Author Topic: Looking for a full size .45  (Read 36850 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: Looking for a full size .45
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
 I just checked out the Sig 220 Elite Stainless at a Local Gunshop. Very nice Piece. The top 2 on my list are now the Kimber Warrior and the Sig 220 Elite Stainless.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
Looks like you're getting closer to a decision.  Good luck!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »
 I really want an r45  :) but both of these manufacturers have the reputation of very good good reliabilty and accuracy.  The Sig 220 Stainless Elite is a very nice looking Piece.  The Warrior looks like All Business. I already have a Sig and was trying to find a Non Sig for variety, but, it really is a nice gun.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
The R45 will be sometime in coming.  The Warrior does look good.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
Chief:

That Kimber Warrior is one fine 1911-type handgun. It also comes with a light rail which I recall your having said you wanted.

I've just come in from an afternoon of driving and walking through some pretty serious back country. I was carrying that Clark Custom Colt pictured near the top of this thread OWB, with my R9 (of course) riding backup in my front pocket. The point of relating this bit of trivia is that the combination of a full size .45 and the R9 was . . . how shall I say this . . . very comforting to have along.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »
If you currently do not own any 1911 45, I'd go 1911 first.  
It's the best fighting pistol design period!
Just look at the numbers.

Then later you can dink around with a Sig 220.  But take from a man who owns both ( 2, 220's and 20+ 1911's) -  that Sig ain't what it's cracked up to be.

But then, hey they're guns! How can you go wrong!

Good Luck

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »
 Good to know about the Sig, Hard to find someone with Both to talk to objectively. I have had a few Gold cups and even a 10mm Colt 1911 type . But have sold them off or traded over the years. I used to shoot .45's for the Navy on one of their shooting teams but that was 35 years ago. I guess because of all the rounds fired through the .45's over the years my curiosity kept aiming me at othe types of guns.
(Kind of a "Grass is always greener" type of thing I guess.) But Technolgy being what it is, and the climate being what it is, it is time to go back to an old friend. Little history on the Warrior, it was developed for Sofcom. (The Marines Specwarfare side)
Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »
My vote would be for the 1911, too.  The Kimber Warrior looks outstanding.

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »
I would have to tend to agree with Reinz...

Nothing beats a 1911 based pistol of medium to excellent quality.

I just bought a Glock 36 as a "tool" to leave in my truck. If someone breaks into the vehicle and find it, atleast its not one of my higher end 45s

I like Sigs but they have one feature I don't like, the "boreline" is too high. If there was ever a 45 that I would carry exclusively it would be a P9s 45 combat type. Its boreline is real low and ...well... its friggin accurate as hell....its also "anti-snag" proof already as everything is rounded and a concealed hammer....oh , then there is the cool factor of it. I have two of these things in minty status and I am actually looking for a semi-beatup one to carry.

just my two cents....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:05:37 PM by P7Enigma »
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »

I fully agree with the Glock 36. Although I love 1911s the 36 is a very sweet shooting and accurate pistol; it always works. If you just can't stand Glocks that is another issue.

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
Yep...I might even be one of those Glunk haters but a tool is a tool and there is definitely no nostalgia in a gun fight. I don't think the "recipient" is going to care about what "kind" of gun shot him and the shooter need only be concerned with what he can shoot well, what he is afraid of not losing coupled with the "robustness" of the weapon to survive abuse and neglect possibly...hence the reason the Glunk is in the trunk..actually the truck ::)

BBQ guns are a totally different ballgame...bring on the R9s, the P7s, hi powers, Custom 45s and all those other guns you would otherwise might not carry.

Speaking of BBQs...I heard there was one this weekend at DDs place and he kept iterating free beer and all the steak you can eat. Something about celebrity status quo! ;D

DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
I love the Glock and for the reason's Tracker articulated, though, if the Chief wants to spend $1500 or a little less, as he stated,  I'm going to have to go with the 1911.

And I'm on my way to DD's BBQ.  Hope I'm not late.    ;D    ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:39:05 PM by kjtrains »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
Good to know about the Sig, Hard to find someone with Both to talk to objectively. I have had a few Gold cups and even a 10mm Colt 1911 type . But have sold them off or traded over the years. I used to shoot .45's for the Navy on one of their shooting teams but that was 35 years ago. I guess because of all the rounds fired through the .45's over the years my curiosity kept aiming me at othe types of guns.
(Kind of a "Grass is always greener" type of thing I guess.) But Technolgy being what it is, and the climate being what it is, it is time to go back to an old friend. Little history on the Warrior, it was developed for Sofcom. (The Marines Specwarfare side)
Chief

Cheif -  Now I really know where you are coming from.

I have a Gold Cup; which I have not shot since I got my first Wilson 24 years ago.  No comparison.

Now I have over a dozen Kimbers.  I think those offer the most features/value for the money.  To me, they do not shoot quite as "nuts on" as my Wilsons or Les Baer, but much better than my Gold Cup.
And I do shoot and carry the Kimbers,

Yeah, I have heard a few bad stories about some bad Kimbers getting out there.   But like any big gun company that puts out the numbers like they do, a few bad ones will get out of the barn.

Trust me, that Warrior will shoot the pants off those Gold Cups  you had and more so those military models.

Good Luck

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
Reinz.  You must have a safe just for your 1911's.  Good for you.  I do like the 1911.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 08:05:12 AM »
  The only Kimbers I have heard had issues were the 3" models. Seems the issues all went away at 4" and above.

Back when I was shooting on the team, there were not that many options ,as far as good guns went out there, so The Colt Gold Cup was where we started and then it was modified. But today's production Kimber probably outshoots our Target Pistols from 35 Years ago. At the age I am now, it is getting so all the guns outshoot me, so I am more into the Options such as Fiber optics, Light Rails, reliability, etc. Things that help offset the things I cannot help like eyes that don't focus like they used to. (and being an Engineer the mechanics of the weapon are important)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member