Author Topic: Seecamps??  (Read 29851 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Seecamps??
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »
I am new here, but not new to a pocket-carry viewpoint. That's why-some years ago-before Kel-Tec .32's- I acquired a Seecamp .32, which as I mentioned in another thread, that I have never carried nor shot because of real questions concerning the .32 caliber. At the time, Seecamp was high on people's list for pocket guns.

It appears from reading the various threads here that Seecamp has been eclipsed. I don't even know if their .380 made it into production. Has the world passed them by? Are they still in business?

Not long ago, my local gunshop advised against kel-Tec's, which they sold, in favor of the Guardian-speaking of 380's. It was a matter of quality/reliability. At the time, I remember thinking that the Seecamp had to run circles around the Guardian in quality, much less the cheap-looking Kel-Tec.

The world sure seems to have changed since just a couple of years ago. Isn't it wonderful to have such innovation and advancement during this age of anti-gun sentiment?
Welcome home

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: Seecamps??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:34:44 PM »
Seecamp is still in business.  The .32 has fallen LOW in price to what it was.  The .380 is reportedly being produced in very low quantities, with a long waiting period.  

I have shot the Seecamp; my shooting budy has one and has a .380 on order.  The Keltec .380 is a FINE firearm in my opinion, although I did send one of the five my son and I bought back for fixin'.  I also love my Keltec 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig.  In fact I find them quite fine pistols, suitably accurate and in all ways a more than fair value.  

I LOVE my Rohrbaugh.  It is smaller and sometimes more accurate for me than my Keltec 9mms, althought it holds far less ammo.

I really like a fine Chronograph watch; I wear a $20 Timex, which is a fabulous value, accurate, and has the features I LOVE.  The Rohrbaugh, like a fine Chronograph, is a masterful piece of machinery and a tribute to the finest of what can be made at this point - and it works well at what it does!!!!!!!!  ;D  And, I will keep ALL of my Keltecs too.
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:55:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply. What kind of reviews has the Seecamp .380 received? I gather that it doesn't meet with this groups approval? Does the Kel-Tec .380 run circles around it and the Guardian?

How does this group feel about the .380 caliber vs 9mm?

It seems that this group (at least for this forum) is first and foremost focused on real "pocket" pistols. Pocketability has come first, caliber second?

So, does having this Rohrbaugh in 9mm (presuming that the 9mm is superior-I'm not up to date) mean that the .380's will all be retired?

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get up to speed with current thinking.

Welcome home

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 06:29:09 PM »
rWt:

Welcome to the Forum.

I recently gave my Seecamp .32 to my wife, who finally agreed to carry something larger than her NAA MiniMag.  Meanwhile, I have been on the waiting list for a Seecamp .380 for at least two years.  I also have two NAA Guardians, .32 and .380, the latter being the one I have carried the most for the past few years.  About two months ago, I acquired my R9s.  You see, I am an unapologetic member of what has been described elsewhere on the Forum as the "Cult of Pocket Carry."    

While some of the hotter .32 rounds post numbers almost as good as those of standard .380 rounds, there is a significant difference between the numbers of those two calibers and the numbers of the 9mm.  When I first read about the Rohrbaugh 9mm, my instinct told me that it was going to be one of the finest pocket pistols ever made.  I immediately ordered one, and now after a couple of months of owning, shooting, and carrying the R9s, I am here to report that my instinct was absolutely correct in this case.  The Rohrbaugh is absolutely the finest pocket pistol I have ever owned or ever expect to own.

Don't get me wrong.  I intend to keep my other "pocket rockets," especially my treasured G-380, and I intend to shell out the going price for the Seecamp .380 when the factory finally gets to my number in line.  It's just that the others will be spending most of their time in my gun safe, while the R9s will be riding along in my pocket.    

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 07:57:20 PM »
Thank you Richard_S.

Hopefully I will be able to see an Rohrbaugh in the flesh soon.

Out of curiosity, is the R(S your primary carry gun? If not, what do you prefer in that role?

Thanks again.
Welcome home

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 09:08:57 PM »
rWt:

When possible, I carry my customized Colt 1911-type .45 in an IWB holster.  However, my lifestyle usually prevents that type of carry, so I must rely on a pocket gun.  Enter the Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm . . . .

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 09:29:11 AM »
I have a customized .45 as well. I haven't found an IWB I like yet. Can you recommend one?

Have you shot a Para Ord LDA model? I am curious to know what that trigger is like.

Thanks
Welcome home

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 03:35:23 PM »
rWt:

For excellent IWB holsters, check out the web sites for Ron Graham, Mitch Rosen, and Law Concealment Systems.  (R. J. Hedley makes only pocket holsters.)

I have not shot any of the Para LDAs, but I hear good things about them.  As I recall, R. J. has experience with the LDA design.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 06:58:58 PM »
Thank you!!
Welcome home

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
IWB holsters
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 10:09:55 PM »
rwt,

I have used Blade-Tech IWB holsters and am very happy with them.

I find that reinforced leather is too thick, but the rigidity is necessary for a good combination of speed and retention.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 02:07:18 AM »
I own 3 Seecamp pistols: 1 25 ACP, and 2 32ACP. I have also seen the Seecamp 380. The one I saw is owned and carried by Mickey Yurco, a full time Ohio police officer and custom knife maker (I own 9 of his knives). (I adore his push dagger--actually a push knife--which I think is the finest knife of its kind ever produced.) (I carry a Yurco knife daily.)

Seecamp currently makes only 12 380's a week. Mickey was on the list for 3 years before he got his, and he owns 5 Seecamps, I think. He is a true blue Seecamp fan.

I intend to buy a Seecamp 380.

I carry a NAA Guardian 380.

I also carry a NAA Guardian 32.

You can never go wrong with a firearm made by NAA, Seecamp, or Rohrbaugh.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 05:09:14 AM »
...and I agree !      

Mark that down, GeorgeH
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 08:42:26 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 11:56:22 AM »
It's a miracle....

And who says there can't be peace in the Middle East...

Offline saltydog452

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 05:24:06 AM »
My problem with the Seecamp was the reciil spring.  It soon became battered and I was unable to get a replacement .

The gun was heavily endorsed by the likes of Mickey Fowler, Mas Ayoob, and others.  Some of the more prolific gun writers even were able to get custon serial numbers on their guns.

My experience with the Seecamp family wasn't nearly as positive.  They wouldn't answer their phone with anything other than a recording.  They would not answer their mail even when provided with a stamped return envelope.  Bear in mind this was in the pre-internet days when they could sell 100% of their production and there was no competition from folks like Sandy @naa.

Extra mags were damned difficult to find.

I still feel guilty for trading off my Seecamp 32.  Not because I liked it, but because the guy I traded it to was really a fairly nice person and I didn't want him to be saddled with a personal protedtion pistol that was considerably less than reliable.

Maybe Seecamp has responded to increased competition now and their approach to customer relations has changed.  I hope so.

saltydog452

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 03:31:01 PM »
I have had nothing but praise for my LWS .32

Having carried it now for a number of years without a problem..

I would have preferred a larger caliber,but it is a GREAT bug..

When I receive my R9s,I hope to have a little more "bang" in my bug.. ;)

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe