Author Topic: Colt Pocket Nine  (Read 27168 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Colt Pocket Nine
« on: July 29, 2004, 11:18:57 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this gun? How does it compare?
Welcome home

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Colt Pocket Nine
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 12:45:32 PM »
 Hello r W t  I like the W too.!  
Colt Pocket Nine,  A heavy pistol with a heavy trigger,  also commands a heavy price now- a- days. The pistol ended production because of a law suit from Kahr, over a patent infringement of the offset barrel lug.
RJ=

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 01:11:50 PM »
Hi rWt, and welcome. As RJ said, the pocket nine was heavier than the Rohrbaugh and it had wrap-around rubber grips that I didn't particularly like the feel of.

Similarities; double action only, and it came with two 6 round mags, alloy frame.

Since they have been discontinued, prices for a used pocket nine in good shape can be more than a Rohrbaugh and a half!   ;D   Having shot both, I prefer the Rohrbaugh. It has a much smoother trigger, is lighter to carry, and easier to shoot well.  Somehow, Colt has never seemed to really "get" 9 millimeter pistols.

Offline saltydog452

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 04:54:45 AM »
I've had two Colt P-9s.  One I still have.  It was reworked by an outfit called SMA (Scott McDougal & Assoc).  One of the partners of SMA moved to Oregon.  Their website may still be available.  I may be able to get more information by looking through a stack of older gun magazines.  Maybe you could access Am Handgunner Magazine and their archives re the Colt Pocket 9.

My thoughts on the Colt product are positive enough that I still have one. My 2nd one was bought used over the Internet at a scalpers price.  It works with Rem 124 gr ammo.  I wouldnt recommend +P ammo.  Colt only made an extra 150 mags for the P-9.  Extra mags were as difficult to obtain as the gun itself.  The gun came with a large (for a CCW) rubber  grip.  It was comfortable to shoot, but the  rubber grips caught on clothing and is most definitely something that I do NOT want on a CCW gun.  SM&A also offered extra mags for the Colt P-9.  I don't know if they are still in business or not.  The P-9 recieved most of its momentum from Mas Ayoob.  Ayoob liked his and gave the Colt's product a healthy endorsement.   As with lot of things that are in short supply, demand increased.

Despite the fact that Colt has not marketed an original idea in the handgun market since the aluminum frame Commander, I plan to keep my P-9.   Mostly because I have extra mags (finally) that work, sharkskin hip pocket holster, skinny wooden grips on the gun, and an Alessi ankle holster.

However having said that, if you really, really wanna be the new owner of my P-9 ,I can be persuaded with the gun and all of the above mentioned accessories.

saltydog452

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 01:49:50 PM »
Hi Salty,

Happy to see that you made it.

Frank

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 04:20:39 PM »
I liked everything about the P9 except that most of them were unreliable which is why Scott McDougal & Assoc did so well modifying them. If Colt ever comes out with it again and gets the bugs out of it the way Scott McDougal & Assoc did, I'd buy a couple of them in a heartbeat.

Colt, are you listening out there?

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 05:23:09 PM »
Nice little gun, well made.

I had 2, one was a pure factory piece and funtioned perfect, sold it to my buddy that collects colts with the promis that if he ever decided to sell it he would offer it back to me.

My second was a SMA custom, very nice it never really left my safe though as I pocket carried a Kahr PM9 at the time.

Parts were difficult to come by and that was also a concern of mine, But I was talking to a colt Gunsmith about a year ago about a different issue and asked about the pocket nine and he told my Colt now had EVERY pocket nine part available for rerpair. ....  

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocket Nine
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 02:16:34 AM »
>>Anyone have pics of their factory and custom Colt Pocket Nines...?...TW<<

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 03:44:30 PM »
There is a gunsmith in South Florida calledc Show-gun who does some very fine work on Pocket Nines and Colt Pony;s he can be reachedc at 954-647-2926 hope this helps, I own his guns and he makes Scott McDougal look like childs work.Danny
GeminiDan

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »
[size=18]Hey Eric ... Can you make an R9 the size of a P9 (not as a REPLACEMENT but as an ADDITION -- sort of like it's big brother)? Either so that it can hold an extra round or two, or so that it can handle +P ammo; or both.[/size]

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 01:53:45 AM »
Not a flame here, I've seen your other comments and have come to appreciate them, but - doesn't that defeat the purpose and uniqueness of the R9? There are plenty of larger handguns that do EXACTLY what you just asked for!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 01:55:24 AM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 06:58:57 AM »
" ... Not a flame ... "

No offense taken :)

" ... I've seen your other comments and have come to appreciate them ... "

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

" ... There are plenty of larger handguns that do EXACTLY what you just asked for ... "

Uh, no. The Colt P9 was about the same size as the Kahr Micro line BUT it had a repeat striker capability (like the R9) which the Karhs do not have and it had a concealed but external hammer (exactly like the R9) which, again, the Kahrs do not have.

There is no other 9mm gun like this (single stack, repeat striker capability, concealed but external hammer, size of a PPK, etc.) currently in production that I am aware of and it doesn't look like Colt is going to start making the P9 again any time soon.

Don't get me wrong. I love my R9S. It's the gun that I carry when I'm "not carrying". Prior to getting it, I use to carry the NAA Guardian in .32ACP under those circumstances -- now it's the R9S! I'm glad that it is around and I'm glad that I was able to buy one.

I'm not saying anything be done to or altered with the R9 line because it IS the smallest & lightest production 9mm in the world and I wouldn't trade mine for anything, but ... just like Kahr recently came out with their new 'T' line which is a bigger size gun. I would eventually like to see Rohrbaugh come out with a bigger brother to the R9 line (something the size of the Colt P9 would be nice) which is either beefed up to handle +P ammo or holds an extra round or two; or both.

Offline Jeff_OTMG

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 10:50:09 PM »
You will not see the Pocket 9 reintroduced, nor the Pony.  Both those guns used the offset barrel lug patented by Kahr that caused the lawsuit against Colt for patent infringement.  Best to hope for is the Mustang, but with the politically correct stance Colt has taken I wouldn't hold my breath.

Offline SammColt45

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
I have owned a Colt Pocket Nine for several years now.  I bought it NIB at an estate auction.  I have shot it quite a lot, and have put several hundred  115 gr. +P+ rounds through it with no problems whatsoever.  It is also what I carry in it.  I can see no reason to avoid using +P or even +P+ in this gun for your carry ammo.  Run fifty to 100 rounds through it to see how it functions and to find the POA/POI relationship, and carry the most potent ammo you are comfortable with.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »
You are correct, they are +p+ rated but I prefer to shoot standard pressure rounds for practice and carry +p. Also, with the correct ammo, they will function flawlessly since they can be picky eaters. Here's my foursome ...