Author Topic: Late to the party?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline johnhasalongmustache

Late to the party?
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
I just picked up my first Rohrbaugh Monday. I function tested 18rds today with some cheap WWB 115gr and it ran flawlessly. I know 124gr GDHP is the most recommended, but does anyone else run cheap target ammo through their R9? If so what do you prefer?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Late to the party?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »

No cheap ammo here but if I did it would probably be Speer Lawman which has similar characteristics and dimensions to Gold Dot.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
I think that running cheap ammo thru a R9 is like running Walmart oil thru a new 911 Porsche...you don't do it. JMO.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 06:29:05 PM »
I ran 100 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr FMJ with zero problems except for a sore hand. 

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
The only place I would shoot Remington UMC would be in a Glock at the range. This would follow an expenditure of Hornady Critical Defense.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:59:31 PM by tracker »

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:30:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum, and congrats for your acquisition.
I agree that you should let it practice with what it will preach.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »

No cheap ammo here but if I did it would probably be Speer Lawman which has similar characteristics and dimensions to Gold Dot.

I personally agree with Tracker. Lawman can be purchased at a fair price and runs great in my R9. As he has stated it is designed to be a range ammo that mimics the characteristics of Gold Dot.

All of that being said I have been advised to simply shoot what I carry. Though I don't do this every time I am inclined to and try to do this most every time. Once your gun has been proven to be reliable then I would pass along the info that was given to me. Just shoot what you carry and keep that to a minimum.

In other words just every so often fire off the mag and spare mag you have been carrying and clean it and repocket it. This is an in close gun that you probably won't have to shoot like you are 007 (or at least we hope not) if called upon to do so in a defensive situation. That being the case extensive range time is not recomended or necessary.

Best of luck with your R9. My favorite pocket 9.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:16:03 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline johnhasalongmustache

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »
Great! I'll try some lawman. I'll also pick up some gold dot while I'm at it. Thanks for the info.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
I think 115gr. Blazer Brass should be fine, but I usually use WWB 115gr. for target ammo in mine and carry with 124gr. standard pressure Gold Dots. I even carried WWB in mine for awhile about ten years ago when I was kinda broke!  ;D