Author Topic: Kahr CW 380... IT'S BACK ALREADY!! 👍 KAHR  (Read 34021 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Kahr CW 380... IT'S BACK ALREADY!! 👍 KAHR
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »
I see there are several seecamp owners on this forum.

Talk about a carry much and shoot little gun ... Wow. This things raps knuckles like an old school nun my dad used to tell me about back in the day when he was in grade school. Lol.

As a plus you have to give credit for forging a fine piece of craftsmanship as well as making, to the best of my knowledge, the smallest auto .380. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

I think I may be looking into a Kahr380 one of these days. Anyone love this pistol?

Sometimes i opt to carry the Seecamp for its smallness. I don't have the most confidence in it though  I think that the Kahr380 would be much more shootable.

Also I have had the trigger bar piece break in two on mine as well as both mags end up cracked with broken followers. Larry was great and replaced them with no problems, but reliability is a tad spooky.

Does anyone have any feedback on this topic?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:41:56 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline trident

Re: What do you guys think of the Seecamp 380? OUCH 😖
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
I love mine...yea it hits the finger a bit, but so what. Wear a bandaid like some do. I dont get the heavy recoil thing ? When I got my 340pd all I read was how it will blow a hand off...yea right its stout with full .357 loads but my hands intact lol

Now for the bad its  only real advantage is the cross sectional density of the .380 vs .32.

Even Larry S edc a .32

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »
Let's start this off by saying I like Seecamps.  At this time I have 6 -25's, 8 - 32's, 3 - 380's, a Colt Commander conversion and a Colt Government Model conversion.  Now before you start laughing, two of these are engraved and there are several sets of restricted editions and some I just picked up at a good price.

I have not carried a Seecamp in at least 10 or 12 years..  I have no confidence in my ability to protect myself with a LWS 380, and there are a lot more effective pistols in my mind than a LWS32.  If I carried a bug, I would give the 32 some thought.

My objective to carrying a pistol is to have the most effective caliber that I can use proficiently without totally changing the way I dress and conduct myself.

Just because a pistol will fit in my pocket as easy as a cigarette lighter does not appeal to me.

The Kahr P380 is my favorite 380 pistol.  Put it in a super fly holster and it disappears in my pocket.  I carry it when dress dictates that i carry a smaller pistol.  I have friends who have both the P380 and the CW380  and the cheaper gun performs just as well.  The P380 is the only 380 since my Mustang that is fun to shoot.  It is both accurate and so easy to shoot, you don't want to stop.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:35:28 AM by MRC »

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
I always have "something" on me no matter what or where(as long as it's legal of course), so, even around my house I carry a Kahr P380 and forget that it's there sometimes. Weight is a factor for me as well as all the other variables. It is one of the easier shooting 380's I've tried. Years ago I reloaded and shot hundreds of rounds 44mag, but there is nothing more aggravating to my older hands now than a little pistol to snappy on my knuckles. R
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:04:36 AM »
Yeah I'm going to have to get one. The LWS is pretty just not as practical as this sounds to be.

Trident: what do you mean by cross sectional density?

Thanks for the good input.

MRC: I would like to see that collection. Sounds cool. In your opinion is there a great diff between the P and CW other than the hexagonal rifling?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
Yeah I'm going to have to get one. The LWS is pretty just not as practical as this sounds to be.

Trident: what do you mean by cross sectional density?

Thanks for the good input.

MRC: I would like to see that collection. Sounds cool. In your opinion is there a great diff between the P and CW other than the hexagonal rifling?

It is Sectional Density and it is an objects mass divided by it's cross sectional area.

The only difference in the CW and the P is one less magazine, cheaper markings, and some MIM parts (mainly the slide stop which is important).  The P's barrel is a Lother /Walther match grade, but is that really need on a SD pocket pistol?  I have talked to guys with both and they shoot identical.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
Forgive the simple minded question please. How does the sectional density relate to the pros and cons of the pistol? Not trying to be a wise guy I just don't get it. Thanks.

So if you were buying one to EDC and shoot and not really care about the long term value of the pistol etc what would you purchase? P or CW?  Looks like the P will cost +\- $200 more. What do you think MRC?

Anyone else have experience or an opinion?

