Author Topic: Colt Pocket Nine  (Read 27175 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
soon Colt Pocket Nine
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »
>>I purchased a couple of P9s a couple years ago, largely motivated by what I learned about them right here...!  And like Salty Dog, I got one NIB, and one that had the full work over by Scott/McDougall.

As someone else mentioned - my NIB gun had issues requiring my gunsmith's attention.  As I recall it had either loading or ejection problems, but once tweaked it became very reliable.  Perhaps the best part of this gun was the price, as I paid something like $300 for it...another Estate sale gun.

My Scott/McDougall piece was well used, but also very reliable at time of purchase.  I paid considerably more for this gun, but from what I'm hearing and seeing of today's prices it would still be a bargain.  Because of the sturdy design of this gun and the fact it has some wear points, I use this gun as a pocket equivalent of a "trunk gun"...something small-ish and reliable that I don't mind dressing in a cheap Nemesis-type holster and throwing in a rucksack.

A side note...  I was able to track down Scott soon after the Scott/McDougall business enterprise ended.  The reason it ended was because McDougall experienced an untimely death, and as the two men were also good friends, Scott was at a point where he didn't care to go on with the successful business alone.  At the time of contact I was fortunate that Scott still had some custom parts available for the P9, which I picked up on.  Best of all he still had a small quantity of the custom Scott/McDougall magazines for the P9 and I obtained two or three at an excellent price of ~ $20/each...!!!  Unfortunately I lost my contact points for Scott in a computer crash but if interested in locating him you might want to do a Google search like I did.  As I said - Scott still had some hard to find magazines left for sale at a very good price.

All and all I am very happy with my Colt Pocket Nines, and as a result I became interested in collecting other small, out of production Colts such as the Mustang and .380 Government model...which is among my favorites.

Unless your mind set is "gotta have it NOW", which I'm sure we have all experienced, my starting advice on the decision to purchase a P9 would be to suggest patience.  Look around the forums for a good working gun at a "fair" price...realizing "fair" is a relative thing.  My guess is that anything under $1000 would be fair on today's market...although I might hold out for a bargain to be found at the $500 - $700 range.  Others here might have better, up to date opinions on that though.  Interesting gun, bordering on being a belt piece due to weight, but still possible as a pocket gun depending on your size, clothing, and comfort levels...TW<<  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:43:22 PM by TW »

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
Re: Colt Pocket Nine
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:26:10 PM »
I just picked up a NIB Colt P9 for $899 about an hour ago.  I can't wait to shoot it.  It matches up well with Colt Mustang II Pocketlite.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocket Nine
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 04:15:20 PM »
I just picked up a NIB Colt P9 for $899 about an hour ago.  I can't wait to shoot it.  It matches up well with Colt Mustang II Pocketlite.

Congrats on your new P9, Slick...!  As mentioned elsewhere around here - I purchased a couple P9s after reading about and looking at FUD's P-9s...and I'm glad I did.  My first P9 had been customized and carried a lot...and it showed.  But the gun has been flawless since my first round through it.  My second was a NIB...and after a clean and lube I had problems with it right away.  Fortunately I know a Colt Armorer who tweaked, as needed and now it too is flawless.  I love these guns...!  They are not R9s, but they are special in their own way and a great carry gun.

I also have a few Mustangs and Government .380s which I love.  One of these days I hope to obtain one or two Ponys...

I hope you enjoy your P9 as much as the rest of us here have...!...TW<<

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »
Thanks TW, anything special I should know that needs to be tweaked off the bat?  Any ammo work better than others in these?

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocket Nine
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »
Thanks TW, anything special I should know that needs to be tweaked off the bat?  Any ammo work better than others in these?

Slick...  FUD would be better qualified to answer these questions than me.  I'm in a hurry just now but will say my P9s like .115gr Gold Dots and/or .115 Silvertips...TW<<

Offline SammColt45

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »
I have carried and shot the Federal 115 grain +P+ ammo for many years now.  I have shot about 100 rounds of this ammo for test purposes.   For practice, I have used Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips as well as whatever inexpensive 115 grain hardball I can find.  I have not experienced any problems with any ammo I have tried in this gun, and it is totally stock.  I love the gun.

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 06:06:15 PM »
Thanks to both of you.

Offline joyfulblue

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 06:13:37 AM »
I have a Colt Pocket Nine NIB, with 2 magazines.  Wife needs a hip replacement, so it's time to sell.  If  anyone is interested, I'm asking $800.  It IS NEW in box with original factory grease.  I bought 2 when Colt discontinued them.  The one I'm using is superb.  Functions flawlessly.   :)

I also have a Colt Pony Pocketlite (.380).  New in Box.  Bought 2 of them also.  I love the Pony - carry it frequently.  Modified it with a Wolff recoil spring for superb functioning.  I'm asking $750 for the NIB.  joyfulblue@sbcglobal.net