Author Topic: Looking for a full size .45  (Read 37442 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: Looking for a full size .45
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »
 I have owned Glocks in the past and the one thing they do is work. I never concidered it would not fire. The main reason our military do not get them instead of Berrettas is that they were not Double Action.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
I have owned Glock 36 and 30 and love the model 36. I am a thin guy and I don't get near the accuracy with a double stack gun as I do with a single stack.

If I am not mistaken, Glocks are considered double action guns. For some reason, Glock's "safety action" is considered double action although I find this difficult to believe. I am only relating what I read somewhere.

I believe the absence of a safety (Beretta) or decocker (Sig) is why our military avoided them. Could be wrong; feel free to educate me.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
I do like the Glock 33.  Although, it is double stack gun,  the .357 sig serves my purpose well.  

It's amazing, to me,  how it devours the Remington UMC without a glitch of any kind.  At the time, the UMC, was all my FFL had, and said, not to worry; the Glock will handle it.  It did, flawlessly.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
ACP, You are correct also in the things you mentioned, Lack of External safety was another big stumbling block. We were issued Sigs in NavSpecWarfare side in many of our units, but Glocks were not an option as far as the Navy was concerned.
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »
I'm late to this party but if I were you I'd look hard at the H&K 45C which seems to have every thing that you are looking for. I have one and it is acurate and reliable, very well built and just the right size. I'm supprised someone has'nt mentioned it yet. :o
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »
Chief,

Thank you for educating me. Sig Yes. Beretta No.

Can't stand Berettas; never liked open slide guns. And, the military loss of the immortal 1911 is something I still mourn.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
kjtrains:

I backed off Glock Model 33 because it is double stack. Love the .357Sig cartridge. If Glock offered a single stack compact .357, I would be there.

Glocks digest all ammo. They are magnificently engineered. Ugly? Yeah; until you own one and shoot it.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »
YEP!  Changed my whole perpective of a Glock.  Now, I am a advocate, for sure.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
I picked up two Glock 36Cs and fired one and was going to sell one to my step brat but now he doesn't want it. I know this is not in the FS area but thought it would be relevent. Unfired in box with two mags and mag extensions. PM if you are interested in it.
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »
P7Enigma,

This post belongs in the classifieds section of this forum; dedicated to selling non-Rohrbaugh firearms.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »

Chief,

What was issued in NavSpecWarfare prior to the Sigs?

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2010, 08:14:06 AM »
 We also had HK-P11 (Fired Underwater with a Dart attachment), .45's , And even .22LR (Early was a high standard, Later was a Ruger, Sig-228's were the Sigs. That is what got me to buy one for myself. Beautiful Weapons. All Business. One of the nice things on the SpecWarFare side of the Navy at least, is that they tried thier best to get us the right tool for the job.

Chief
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:07:35 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
As opposed to the MK 23... ;D

DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »
"ACP"  - Understood boss....The Glock 36 post above was only relevent to this thread being we were talking about them. I really don't need to sell it but if there was anyone in this "thread" that maybe wanted it....hence the "should be in FS area" remark. 8)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:30 AM »
The MK23 is a nice piece but I never got to run one. We all loved having the power of the .45 . They came along after I retired. I retired in 1992 they came in 1996. Very nice piece from the looks of it. We all grumbled (ok Bitched) alot when they tried to downsize us from .45 to 9mm.  But as I mentioned previously, they always tried to get us the right tool.
  Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member