John Stuart Mill

Offline trident

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
The 380 punches a slightly bigger hole than a 32.  ;)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:21:04 PM »
Forgive the simple minded question please. How does the sectional density relate to the pros and cons of the pistol? Not trying to be a wise guy I just don't get it. Thanks.

So if you were buying one to EDC and shoot and not really care about the long term value of the pistol etc what would you purchase? P or CW?  Looks like the P will cost +\- $200 more. What do you think MRC?

Anyone else have experience or an opinion?

Josh, that is going to depend on the person doing the buying.  The guy I know that has both bought the CW380 for a backup and was pleasantly surprised.

You would still need another magazine and the MIM takedown pin scares me a little, but if I was not going to shoot it a lot, what the hell.

Personally, I would go for the P380.  Polygonal rifling gives better velocities and at least for me, it nice to own the best.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
Sounds good to me.

So are you saying the takedown is also different on the CW? I get this impression from the mention of a MIM takedown pin.

As always you are a wealth of good info sir.

Thanks for all of the help.

John Stuart Mill

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »
I've had a Seecamp 380 a P380 and an LCP 380 and the P380 was hands down the best shooting of the bunch.  The Seecamp is a finely crafted gun but knocked the crap out of my trigger finger and I'm not wearing a bandaid to practice with any gun, I sold it and moved on. I no longer have any 380s.
  Now my smallest carry pieces are the Pup and a Kahr PM9
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »
I've had most of the pocket 380s at some point. 

LCP and Bodyguard are gone.  Great reliable pistols for the money, but didn't capture my attention.  P380 and LWS380 are both lifetime keepers along with the 90's era Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

IMHO the P380 is the best small pocket 380 available because it shoots like a much bigger pistol.  It can also be had in black with night sights. (Bonus)
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 02:50:28 AM »
The seecamp 32 is my favorite because of size and safety. It is the fastest gun you can get into action (pocket pistol). The Colt Pony should be remade.

AS for the seecamp 380 - ouch

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:03:04 AM »
Well I have picked up a CW380. Why a CW rather than a P you may ask.  The answer is simple. The LGS didn't have a P, but the had a mildly used CW380 for $250 + tax.

I couldn't resist. I guess if I must add the P to the collection later I can't be hurt by paying $250 for this like new CW380.

Well i knew it was like new from looking it over, but I was surprised to see it only 200 serial numbers away from a brand new one they had in the case. Lol. The owner told the guy showing it to me that so and so brought it back as a trade in. After a roll of the eyes he informed me that so and so trades every few weeks and that he would be surprised if it had 50 rounds through it. Well I filled out the paperwork, and smacked down the cash.

Brought it home and ran 50 blazers through it as fast as I could (it was cold)

I was impressed. Very smooth!! Fired all 50 without a hiccup. Shot 7 rounds as fast as I could one handed with my weak hand. No problem. Nice trigger as all reviews point out.

So of course I wanted to show my father in law my deal that I found for $250. He's a 1911 guy and hates all things non 1911 (his wife has a 238 that he appreciates, BUT that's it), but I was kinda proud and wanted to show the wisdom of a very affordable pocket pistol. Lol. I rand 6 flawless rounds as fast as I could into a 55 gallon drum 7 paces away. Then pleased as punch handed him the gun. Of the 7 rounds he attempted to run through it 5 failed to go all the way into battery when the slide rocked forward. So the my nephew gave it a whirl. Not much better. Then I began to explain that it had a 200 round break in and blah, blah, blah : ) well if Hickock pocket carries a P9 they can't be all that bad. Lol. It was ugly.

I brought it home and cleaned it and polished the ramp and can't wait to run another 125 rounds through it.

I believe it will end up a great pistol, but my father in law wouldn't believe it if I saved his life with it at this point. Hilarious!!

I'll post more on it later to let everybody know how it does. Wish it was a P, but I'm happy with it for now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:14:06 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
Put another 57 through the CW380 today after a good cleaning. That makes 132 from me and probably very few from the previous owner.

It shot flawlessly for me, but my kid and nephew struggled with a handlful of rounds to feed properly. Likely due to limp wristing of course.

It's a nice little gun.

I don't see anywhere that says no +P so I guess its +P rated. Safe assumption?

I hear the golden saber +p is a good round.

LJ what does your experience tell you is the best short barrel .380?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 11:41:11 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill