Author Topic: Can nothing be done?  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
Can nothing be done?
« on: November 24, 2005, 08:55:42 AM »
DD, not wanting to be a 'Trouble-Maker', 'Whiner', or any other kind of PITA, but, my good friend, would you just look at the guitar postings on my thread about my little R9 failure??

It's called 'Hi-Jacking' a thread and here's where's it's annoying:

* I, like many others here have a rather tight schedule and minimum time to devote to this site as well as others. The major aim of this site, as I note in the intro material, is to facilitate the discussion of the R9 pistol and related topics.
A noble endeavor and something for which I am grateful.
Having a topic of a thread explicitly state it is dealing with one poster's R9 experience, and then have it degenerate into a discussion about musical instruments (or pick-up trucks) is something which should be curbed.

* Why? Well, as I examine my emails looking for input from brother R9ers, I have four indications that four replies to my R9 situation are 'New' and awaiting my attention..
However, as I check out those posts, I am looking at -- you guessed it, guitar talk.

Now, do not get me wrong, I enjoy music- especially guitar stuff- a lot and would think the loss of that instrument would depreciate the entire human condition.. It's just that the discussion about guitars is in the wrong place.

Maybe those who hijack threads do not understand this concept of having a thread devoted to the topic stated by the original poster? Maybe those individuals could care less as to how and where they post anything of interest to themselves?
I do not know, but it seems that whenever a hijacking takes place, there's a loss of direction and intent.

Just my two cents and I am hoping my purpose is seen for what it is.. a cleaner, more effecient bd which makes reading the content less confusing.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you and your family and friends have a most excellent Thanksgiving!

Jim

(PS: I sure hope this does not come back with comments upon our hunting dogs-- my favorite was a bluetick, BTW. ;) )

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Can nothing be done?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 09:50:01 AM »
Skyhook,

That is a very good point which is well received.

I have been especially guilty of changing the subject in threads, and now intend to be more careful in the future, thanks to your gentle reminder.

It would be difficult for someone to do problem resolution when the subject suddenly switches to cat food.

This is indeed a wonderful forum which deserves topics which are better defined, which do not stray from the main subject.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 09:58:43 AM by Michigunner »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:23:59 AM »
Skyhook

I understand were you're coming from that you started that thread because of a bad, and scary, experience with your R9.  Therefore you are interested to hear from other R9 owners who may be able to give you some advice, feedback, and support.  I know at the start of that thread, that is now approaching 3000 views, many did.

Many of us, including myself, have had threads "hijacked" as we call it.  I also am quility on commenting on an area that is not the thread topic.  In truth it doesn't bother me and let me explain.

What drew me to this forum was the interaction of the members.  This and the Seecamp forum are the only guns forums I belong to.  The Seecamp forum has a number of members from this one and it has also became a nice place to visit and it is still maturing.

When I start a thread I see it as inviting others into my home and sit with me around the fireplace to have a nice conversation.  Yes the main topic is the thread heading, but with any gathering of friends the conversation "wonders".  Even though a thread may shift to other areas it usually goes back the original topic when someone has something to say in that area.

Example being I recently replied to Richard about my mother being diagnosed with cancer several days ago.  The thread was not about health matters but I knew Richard's wife won a cancer battle.  He shared this in a thread that also had nothing to do with cancer.  Then Tom shared that his wife was just dianosed with cancer and talked about his own disability.  Since then Tom and I have had some nice conversations on the phone.  The thread eventually got back on track. What happened was cyber friends got together for a short time to find comfort in something that was important to them.  Just as Richard and Bill gave me some comfort on my mom.

Yes maybe someone could have started a thread under "General Discussion" on guitars.  I don't find it a big problem and in many cases a new thread is started.  Once again if a group of friends came to my house to talk about R9 feeding problems,  and a few wanted to mention the start of deer hunting season, I wouldn't say go to another room.  I once again find it nice they feel comfortable enough to discuss other topics.

So in conclusion in a long reply, if the forum was different I would not visit it as much.  There is only so much you can say about a R9.  But the R9 is the magnet that pulls special people together.

I never check to be notified of topic replies by email for this reason.  I too have a busy schedule but can find a few minutes to scroll down to the end of the threads that I am interested in.  My thoughts.
Take care,
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 11:57:04 AM »
 As much as I hate 'Thread Drift',   I contribute to it myself,  from time to time..  

I agree with you, and will try to avoid in the future..
RJ=

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 01:04:38 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

In the big picture this is surely not a major issue, to be sure, but rather a minor annoyance.

As for the free-wheeling business of which MountainmMan speaks, I think that is also very valuable and think that it is better practiced in, say, the other forums (fora?) which are nicely presented us, here.

I know when something like slide cracking, or total failure of the weapon are concerned, keeping on topic is probably beneficial to us all.

Again, from my home to yours, Happy Thanksgiving, all!!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 07:32:53 PM »
Skyhook,

Certainly you are correct and I have intentionally avoided being a thread policeman in that respect -- for the reasons mentioned above.  This is a small and reasonably well-behaved and respectfull group and it hasnt been too much of a problem.  I have contributed myself no doubt.  And yes, sometimes it does degenerate into guitars or model airplanes or cars...

I will ask the "regulars" to be more viligant about drifting threads and will try to keep more of any eye on such things.  Still not as stricts as some boards -- but we can do a better job.

Thanks.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 08:23:23 PM »
Jim,

I have been guilty also - and the reason is I think because we are quite a close-knit bunch of folks, many of whom feel I think that they are among really quite good friends here.  I know I do.

This does not condone thread drift but is I think the reason we wander and ''chat'' rather randomly.  Your point is however perfectly valid and I think we can make an effort to tighten up on that.  If let's say a post or two do show vere then those involved can maybe state the beginnings of a new thread on such in the general chat subject area and leave the original thread not too altered.  :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »
I too have been guilty of contributing to "thread drift."  I apologize and shall attempt to do better.  However, to the extent that I have been guilty of such offense, it has been a spontaneous response to some previous comment -- much as occurs during conversation among friends.

In that regard, I am reminded of a quotation from Joseph Addison (1672-1719), who once wrote in The Spectator, no. 15 (March 17, 1711):  "True happiness is of a retired nature, and an enemy to pomp and noise; it arises, in the first place, from the enjoyment of one's self; and, in the next, from the friendship and conversation of a few select companions."

I rather believe that the unusual success of this forum is that it has become a source of friendship and conversation among a few select companions.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 08:12:26 PM »
[size=13]I rather believe that the unusual success of this forum is that it has become a source of friendship and conversation among a few select companions.[/size]

Very well put Richard :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »
Richard that was what I was trying to say above but you did it in much fewer words.  I have enjoyed the companionship the forum has offered.  

Speaking of companionship I haven't heard from our friend "theirishguard"  Tom for awhile.  Tom - you out there - hope all is fine - what to hear about that new service dog you just got?  Better start a thread on dogs though.

Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 08:01:31 PM »
Hi - My name is Brenden..I too am a contributer to "thread drift".. :o

I shall try to do better,and it has been several days since I have "drifted"  ;)

Sometimes with family,these things happen..

And I do consider you ALL part of a very special family!! 8)

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving!!

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 04:36:31 PM »
It is tough going thru all this stuff, just to pick the original thought. I guess we are all guilty of doing this drift.
I am still here and doing fine. My computer had problems finding the server. It is fixed now and here goes. The service dog is great as we are bonding.
I'll have to train him to make his own posts.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
The family known as the Real McCoys...
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 08:34:11 PM »
At 53, I still learn a lot of new things every day, including here.
I'm amazed at the comraderie I find here and in my Knife Collectors
List (email based). I found this forum after I bought my R9S, and boys,
I could not believe that any one group could be as close as we are at
the Knife List. So I, and I'm sure we all are delighted at our success at building a community.

I today learned of Topic Drift, and I plead guilty as charged. I know what you mean and in my mind, guns are slightly different in collectibility areas, as they first must function as a defensive weapon, then any appreciation is icing on the cake. Knives and other items are not subject to such demands (it's not the same;^).

I will try to stay on topic from now on. Just forgive me if I forget sometime. I'm old...

Granpappy Amos McCoy

Richard that was what I was trying to say above but you did it in much fewer words.  I have enjoyed the companionship the forum has offered.  

Speaking of companionship I haven't heard from our friend "theirishguard"  Tom for awhile.  Tom - you out there - hope all is fine - what to hear about that new service dog you just got?  Better start a thread on dogs though.

Dave
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 09:20:12 PM »
Hey Andy,
You don't know what old is, yet; like Amos and Andy said:
"Good judgment comes from experience and when asked by
the other where experience comes from, he said. "bad
judgment". Amen, brother.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Can nothing be done?
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 12:36:53 AM »
>>Tonight I am tired, cranky - and in a fair amount of pain, actually (thread drift)...and for this reason perhaps I am also feeling a bit "touchy" about certain political corectness ideas tonight (thread drift).

Personally, I would say that 95% of the time I enjoy and appreciate what probably constitutes thread drift around here...because I enjoy the relationships here which are indeed, quite unique.  Matter of fact...without some amout of drift I would probably get board and go some place else...!

Now...if I had a particular topic I wanted/needed help with...and I encountered more drift than I was comfortable with - I would just say so and redirect the conversation back to the topic...simple as that...and that would probably be all it took to get folks on topic and sensitive to my need.

Bottom line for me...  With this group in particular...  A thread without some potential for drift is like a bad first date where one or both parties gets so wrapped up with themselves that they miss the forest for the trees...see...?  Trees, man...!  I want to see threes, I mean trees...!!  **TW takes pain meds and staggers off to bed**...