yet.

So there you go, it seems like Tracker has an impeccable knack for being right. He was the one who asked how they hold up probably thinking ahead of the curve as usual.

Well I'm disappointed to say that the talons are definitely considerably better in their adhesive qualities. I really do like the talons quite well, but thought I found something a bit better. Not quite.

I like this option, but only for a bedside gun. Not CCW IMO.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:11:32 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Josh; your opinion is always valued and appreciated.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
Well done Josh!  Saved me a few bucks.  I haven't been around much recently...packing up the house we've been in for 37 years for a move to Florida; had no idea how much junk accumulated in the attics and closets.  The Salvation Army is on a winning streak in my town right now for sure!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis